- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 715749, 10 pages
An Intercomparison of GPS RO Retrievals with Colocated Analysis and In Situ Observations within Tropical Cyclones
1Department of Meteorology, The Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, USA
2College of Marine Science, University of South Florida, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701, USA
Received 13 January 2010; Accepted 8 April 2010
Academic Editor: Zhaoxia Pu
Copyright © 2010 Henry R. Winterbottom and Qingnong Xiao. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Riehl and J. S. Malkus, “Some aspects of Hurricane Daisy, 1958,” Tellus, vol. 13, pp. 181–231, 1961.
- B. I. Miller, “On the momentum and energy balance of Hurricane Helene (1958),” NHRP Rep. 53, NOAA Weather Bureau, Miami Office, Miami, Fla, USA, 1962.
- N. E. LaSeur and H. F. Hawkins, “An analysis of hurricane Cleo (1958) based on data from research reconnaissance aircraft,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 91, pp. 694–709, 1963.
- W. M. Gray and D. J. Shea, “The Hurricane's inner core region. II. Thermal stability and dynamic characteristics,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 30, pp. 1565–1576, 1973.
- D. J. Shea and W. M. Gray, “The Hurricane's inner core region. I. Symmetric and asymmetric structure,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 30, pp. 1544–1564, 1973.
- D. P. Jorgensen, “Mesoscale and convective-scale characteristics of mature hurricanes. Part I: general observations by research aircraft,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1268–1285, 1984.
- F. D. Marks and R. A. Houze, “Inner core structure of Hurricane Alicia from airborne Doppler radar observations,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 44, pp. 1296–1317, 1987.
- J. L. Franklin, S. J. Lord, and F. D. Marks Jr., “Dropwindsonde and radar observations of the eye of Hurricane Gloria (1985),” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 116, no. 5, pp. 1237–1244, 1988.
- J. L. Franklin, S. J. Lord, S. E. Feuer, and F. D. Marks Jr., “The kinematic structure of Hurricane Gloria (1985) determined from nested analyses of dropwindsonde and Doppler radar data,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 121, no. 9, pp. 2433–2451, 1939.
- P. D. Reasor, M. T. Montgomery, F. D. Marks Jr., and J. F. Gamache, “Low-wavenumber structure and evolution of the hurricane inner core observed by airborne dual-Doppler radar,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 1653–1680, 2000.
- A. F. Hasler and K. R. Morris, “Hurricane structure and wind field from stereoscopic and infrared satellite observations and radar data,” Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 709–727, 1986.
- J. Simpson, R. F. Adler, and G. R. North, “A proposed tropical rainfall measuring mission (TRMM) satellite,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 69, pp. 278–295, 1988.
- J. B. Halverson, J. Simpson, G. Heymsfield, H. Pierce, T. Hock, and L. Ritchie, “Warm core structure of Hurricane Erin diagnosed from high altitude dropsondes during CAMEX-4,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 309–324, 2006.
- R. Ware, M. Exner, D. Feng, et al., “GPS sounding of the atmosphere from low earth orbit: preliminary results,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 19–40, 1996.
- E. R. Kursinski, G. A. Hajj, W. I. Bertiger, et al., “Initial results of radio occultation observations of Earth's atmosphere using the global positioning system,” Science, vol. 271, no. 5252, pp. 1107–1110, 1996.
- J. Wickert, C. Reigber, G. Beyerle, et al., “Atmosphere sounding by GPS radio occultation: first results from CHAMP,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 28, no. 17, pp. 3263–3266, 2001.
- R. Colomb, C. Alonso, and I. Nollmann, “SAC-C mission and the International AM Constellation for Earth Observation,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IAA Symposium on Small Satellites for Earth Observation, Berlin, Germany, April 2001.
- W. S. Schreiner, D. C. Hunt, C. Rocken, and S. Sokolovskiy, “Precise GPS data processing for the GPS/MET radio occultation mission at UCAR,” in Proceedings of the National Technical Meeting of the Institute of Navigation, pp. 103–112, Long Beach, Calif, USA, January 1998.
- C. Alber, R. Ware, C. Rocken, and J. Braun, “Obtaining single path phase delays from GPS double differences,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 27, no. 17, pp. 2661–2664, 2000.
- Y. H. Kuo and S. Businger, “COSMIC—Space based GPS,” presented at Kona 20-22, March 2007.
- G. Fjeldbo and V. R. Eshleman, “The atmosphere of mars analyzed by integral inversion of the Mariner IV occultation data,” Planetary and Space Science, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1035–1059, 1968.
- G. Fjeldbo, A. J. Kliore, and V. R. Eshelman, “The neutral atmosphere of Venus studies with the Mariner V radio occultation experiments,” The Astronomical Journal, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 123–140, 1971.
- X. Zou, F. Vandenberghe, B. Wang, et al., “A ray-tracing operator and its adjoint for the use of GPS/MET refraction angle measurements,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 104, no. 18, pp. 22301–22318, 1999.
- E. R. Kursinski, S. B. Healy, and L. J. Romans, “Initial results of combining GPS occultations with ECMWF global analyses within a 1DVar framework,” Earth, Planets and Space, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 885–892, 2000.
- B. R. Jarvinen, C. J. Neumann, and M. A. S. Davis, “A tropical cyclone data tape for the North Atlantic basin, 1886–1983: Contents, limitations, and uses,” Tech. Memo. NHC 22, NOAA/National Hurricane Center, Miami, Fla, USA, 1984.
- M. A. S. Davis, G. M. Brown, and P. Leftwich, “A tropical cyclone data tape for the eastern and central North Pacific basins, 1949–1983,” Tech. Memo. NHC-25, National Technical Information Service, Springfield, Va, USA, 1984.
- D.-Z. Sun and R. S. Lindzen, “Distribution of tropical tropospheric water vapor,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 1643–1660, 1993.
- R. E. Hart, “A cyclone phase space derived from thermal wind and thermal asymmetry,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 131, no. 4, pp. 585–616, 2003.
- J. L. Evans and R. E. Hart, “Objective indicators of the life cycle evolution of extratropical transition for Atlantic tropical cyclones,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 909–925, 2003.
- S. C. Jones, P. A. Harr, J. Abraham, et al., “The extratropical transition of tropical cyclones: forecast challenges, current understanding, and future directions,” Weather and Forecasting, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1052–1092, 2003.