- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 710487, 12 pages
Controlled Release Kinetics in Hydroxy Double Salts: Effect of Host Anion Structure
1Department of Chemistry, Marquette University, P.O. Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881, USA
2Applied Chemistry Department, National University of Science and Technology, P.O. Box AC 939, Ascot, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Received 10 September 2013; Revised 15 December 2013; Accepted 19 December 2013; Published 15 January 2014
Academic Editor: Jan Skov Pedersen
Copyright © 2014 Stephen Majoni and Jeanne M. Hossenlopp. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Yamanaka, T. Sako, and M. Hattori, “Anion exchange in basic copper acetate,” Chemistry Letters, pp. 1869–1872, 1989.
- E. Kandare and J. M. Hossenlopp, “Hydroxy double salt anion exchange kinetics: effects of precursor structure and anion sizet,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 17, pp. 8469–8475, 2005.
- P. K. Dutta and M. Puri, “Anion exchange in lithium aluminate hydroxides,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 376–381, 1989.
- B. M. Choudary, V. S. Jaya, B. R. Reddy, M. L. Kantam, M. M. Rao, and S. S. Madhavendra, “Synthesis, characterization, ion exchange, and catalytic properties of nanobinary and ternary metal oxy/hydroxides,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2740–2743, 2005.
- A. M. Fogg, J. S. Dunn, S.-G. Shyu, D. R. Cary, and D. O'Hare, “Selective ion-exchange intercalation of isomeric dicarboxylate anions into the layered double hydroxide [LiAl2(OH)6]Cl·H2O,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 351–355, 1998.
- T. Ikeda, H. Amoh, and T. Yasunaga, “Stereoselective exchange kinetics of L- and D-histidines for Cl- in the interlayer of a hydrotalcite-like compound by the chemical relaxation method,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 106, no. 20, pp. 5772–5775, 1984.
- M. Meyn, K. Beneke, and G. Lagaly, “Anion-exchange reactions of hydroxy double salts,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1209–1215, 1993.
- V. Ambrogi, G. Fardella, G. Grandolini, L. Perioli, and M. C. Tiralti, “Intercalation compounds of hydrotalcite-like anionic clays with anti-inflammatory agents, II: uptake of diclofenac for a controlled release formulation,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 3, no. 3, p. E26, 2002.
- M. Z. Bin Hussein, Z. Zainal, A. H. Yahaya, and D. W. V. Foo, “Controlled release of a plant growth regulator, α-naphthaleneacetate from the lamella of Zn-Al-layered double hydroxide nanocomposite,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 82, no. 2-3, pp. 417–427, 2002.
- A. I. Khan, A. Ragavan, B. Fong et al., “Recent developments in the use of layered double hydroxides as host materials for the storage and triggered release of functional anions,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 48, no. 23, pp. 10196–10205, 2009.
- M. Silion, D. Hritcu, I. M. Jaba et al., “In vitro and in vivo behavior of ketoprofen intercalated into layered double hydroxides,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 3009–3018, 2010.
- J.-H. Yang, Y.-S. Han, M. Park, T. Park, S.-J. Hwang, and J.-H. Choy, “New inorganic-based drug delivery system of indole-3-acetic acid-layered metal hydroxide nanohybrids with controlled release rate,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2679–2685, 2007.
- L. Lei, R. P. Vijayan, and D. O'Hare, “Preferential anion exchange intercalation of pyridinecarboxylate and toluate isomers in the layered double hydroxide [LiAl2(OH)6]Cl·H2O,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 3276–3280, 2001.
- B. Lotsch, F. Millange, R. I. Walton, and D. O'Hare, “Separation of nucleoside monophosphates using preferential anion exchange intercalation in layered double hydroxides,” Solid State Sciences, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 883–886, 2001.
- H. Tagaya, N. Sasaki, H. Morioka, and J. Kadokawa, “Preparation of new inorganic—organic layered compounds, hydroxy double salts, and preferential intercalation of organic carboxylic acids into them,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals Science and Technology A, vol. 341, pp. 413–418, 2000.
- P. P. Kumar, A. G. Kalinichev, and R. J. Kirkpatrick, “Hydration, swelling, interlayer structure, and hydrogen bonding in organolayered double hydroxides: insights from molecular dynamics simulation of citrate-intercalated hydrotalcite,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 3841–3844, 2006.
- S. V. Prasanna and P. V. Kamath, “Anion-exchange reactions of layered double hydroxides: interplay between coulombic and h-bonding interactions,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 48, no. 13, pp. 6315–6320, 2009.
- Z. Gu, A. C. Thomas, Z. P. Xu, J. H. Campbell, and G. Q. Lu, “In vitro sustained release of LMWH from MgAl-layered double hydroxide nanohybrids,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 3715–3722, 2008.
- J. T. Rajamathi, S. Britto, and M. Rajamathi, “Synthesis and anion exchange reactions of a layered Copper-Zinc,” Journal of Chemical Sciences, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 629–633, 2005.
- M. Frisch, G. Trucks, H. Schlegel, et al., “Gaussian 98, Revision A.11.4,” 2002.
- S. Majoni and J. M. Hossenlopp, “Anion exchange kinetics of nanodimensional layered metal hydroxides: use of isoconversional analysis,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 114, no. 49, pp. 12858–12869, 2010.
- C. Chouillet, J.-M. Krafft, C. Louis, and H. Lauron-Pernot, “Characterization of zinc hydroxynitrates by diffuse reflectance infrared spectroscopy—structural modifications during thermal treatment,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 505–511, 2004.
- W. Fujita and K. Awaga, “Magnetic properties of Cu2(OH)3(alkanecarboxylate) compounds: drastic modification with extension of the Alkyl chain,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1915–1917, 1996.
- R. Świsłocka, M. Kowczyk-Sadowy, M. Kalinowska, and W. Lewandowski, “Spectroscopic (FT-IR, FT-Raman,1H and13C NMR) and theoretical studies of p-coumaric acid and alkali metal p-coumarates,” Spectroscopy, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 35–48, 2012.
- T. Biswick, W. Jones, A. Pacuła, E. Serwicka, and J. Podobinski, “The role of anhydrous zinc nitrate in the thermal decomposition of the zinc hydroxy nitrates Zn5(OH)8(NO3)2·2H2O and ZnOHNO3·H2O,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 180, no. 4, pp. 1171–1179, 2007.
- S.-H. Park and E. L. Cheol, “Synthesis, characterization and magnetic properties of a novel disulfonate-pillared copper hydroxide Cu2(OH)3(DS4)1/2, DS4 = 1,4-butanedisulfonate,” Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1587–1592, 2006.
- P. Rabu, M. Drillon, and C. Hornick, “Structural and spectroscopic study of organic-inorganic transition metal based layered magnets,” Analusis, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 103–108, 2000.
- L. Lei, A. Khan, and D. O'Hare, “Selective anion-exchange intercalation of isomeric benzoate anions into the layered double hydroxide [LiAl2(OH)6]Cl·H2O,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 178, no. 12, pp. 3648–3654, 2005.
- W. Krause, H.-J. Bernhardt, R. S. W. Braithwaite, U. Kolitsch, and R. Pritchard, “Kapellasite, Cu3Zn(OH)6Cl2, a new mineral from Lavrion, Greece, and its crystal structure,” Mineralogical Magazine, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 329–340, 2006.
- L. C. Andrews, L. R. Bernstein, C. M. Foris et al., Powder Diffraction File, Inorganic, International Centre for Diffraction Data, Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, 2009.
- A. Ragavan, A. I. Khan, and D. O'Hare, “Isomer selective ion-exchange intercalation of nitrophenolates into the layered double hydroxide [LiAl2(OH)6]Cl·xH2O,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 602–608, 2006.
- A. Ragavan, A. Khan, and D. O'Hare, “Selective intercalation of chlorophenoxyacetates into the layered double hydroxide [LiAl2(OH)6]Cl·xH2O,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 42, pp. 4155–4159, 2006.
- S. Vyazovkin and C. A. Wight, “Model-free and model-fitting approaches to kinetic analysis of isothermal and nonisothermal data,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 340-341, pp. 53–68, 1999.
- R. E. Johnsen, F. Krumeich, and P. Norby, “Structural and microstructural changes during anion exchange of CoAl layered double hydroxides: an in situ X-ray powder diffraction study,” Journal of Applied Crystallography, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 434–447, 2010.
- G. R. Williams, T. G. Dunbar, A. J. Beer, A. M. Fogg, and D. O'Hare, “Intercalation chemistry of the novel layered double hydroxides [MAl4(OH)12](NO3)2·yH2O (M = Zn, Cu, Ni and Co). 1: new organic intercalates and reaction mechanisms,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 13, pp. 1222–1230, 2006.
- T. E. M. Ten Hulscher and G. Cornelissen, “Effect of temperature on sorption equilibrium and sorption kinetics of organic micropollutants—a review,” Chemosphere, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 609–626, 1996.
- M. Avrami, “Kinetics of phase change. I: general theory,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1103–1112, 1939.
- M. Avrami, “Kinetics of phase change. II Transformation-time relations for random distribution of nuclei,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 212–224, 1940.
- R. J. Francis, S. O'Brien, A. M. Fogg et al., “Time-resolved in-situ energy and angular dispersive X-ray diffraction studies of the formation of the microporous gallophosphate ULM-5 under hydrothermal conditions,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 1002–1015, 1999.
- Z. Miladinović, J. Zakrzewska, B. Kovačević, and G. Bačić, “Monitoring of crystallization processes during synthesis of zeolite A by in situ 27Al NMR spectroscopy,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 104, no. 2-3, pp. 384–389, 2007.
- R. Serna-Guerrero and A. Sayari, “Modeling adsorption of CO2 on amine-functionalized mesoporous silica. 2: kinetics and breakthrough curves,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 161, no. 1-2, pp. 182–190, 2010.
- J. D. Hancock and J. H. Sharp, “Method of comparing solid- state kinetic data and its application to the decomposition of kaolinite, brucite, and BaCO3,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 74–77, 1972.
- F. Auriemma, C. De Rosa, and R. Triolo, “Slow crystallization kinetics of poly(vinyl alcohol) in confined environment during cryotropic gelation of aqueous solutions,” Macromolecules, vol. 39, no. 26, pp. 9429–9434, 2006.
- R. V. Ramanujan and Y. R. Zhang, “Quantitative transmission electron microscopy analysis of the nanocrystallization kinetics of soft magnetic alloys,” Physical Review B, vol. 74, no. 22, Article ID 224408, 2006.
- A. G. Kalinichev, P. Padma Kumar, and R. James Kirkpatrick, “Molecular dynamics computer simulations of the effects of hydrogen bonding on the properties of layered double hydroxides intercalated with organic acids,” Philosophical Magazine, vol. 90, no. 17-18, pp. 2475–2488, 2010.