- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 575463, 12 pages
Designing Tangible User Interfaces for NFC Phones
1Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Infotech Oulu, University of Oulu, P.O. Box 4500, 90014 Oulu, Finland
2Faculty of Arts and Design, University of Lapland, P.O. Box 122, 96101 Rovaniemi, Finland
3Oulun Energia, P.O. Box 116, 90101 Oulu, Finland
Received 7 July 2011; Accepted 11 October 2011
Academic Editor: Kiyoshi Kiyokawa
Copyright © 2012 Mikko Pyykkönen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- NFC Forum, “Near Field Communication and the NFC Forum: The Keys to Truly Interoperable Communications,” 2007, http://www.nfc-forum.org/resources/white_papers/nfc_forum_marketing_white_paper.pdf.
- H. Ishii and B. Ullmer, “Tangible bits: Towards seamless interfaces between people, bits and atoms,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '97), pp. 234–241, New York, NY, USA, March 1997.
- NFC Forum, “Essentials for successful NFC ecosystem,” October 2008, http://www.nfc-forum.org/resources/white_papers/NFC_Forum_Mobile_NFC_Ecosystem_White_Paper.pdf.
- NFC Forum, “SmartPosters. How to use NFC tags and readers to create interactive experiences that benefits consumer and business,” 2011, http://www.nfc-forum.org/resources/white_papers/NFC_Smart_Posters_White_Paper.pdf.
- J Riekki, I Sanchez, and M Pyykkonen, “Remote control for pervasive services,” International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 39–58, 2010.
- I. Sánchez, J. Riekki, J. Rousu, and S. Pirttikangas, “Touch & share: RFID based ubiquitous file containers,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM '08), pp. 57–63, December 2008.
- J. Riekki, M. Cortés, M. Hytönen, I. Sánchez, and R.-L. Korkeamäki, “Learning to read by touching nametags with NFC phones,” in the 4th International eLearning Baltics Conference (eLBa '11), Rostock, Germany, May 2011.
- D Balaban, “Research Firm Increases NFC Phone Forecast on Heels of Isis Shift,” NFC Times, May 2011, http://www.nfctimes.com/news/research-firm-increases-nfc-phone-forecast-heels-isis-shift.
- R. Want, K. P. Fishkin, A. Gujar, and B. L. Harrison, “Bridging physical and virtual worlds with electronic tags,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '99), pp. 370–377, May 1999.
- AIM Global, “AIM Global Standard for the Use of the AIM RFID Emblem and Index to Identify RFID-enabled Labels,” 2.01,2005, http://www.aimglobal.org/.
- T. Arnall, “A graphic language for touch-based interactions,” in Proceedings of Mobile Interaction with the Real World (MIRW) in conjunction with the 8th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, 2006.
- T. Arnall, “RFID field icon, Immaterials: the ghost in the field,” 2011, http://www.nearfield.org/2009/10/immaterials-the-ghost-in-the-field.
- A. Hang, G. Broll, and A. Wiethoff, “Visual design of physical user interfaces for NFC-based mobile interaction,” in Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS '10), pp. 292–301, Aarhus, Denmark, August 2010.
- Cityzi label, 2010, https://www.cic.fr/iberbanco/fr/banques/le-cic/actualites-et-publications/actualites/2010-05-18_lancement-cityzi/index.html, http://www.arcep.fr/fileadmin/reprise/communiques/communiques/2010/slides-serv-mob-sans-contact-fev10-eng.pdf.
- Sony, “Felica Contactless IC Card Technology,” July 2011, http://www.sony.net/Products/felica/.
- J. Riekki, T. Salminen, and I. Alakärppä, “Requesting pervasive services by touching RFID tags,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2006.
- J. Riekki, “RFID and smart spaces,” International Journal of Internet Protocol Technology, vol. 2, no. 3-4, pp. 143–152, 2007.
- I. Sanchez, M. Cortes, J. Riekki, and M. Pyykkönen, “NFC-Based Physical User Interfaces for Interactive Spaces,” in Near Field Communications Handbook (Internet and Communications), S. A. Ahson and M. Ilyas, Eds., Auerbach Publications, 2011.
- H. Ailisto, L. Pohjanheimo, P. Välkkynen, E. Strömmer, T. Tuomisto, and I. Korhonen, “Bridging the physical and virtual worlds by local connectivity-based physical selection,” Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 333–344, 2006.
- Google Places, July 2011, http://www.google.com/places/.
- D. Norman, “Cognitive engineering,” in User Centered System Design: New Perspectives on Human-Computer Interaction, D. A. Norman and S. W. Draper, Eds., pp. 31–61, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 1986.