Research Letter | Open Access
C. O'Dwyer, V. Lavayen, M. A. Santa Ana, E. Benavente, G. González, C. M. Sotomayor Torres, "Anisotropic Vanadium Oxide Nanostructured Host Matrices for Lithium Ion Intercalation", Advances in Physical Chemistry, vol. 2007, Article ID 032528, 5 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/32528
Anisotropic Vanadium Oxide Nanostructured Host Matrices for Lithium Ion Intercalation
We report on unique high-volume low-dimensional -based turbostratic nanostructures, prepared using sol-gel synthetic methods from xerogels. Electrochemical intercalation of to form resulted in a maximum measured charge capacity of 1225 mAh as the - phase. Conductivities of the order of 10−3 S cm−1 were found on compressed-nanotube parallelepipedal samples, which exhibit an anisotropy factor of 70 at room temperature by preferential alignment of the nanotubes. The improved electrochemical properties observed in novel vanadium oxide nanostructured arrays are attributed to the increased volumetric density for ion intercalation, shorter diffusion paths to the intercalation sites, and a high degree of crystallinity of the individual nanotubular host structures.
- R. Schöllhorn, Physics of Intercalation Compounds, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1981.
- M. S. Whittingham, “Lithium batteries and cathode materials,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 104, no. 10, pp. 4271–4302, 2004.
- M. E. Spahr, P. Stoschitzki-Bitterli, R. Nesper, O. Haas, and P. Novák, “Vanadium oxide nanotubes. A new nanostructured redox-active material for the electrochemical insertion of lithium,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 146, no. 8, pp. 2780–2783, 1999.
- Y. Wang and G. Z. Cao, “Synthesis and enhanced intercalation properties of nanostructured vanadium oxides,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 2787–2804, 2006.
- Y. Wang, K. Takahashi, K. H. Lee, and G. Z. Cao, “Nanostructured vanadium oxide electrodes for enhanced lithium-ion intercalation,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1133–1144, 2006.
- V. Lavayen, C. O'Dwyer, M. A. Santa Ana et al., “Comparative structural-vibrational study of nano-urchin and nanorods of vanadium oxide,” Physica Status Solidi B, vol. 243, no. 13, pp. 3285–3289, 2006.
- C. O'Dwyer, V. Lavayen, S. B. Newcomb et al., “Atomic layer structure of vanadium oxide nanotubes grown on nanourchin structures,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. A111–A114, 2007.
- C. O'Dwyer, D. Navas, V. Lavayen et al., “Nano-urchin: the formation and structure of high-density spherical clusters of vanadium oxide nanotubes,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 18, no. 13, pp. 3016–3022, 2006.
- V. Lavayen, C. O'Dwyer, G. González, G. Cárdenas, and C. M. Sotomayor Torres, “Towards thiol functionalization of vanadium pentoxide nanotubes using gold nanoparticles,” Materials Research Bulletin, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 674–685, 2007.
- C. O'Dwyer, V. Lavayen, S. B. Newcomb et al., “Vanadate conformation variations in vanadium pentoxide nanostructures,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 154, no. 8, pp. K29–K35, 2007.
- V. Sánchez, E. Benavente, V. Lavayen et al., “Pressure induced anisotropy of electrical conductivity in polycrystalline molybdenum disulfide,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 252, no. 22, pp. 7941–7947, 2006.
- V. Lavayen, N. Mirabal, C. O'Dwyer et al., “The formation of nanotubes and nanocoils of molybdenum disulphide,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 253, no. 12, pp. 5185–5190, 2007.
- H.-J. Muhr, F. Krumeich, U. P. Schönholzer et al., “Vanadium oxide nanotubes—a new flexible vanadate nanophase,” Advanced Materials, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 231–234, 2000.
- Y. Wang, H. Shang, T. Chou, and G. Z. Cao, “Effects of thermal annealing on the intercalation properties of xerogel films,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 22, pp. 11361–11366, 2005.
- K. West, B. Zachau-Christiansen, T. Jacobsen, and S. Skaarup, “Lithium insertion into vanadium pentoxide bronzes,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 76, no. 1-2, pp. 15–21, 1995.
- K. Lee, Y. Wang, and G. Z. Cao, “Dependence of electrochemical properties of vanadium oxide films on their nano- and microstructures,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 35, pp. 16700–16704, 2005.
Copyright © 2007 C. O'Dwyer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.