Research Letter | Open Access
Jongee Park, Gürel Pekkan, Abdullah Ozturk, "Wear of MgO-CaO--F-Based Glass Ceramics Compared to Selected Dental Ceramics", Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2007, Article ID 069897, 5 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/69897
Wear of MgO-CaO--F-Based Glass Ceramics Compared to Selected Dental Ceramics
Wear of a glass-ceramic produced through controlled crystallization of a glass in the MgO-CaO--F system has been evaluated and compared to various commercial dental ceramics including IPS Empress 2, Cergo Pressable Ceramic, Cerco Ceram, and Super porcelain EX-3. Wear tests were performed in accord with the ASTM G99 for wear testing with a pin-on-disk apparatus. The friction coefficient and specific wear rate of the materials investigated were determined at a load of 10 N and at ambient laboratory conditions. Microhardness of the materials was also measured to elucidate the appropriateness of these materials for dental applications.
- A. D. Bona, J. J. Mecholsky Jr., and K. J. Anusavice, “Fracture behavior of lithia disilicate- and leucite-based ceramics,” Dental Materials, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 956–962, 2004.
- C. Schuh, E. J. Kinast, E. Mezzomo, and M. P. Kapczinski, “Effect of glazed and polished surface finishes on the friction coefficient of two low-fusing ceramics,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 245–252, 2005.
- M. Albakry, M. Guazzato, and M. V. Swain, “Fracture toughness and hardness evaluation of three pressable all-ceramic dental materials,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 181–188, 2003.
- R. R. Seghi, S. F. Rosenstiel, and P. Bauer, “Abrasion of human enamel by different dental ceramics in vitro,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 221–225, 1991.
- J. R. Kelly, I. Nishimura, and S. D. Campbell, “Ceramics in dentistry: historical roots and current perspectives,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 18–32, 1996.
- K. T. Metzler, R. D. Woody, A. W. Miller III, and B. H. Miller, “In vitro investigation of the wear of human enamel by dental porcelain,” The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 356–364, 1999.
- T. Kokubo, S. Ito, S. Sakka, and T. Yamamuro, “Formation of a high-strength bioactive glass-ceramic in the system MgO-CaO-,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 536–540, 1986.
- T. Kokubo, S. Ito, M. Shigematsu, S. Sakka, and T. Yamamuro, “Mechanical properties of a new type of apatite—containing glass—ceramic for prosthetic application,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 2001–2004, 1985.
- T. Nakamura, T. Yamamuro, S. Higashi, T. Kokubo, and S. Itoo, “A new glass-ceramic for bone replacement: evaluation of its bonding to bone tissue,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 685–698, 1985.
- W. Höland, V. Rheinberger, E. Apel et al., “Clinical applications of glass-ceramics in dentistry,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1037–1042, 2006.
- J. Park and A. Ozturk, “Tribological properties of MgO-CaO--F-based glass-ceramic for dental applications,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 8-9, pp. 1916–1921, 2007.
- S. N. White, V. G. Miklus, E. A. McLaren, L. A. Lang, and A. A. Caputo, “Flexural strength of a layered zirconia and porcelain dental all-ceramic system,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 125–131, 2005.
- L. L. Hench and J. Wilson, An Introduction to Bioceramics, World Scientific, Singapore, 1993.
- N. L. Clelland, V. Agarwala, L. A. Knobloch, and R. R. Seghi, “Relative wear of enamel opposing low-fusing dental porcelain,” Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 168–175, 2003.
- F. Borgioli, E. Galvanetto, F. Iozzelli, and G. Pradelli, “Improvement of wear resistance of Ti–6Al–4V alloy by means of thermal oxidation,” Materials Letters, vol. 59, no. 17, pp. 2159–2162, 2005.
- A. U. J. Yap, S. H. Teoh, G. W. Hastings, and C. S. Lu, “Comparative wear ranking of dental restorative materials utilizing different wear simulation modes,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 574–580, 1997.
- M. N. Mandikos, G. P. McGivney, E. Davis, P. J. Bush, and J. M. Carter, “A comparison of the wear resistance and hardness of indirect composite resins,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 386–395, 2001.
- L. H. Mair, T. A. Stolarski, R. W. Vowles, and C. H. Lloyd, “Wear: mechanisms, manifestations and measurement. Report of a workshop,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 24, no. 1–2, pp. 141–148, 1996.
- E. S. Reeh, W. H. Douglas, and M. J. Levine, “Lubrication of saliva substitutes at enamel-to-enamel contacts in an artificial mouth,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 649–656, 1996.
- E. W. Tillitson, R. G. Craig, and F. A. Peyton, “Friction and wear of restorative dental materials,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 149–154, 1971.
Copyright © 2007 Jongee Park et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.