- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 842425, 6 pages
Sorption of from Aqueous Solution unto Modified Rice Husk: Isotherms Studies
1Department of Chemistry, Landmark University, P M B 1001, Kwara State, Omu-Aran 370102, Nigeria
2Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Landmark University, P M B 1001, Kwara State, Omu-Aran 370102, Nigeria
3Department of Chemical Engineering, Landmark University, P M B 1001, Kwara State, Omu-Aran 370102, Nigeria
Received 23 November 2012; Revised 3 February 2013; Accepted 12 February 2013
Academic Editor: Leonardo Palmisano
Copyright © 2013 A. O. Dada et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. S. Abdel-Halim, A. Abou-Okeil, and A. Hashem, “Adsorption of Cr(VI) oxyanions onto modified wood pulp,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 71–76, 2006.
- O. Debo, Zamfara Lead Poisoning: Any Light at the End of the Tunnel?The Nigerian Guardian News Paper, 2012.
- K. K. Singh, M. Talat, and S. H. Hasan, “Removal of lead from aqueous solutions by agricultural waste maize bran,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 16, pp. 2124–2130, 2006.
- Y. Kamimura, H. Chiba, H. Utsumi, et al., “Barrier function of microvessels and roles of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in the rat testis,” Medical Electron Microscopy, vol. 35, pp. 139–145, 2002.
- V. Gloaguen and H. J. Morvan, “Removal of heavy metal ions from aqueous solution by modified barks,” Journal of Environmental Sci Health, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 901–912, 1997.
- S. E. Bailey, T. J. Olin, and R. M. Bricka, “A review of potentially low-cost sorbents for heavy metals,” Journal of Water Research, vol. 33, pp. 2469–2479, 1999.
- N. N. Rao, A. Kumar, and S. N. Kaul, “Alkali-treated straw and insoluble straw xanthate as low cost adsorbents for heavy metal removal-preparation, characterization and application,” Journnal of Bioresource Technology, vol. 71, pp. 133–142, 2000.
- K. S. Low and C. S. Lee, “Sorption of cadmium and lead from aqueous solutions by spent grain,” Journal of Process Biochemistry, vol. 36, pp. 59–64, 2000.
- P. Kumar and S. S. Dara, “Binding heavy metal ions with polymerized onion skin,” Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 19, pp. 397–402, 1981.
- G. Sun and W. Shi, “Sun flowers stalks as adsorbents for the removal of metal ions from waste water,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1324–1328, 1998.
- G. O. Adediran, S. R. Kazeem, and F. O. Nwosu, “Chromatography of metal ions in wood cellulose impregnated with Urea and ThioUrea,” in Book of Abstracts, 22nd Annual Conference of Chemical Society of Nigeria, p. 42, 1999.
- F. A. Adekola, N. G. Nwaogu, and N. Abdus-Salam, “Removal of cadmium from aqueous solution using manganese hexacyanoferrates (II)/(III),” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 221–228, 2007.
- F. A. Adekola and H. I. Adekoge, “Adsorption of Blue Dye on activated carbon from rice husk, coconut shell and coconut coirpith,” Ife Journal of Science, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 151–157, 2005.
- T. Genctan and A. Balkan, “Problems and production of rice in Turkey. The first national symposium of rice,” Tekirdag, vol. 24-25, pp. 8–21, 2009.
- J. Chumee J, “Characterization of platinum-iron catalysts supported on MCM-41 synthesized with rice husk silica and their performance for phenol hydroxylation,” Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, vol. 9, p. 15, 2008.
- S. Chiarakorn, T. Areerob, and N. Grisdanurak, “Influence of functional silanes on hydrophobicity of MCM-41 synthesized from rice husk,” Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, vol. 8, no. 1-2, pp. 110–115, 2007.
- A. Ola, E. Ahmed, E. Amany, and K. Azza, “Use of rice husk for adsorption of direct dyes from aqueous solution: a case study of Direct F. Scarlet,” Egyptian Journal of Aquatic Research, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1110–0354, 2005.
- R. O. Milind, D. Julie, and J. Snehal, Comparative adsorption studies on activated rice husk and rice husk ash by using methylene blue as dye, International Congress on Environmental Research at Bits Pilani GOA, 2009.
- C. Ken-Sen, T. Jhy-Ching, and L. Chieh-Tsung, “The adsorption of Congo red and Vacuum pump oil by rice hull ash,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 78, pp. 217–291, 2001.
- G. W. Saer, “Determination of Specific surface area of sodium hydroxide,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 1981–1983, 1956.
- R. A. Shawabkeh and M. F. Tutunji, “Experimental studies and modeling of the basic dye sorption by diamaceous clay,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 24, pp. 111–114, 2003.
- S. Yadav, D. K. Tyagi, and O. P. Yadav, “Equilibrium and kinetics studies on adsorption of aniline blue from aqueous solution onto rice Husk carbon,” International Journal of Chemistry Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 59–64, 2011.
- R. A. Shawabkeh, “Synthesis and characterization of activated carbo-aluminosilicate material from oil shale,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 75, no. 1-2, pp. 107–114, 2004.
- I. Langmuir, “The adsorption of gases on plane surfaces of glass, mica and platinum,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 40, pp. 1362–1403, 1918.
- S. Toshiguki and K. Yukata, “Pyrolysis of plant, animal and human wastes: physical and chemical characterization of the pyrolytic product,” Journal Bioresource Technology, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 241–247, 2003.
- M. Vanderborght and E. Van Grieken, “Enrichment of trace metals in water by adsorption on activated carbon,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 311–316, 1997.
- J. C. Igwe and A. A. Abia, “A bioseparation process for removing heavy metals from waste water using biosorbents,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 1167–1179, 2006.
- T. H. Vermeulan, K. R. Hall, L. C. Eggleton, and A. Acrivos, “Fundam,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 5, pp. 212–223, 1966.
- T. N. Webber and R. K. Chakravarti, “Pore and solid diffusion models for fixed bed adsorbers,” American Institute of Chemical Engineers, vol. 20, pp. 228–238, 1974.
- N. D. Hutson and R. T. Yang, “Theoretical basis for the Dubinin-Radushkevitch (D-R) adsorption isotherm equation,” Adsorption, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 189–195, 1997.
- E. Voudrias, F. Fytianos, and E. Bozani, “Sorption description isotherms of dyes from aqueous solutions and waste waters with different sorbent materials,” Global NEST, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 75–83, 2002.
- S. Mohan and J. Karthikeyan, “Removal of lignin and tannin color from aqueous solution by adsorption on to activated carbon solution by adsorption on to activated charcoal,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 97, pp. 183–187, 1997.
- G. de la Rosa, H. E. Reynel-Avila, A. Bonilla-Petriciolet, I. Cano-Rodríguez, C. Velasco-Santos, and A. L. Martínez-Hernández, “Recycling poultry feathers for Pb removal from wastewater: kinetic and equilibrium studies,” in Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 30, pp. 1–8, 2008.
- S. Goldberg, “Equations and models describing adsorption processes in soils,” in Chemical Processes in Soils, SSSA Book Series no. 8, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 2005.
- M. Temkin and J. A. V. Pyzhev, “Kinetics of Ammonia synthesis on promoted Iron catalysts,” Acta Physico-Chimica, vol. 12, pp. 217–222, 1940.
- N. Sumar, Z. Uzma, A. Arifa, and I. Asma, “Adsorption studies of Chromium(VI) on RHA,” Journal of Chemical Society, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 1–9, 2009.
- G. O. Adediran, J. F. Adediji, M. A. Adebayo, and A. O. Dada, “Removal of Pb2+ and Cr6+ ions from aqueous solution by earthworm cast soil,” International Journal of Physical Sciences, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 691–697, 2009.