Multimedia Transmission over Emerging Wireless TechnologiesView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Wei Wang, Dongming Peng, Honggang Wang, Hamid Sharif, Hsiao-Hwa Chen, "Energy-Constrained Quality Optimization for Secure Image Transmission in Wireless Sensor Networks", Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 025187, 9 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/25187
Energy-Constrained Quality Optimization for Secure Image Transmission in Wireless Sensor Networks
Resource allocation for multimedia selective encryption and energy efficient transmission has not been fully investigated in literature for wireless sensor networks (WSNs). In this article, we propose a new cross-layer approach to optimize selectively encrypted image transmission quality in WSNs with strict energy constraint. A new selective image encryption approach favorable for unequal error protection (UEP) is proposed, which reduces encryption overhead considerably by controlling the structure of image bitstreams. Also, a novel cross-layer UEP scheme based on cipher-plain-text diversity is studied. In this UEP scheme, resources are unequally and optimally allocated in the encrypted bitstream structure, including data position information and magnitude value information. Simulation studies demonstrate that the proposed approach can simultaneously achieve improved image quality and assured energy efficiency with secure transmissions over WSNs.
- T. Lookabaugh and D. C. Sicker, “Selective encryption for consumer applications,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 124–129, 2004.
- W. Yu, Z. Sahinoglu, and A. Vetro, “Energy efficient JPEG 2000 image transmission over wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '04), vol. 5, pp. 2738–2743, Dallas, Tex, USA, November-December 2004.
- J. M. Shapiro, “Embedded image coding using zerotrees of wavelet coefficients,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 3445–3462, 1993.
- A. Said and W. A. Pearlman, “A new, fast, and efficient image codec based on set partitioning in hierarchical trees,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 243–250, 1996.
- D. Taubman, “High performance scalable image compression with EBCOT,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1158–1170, 2000.
- W. Zeng and S. Lei, “Efficient frequency domain selective scrambling of digital video,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 118–129, 2003.
- M. S. Kankanhalli and T. T. Guan, “Compressed-domain scrambler/descrambler for digital video,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 356–365, 2002.
- C.-P. Wu and C.-C. J. Kuo, “Design of integrated multimedia compression and encryption systems,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 828–839, 2005.
- L. Tang, “Methods for encrypting and decrypting MPEG video data efficiently,” in Proceedings of the 4th ACM International Conference on Multimedia (MULTIMEDIA '96), pp. 219–229, Boston, Mass, USA, November 1996.
- M. Grangetto, E. Magli, and G. Olmo, “Multimedia selective encryption by means of randomized arithmetic coding,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 905–917, 2006.
- H. Cheng and X. Li, “Partial encryption of compressed images and videos,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 2439–2451, 2000.
- Z. Wu, A. Bilgin, and M. W. Marcellin, “Joint source/channel coding for multiple images,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 1648–1654, 2005.
- R. Hamzaoui, V. Stanković, and Z. Xiong, “Optimized error protection of scalable image bit streams,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 91–107, 2005.
- Q. Li and M. van der Schaar, “Providing adaptive QoS to layered video over wireless local area networks through real-time retry limit adaptation,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 278–290, 2004.
- M. van der Schaar and D. S. Turaga, “Cross-layer packetization and retransmission strategies for delay-sensitive wireless multimedia transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 185–197, 2007.
- W. Wang, D. Peng, H. Wang, and H. Sharif, “A cross layer resource allocation scheme for secure image delivery in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC '07), pp. 152–157, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, August 2007.
- National Institute for Standard and Technology (NIST), “Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 197: Advanced Encryption Standard (AES),” Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- D. J. Wheeler and R. M. Needham, “TEA, a tiny encryption algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Fast Software Encryption (FSE '94), vol. 1008 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 363–366, Springer, Leuven, Belgium, December 1994.
- T. H. Cormen, C. E. Leiserson, R. L. Rivest, and C. Stein, “Section 31.7: the RSA public-key cryptosystem,” in Introduction to Algorithms, pp. 881–887, MIT Press and McGraw-Hill, Boston, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- K. Lauter, “The advantages of elliptic curve cryptography for wireless security,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2004.
- W. Wang, D. Peng, H. Wang, H. Sharif, and H. H. Chen, “Optimal image component transmissions in multirate wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 50th Annual IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM '07), Washington, DC, USA, November 2007.
- C. Schurgers, O. Aberthorne, and M. B. Srivastava, “Modulation scaling for energy aware communication systems,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design (ISLPED '01), pp. 96–99, Huntington Beach, Calif, USA, August 2001.
- S. Haykin, Communication System, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1994.
- W. Stallings, Data and Computer Communications, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 7th edition, 2000.
- T. van Dam and K. Langendoen, “An adaptive energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '03), pp. 171–180, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, November 2003.
Copyright © 2007 Wei Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.