Multimedia networkingView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Irene Cheng, Lihang Ying, Anup Basu, "Packet-Loss Modeling for Perceptually Optimized 3D Transmission", Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 095218, 10 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/95218
Packet-Loss Modeling for Perceptually Optimized 3D Transmission
Transmissions over unreliable networks, for example, wireless, can lead to packet loss. An area that has received limited research attention is how to tailor multimedia information taking into account the way packets are lost. We provide a brief overview of our research on designing a 3D perceptual quality metric integrating two important factors, resolution of texture and resolution of mesh, which control transmission bandwidth, followed by a suggestion on alternative strategies for packet 3D transmission of both texture and mesh. These strategies are then compared with respect to preserving 3D perceptual quality under packet loss in ad hoc wireless networks. Experiments are conducted to study how buffer size, sending rate, sending intervals, and packet size can affect loss in unreliable channels. A model for estimating the optimal packet size is then proposed. We derive the optimal number of packets based on this model, and relate the theoretical derivations to actual network data.
- P. Heckbert and M. Garland, “Survey of polygonal surface simplification algorithms,” Tech. Rep. TR97-045, Computer Science Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, 1997.
- D. Luebke, M. Reddy, J. Cohen, A. Varshney, B. Watson, and R. Huebner, Level of Detail for 3D Graphics, Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 2002.
- A. Bakre and B. R. Badrinath, “I-TCP: indirect TCP for mobile hosts,” in Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS '95), pp. 136–143, Vancouver, BC, Canada, May-June 1995.
- D. Wu and R. Negi, “Effective capacity: a wireless link model for support of quality of service,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 630–643, 2003.
- G. Alregib, Y. Altunbasak, and J. Rossignac, “Error-resilient transmission of 3D models,” ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 182–208, 2005, Earlier version in ICASSP'02.
- Z. Chen, B. Bodenheimer, and J. Barnes, “Robust transmission of 3D geometry over lossy networks,” in Proceeding of the 8th International Conference on 3D Web Technology, pp. 161–172, Saint Malo, France, March 2003.
- K. K. Lee and S. T. Chanson, “Packet loss probability for real-time wireless communications,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1569–1575, 2002.
- Y. Pan, I. Cheng, and A. Basu, “Quality metric for approximating subjective evaluation of 3-D objects,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 269–279, 2005, Short version in IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 2003.
- S. Yang, C.-H. Lee, and C.-C. J. Kuo, “Optimized mesh and texture multiplexing for progressive textured model transmission,” in Proceedings of the 12th ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp. 676–683, New York, NY, USA, October 2004.
- D. Tian and G. Al-Regib, “FQM: a fast quality measure for efficient transmission of textured 3D models,” in Proceedings of the 12th ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp. 684–691, New York, NY, USA, October 2004.
- L. Balmelli, Rate-distortion optimal mesh simplification and communication, Ph.D. dissertation.
- Z. Yan, S. Kumar, and C.-C. J. Kuo, “Error-resilient coding of 3-D graphic models via adaptive mesh segmentation,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 860–873, 2001.
- P. Jaromersky, X. Wu, Y.-J. Chiang, and N. Memon, “Multiple-description geometry compression for networked interactive 3D graphics,” in Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Image and Graphics (ICIG '04), pp. 468–471, Hong Kong, December 2004.
- G. Al-Regib and Y. Altunbasak, “An unequal error protection method for packet loss resilient 3D mesh transmission,” in Proceedings of the 21st Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '02), vol. 2, pp. 743–752, New York, NY, USA, June 2002.
- Y. Wang and Q.-F. Zhu, “Error control and concealment for video communication: a review,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 974–997, 1998.
- Y. Wang, S. Wenger, J. Wen, and A. K. Katsaggelos, “Review of error resilient coding techniques for real-time video communication,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 61–82, 2000.
- J.-C. Bolot, S. Fosse-Parisis, and D. Towsley, “Adaptive FEC-based error control for Internet telephony,” in Proceedings of 18th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societie (INFOCOM '99), vol. 3, pp. 1453–1460, New York, NY, USA, March 1999.
- L. Baldantoni, H. Lundqvist, and G. Karlsson, “Adaptive end-to-end FEC for improving TCP performance over wireless links,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '04), vol. 7, pp. 4023–4027, Paris, France, June 2004.
- S.-W. Yuk, M.-G. Kang, B.-C. Shin, and D.-H. Cho, “An adaptive redundancy control method for erasure-code-based real-time data transmission over the Internet,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 366–374, 2001.
- K. Park and W. Wang, “QoS-sensitive transport of real-time MPEG video using adaptive redundancy control,” Computer Communications, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 78–92, 2001.
- C. H. Lin, C. H. Ke, C. K. Shieh, and N. K. Chilamkurti, “An enhanced adaptive FEC mechanism for video delivery over wireless networks,” in Proceedings of International Conference on Networking and Services (ICNS '06), p. 106, Santa Clara, Calif, USA, July 2006.
- J. L. Mannos and D. J. Sakrison, “The effects of a visual fidelity criterion on the encoding of images,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 525–536, 1974.
- J. O. Limb, “Distortion criteria of the human viewer,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 778–793, 1979.
- R. Caceres and L. Iftode, “Improving the performance of reliable transport protocols in mobile computing environments,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 850–857, 1995.
- H. Hoppe, “Progressive meshes,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Conference on Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH '96), pp. 99–108, New Orleans, La, USA, August 1996.
- I. Cheng, L. Ying, and A. Basu, “A perceptually driven model for transmission of arbitrary 3D models over unreliable networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on 3D Data Processing, Visualization and Transmission (3DPVT '06), Chapel Hill, NC, USA, June 2006.
- P. Alliez and M. Desbrun, “Valence-driven connectivity encoding for 3D meshes,” Computer Graphics Forum, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 480–489, 2001.
- S. Floyd, M. Handley, J. Padhye, and J. Widmer, “Equation-based congestion control for unicast applications,” in Proceedings of the ACM Annual Conference of the Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM '00), pp. 43–56, Stockholm, Sweden, August-September 2000.
- A. C. Feng, A. C. Kapadia, W.-C. Feng, and G. G. Belford, “Packet spacing: an enabling mechanism for delivering multimedia content in computational grids,” Journal of Supercomputing, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 51–66, 2002.
- Y. Gu and R. L. Grossman, “Optimizing UDP-based protocol implementations,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long-Distance Networks (PFLDnet '05), Lyon, France, February 2005.
- X. Zhang and H. Schulzrinne, “Voice over TCP and UDP,” Tech. Rep. CUCS-033-04, Department of Computer Science, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- R. El-Azouzi and E. Altman, “A queuing analysis of packet dropping over a wireless link with retransmissions,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Personal Wireless Communications (PWC '03), Venice, Italy, September 2003.
- V. K. M. Vadakital, M. M. Hannuksela, M. Razaei, and M. Gabbouj, “Optimal IP packet size for efficient data transmission in DVB-H,” in Proceedings of the 7th Nordic Signal Processing Symposium (NORSIG '06), pp. 82–85, Reykjavik, Iceland, June 2006.
- Y. Sankarasubramaniam, I. F. Akyildiz, and S. W. McLaughlin, “Energy efficiency based packet size optimization in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Workshop on Sensor Network Protocols and Applications (SNPA '03), pp. 1–8, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, May 2003.
- I. F. Akyildiz and I. Joe, “A new ARQ protocol for wireless ATM networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '98), vol. 2, pp. 1109–1113, Atlanta, Ga, USA, June 1998.
- P. Lettieri and M. B. Srivastava, “Adaptive frame length control for improving wireless link throughput, range, and energy efficiency,” in Proceedings of the 17th Annual IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM '98), vol. 2, pp. 564–571, San Francisco, Calif, USA, March 1998.
- E. Modiano, “An adaptive algorithm for optimizing the packet size used in wireless ARQ protocols,” Wireless Networks, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 279–286, 1999.
- C. K. Siew and D. J. Goodman, “Packet data transmission over mobile radio channels,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 95–101, 1989.
- J. D. Spragins, J. L. Hammond, and K. Pawlikowski, Telecommunications: Protocols and Design, Addison Wesley, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- D. Minoli, “Optimal packet length for packet voice communication,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 607–611, 1979.
- ISO/IEC 14496-2:2000, Amendment 1, “Coding of Audio-Visual Objects—Part 2: Visual version 2”, 2000.
Copyright © 2007 Irene Cheng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.