Research Article | Open Access
Claudia Ehlers, Katharina Veit, Gerhard Gottschalk, Ruth A. Schmitz, "Functional organization of a single nif cluster in the mesophilic archaeon Methanosarcina mazei strain Gö1", Archaea, vol. 1, Article ID 362813, 8 pages, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1155/2002/362813
Functional organization of a single nif cluster in the mesophilic archaeon Methanosarcina mazei strain Gö1
The mesophilic methanogenic archaeon Methanosarcina mazei strain Gö1 is able to utilize molecular nitrogen (N2) as its sole nitrogen source. We have identified and characterized a single nitrogen fixation (nif) gene cluster in M. mazei Gö1 with an approximate length of 9 kbp. Sequence analysis revealed seven genes with sequence similarities to nifH, nifI1, nifI2, nifD, nifK, nifE and nifN, similar to other diazotrophic methanogens and certain bacteria such as Clostridium acetobutylicum, with the two glnB-like genes (nifI1 and nifI2) located between nifH and nifD. Phylogenetic analysis of deduced amino acid sequences for the nitrogenase structural genes of M. mazei Gö1 showed that they are most closely related to Methanosarcina barkeri nif2 genes, and also closely resemble those for the corresponding nif products of the gram-positive bacterium C. acetobutylicum. Northern blot analysis and reverse transcription PCR analysis demonstrated that the M. mazei nif genes constitute an operon transcribed only under nitrogen starvation as a single 8 kb transcript. Sequence analysis revealed a palindromic sequence at the transcriptional start site in front of the M. mazei nifH gene, which may have a function in transcriptional regulation of the nif operon.
- T. Arcondeguy, R. Jack, and M. Merrick, “The PII signal transduction proteins: pivotal players in microbial nitrogen control,” Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev., vol. 65, pp. 80–105, 2001.
- S.D. Bell and S.P. Jackson, “Mechanism and regulation of transcription in archaea,” Curr. Opin. Microbiol., vol. 4, pp. 208–213, 2001.
- C.J. Bult, O. White, G.J. Olsen et al., “Complete genome sequence of the methanogenic archaeon, Methanococcus jannaschii,” Science, vol. 273, pp. 1058–1073, 1996.
- J.S. Chen, J. Toth, and M. Kasap, “Genbank submission AF266462,” 2001.
- Y.T. Chien and S.H. Zinder, “Cloning, DNA sequencing, and characterization of a nifD-homologous gene from the archaeon Methanosarcina barkeri 227 which resembles nifD1 from the eubacterium Clostridium pasteurianum,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 176, pp. 6590–6598, 1994.
- Y.T. Chien and S.H. Zinder, “Cloning, functional organization, transcript studies, and phylogenetic analysis of the complete nitrogenase structural genes (nifHDK2) and associated genes in the archaeon Methanosarcina barkeri 227,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 178, pp. 143–148, 1996.
- Y.T. Chien, J.D. Helmann, and S.H. Zinder, “Interactions between the promoter regions of nitrogenase structural genes (nifHDK2) and DNA-binding proteins from N2- and ammonium-grown cells of the archaeon Methanosarcina barkeri 227,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 180, pp. 2723–2728, 1998.
- Y.T. Chien, V. Auerbuch, A.D. Brabban, and S.H. Zinder, “Analysis of genes encoding an alternative nitrogenase in the archaeon Methanosarcina barkeri 227,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 182, pp. 3247–3253, 2000.
- R. Cohen-Kupiec, C. Blank, and J.A. Leigh, “Transcriptional regulation in Archaea: in vivo demonstration of a repressor binding site in a methanogen,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 94, pp. 1316–1320, 1997.
- D.R. Dean and M.R. Jacobson, “Biochemical genetics of nitrogenases,” in Biological Nitrogen Fixation, G. Stacey, R.H. Burris, and H.J. Evans, Eds., pp. 763–834, Chapman & Hall, New York, 1992.
- D.R. Dean, J.T. Bolin, and L. Zheng, “Nitrogenase metalloclusters: structures, organization, and synthesis,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 175, pp. 6737–6744, 1993.
- U. Deppenmeier, M. Blaut, A. Mahlmann, and G. Gottschalk, “Reduced coenzyme F420 H2-dependent heterodisulfide oxidoreductase: a proton translocating redox system in methanogenic bacteria,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 87, pp. 9449–9453, 1990.
- U. Deppenmeier, A. Johann, T. Hartsch et al., “The genome of Methanosarcina mazei: evidence for lateral gene transfer between Bacteria and Archaea,” J. Mol. Microbiol. Biotechnol., vol. 4, pp. 453–461, 2002.
- J. Devereux, P. Haeberli, and O. Smithies, “A comprehensive set of sequence analysis programs for the VAX,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 12, pp. 387–395, 1984.
- C. Ehlers, R. Grabbe, K. Veit, and R.A. Schmitz, “Characterization of GlnK1 from Methanosarcina mazei strain Gö1: complementation of an Escherichia coli glnK mutant strain by M. mazei GlnK1.,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 184, pp. 1028–1040, 2002.
- J.G. Ferry, “Enzymology of one-carbon metabolism in methanogenic pathways,” FEMS Microbiol. Rev., vol. 23, pp. 13–38, 1999.
- H.M. Fischer, “Genetic regulation of nitrogen fixation in rhizobia,” Microbiol. Rev., vol. 58, pp. 352–386, 1994.
- J.E. Galagan, C. Nusbaum, A. Roy et al., “The genome of M. acetivorans reveals extensive metabolic and physiological diversity.,” Genome Res., vol. 12, pp. 532–542, 2002.
- M.M. Georgiadis, H. Komiya, P. Chakrabarti, D. Woo, J.J. Kornuc, and D.C. Rees, “Crystallographic structure of the nitrogenase iron protein from Azotobacter vinelandii,” Science, vol. 257, pp. 1653–1659, 1992.
- R. Haselkorn and W.J. Buikema, “Methanococcus genome,” Science, vol. 274, pp. 901–902, 1996.
- W. Hausner, J. Wettach, C. Hethke, and M. Thomm, “Two transcription factors related with the eucaryal transcription factors TATA-binding protein and transcription factor IIB direct promoter recognition by an archaeal RNA polymerase,” J. Biol. Chem., vol. 271, pp. 30144–30148, 1996.
- P.S. Kessler and J.A. Leigh, “Genetics of nitrogen regulation in Methanococcus maripaludis,” Genetics, vol. 152, pp. 1343–1351, 1999.
- P.S. Kessler, J. Mclarnan, and J.A. Leigh, “Nitrogenase phylogeny and the molybdenum dependence of nitrogen fixation in Methanococcus maripaludis,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 179, pp. 541–543, 1997.
- P.S. Kessler, C. Blank, and J.A. Leigh, “The nif gene operon of the methanogenic archaeon Methanococcus maripaludis,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 180, pp. 1504–1511, 1998.
- P.S. Kessler, K. Daniel, and J.A. Leigh, “Ammonium switch-off of nitrogen fixation in the methanogenic archeaon Methanococcus maripaludis: Mechanistic features and requirement for the novel GlnB homologues, NifI1 and NifI2,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 183, pp. 882–889, 2001.
- D. Langer and W. Zillig, “Putative tfIIs gene of Sulfolobus acidocaldarius encoding an archaeal transcription elongation factor is situated directly downstream of the gene for a small subunit of DNA-dependent RNA polymerase,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 21, p. 2251, 1993.
- D. Langer, J. Hain, P. Thuriaux, and W. Zillig, “Transcription in Archaea: similarity to that in Eucarya,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 92, pp. 5768–5772, 1995.
- A.L. Lobo and S.H. Zinder, “Nitrogen fixation by methanogenic bacteria,” in Biological Nitrogen Fixation, G. Stacey, R.H. Burris, and H.J. Evans, Eds., pp. 191–211, Chapman & Hall, New York, 1992.
- T.L. Marsh, C.I. Reich, R.B. Whitelock, and G.J. Olsen, “Transcription factor IID in the Archaea: sequences in the Thermococcus celer genome would encode a product closely related to the TATA-binding protein of eukaryotes,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 91, pp. 4180–4184, 1994.
- M.J. Merrick and R.A. Edwards, “Nitrogen control in bacteria,” Microbiol. Rev., vol. 59, pp. 604–622, 1995.
- J. Nölling, G. Breton, M.V. Omelchenko et al., “Genome sequence and comparative analysis of the solvent-producing bacterium Clostridium acetobutylicum,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 183, pp. 4823–4838, 2001.
- S.A. Qureshi, B. Khoo, P. Baumann, and S.P. Jackson, “Molecular cloning of the transcription factor TFIIB homolog from Sulfolobus shibatae,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 92, pp. 6077–6081, 1995.
- D.C. Rees and J.B. Howard, “Structural bioenergetics and energy transduction mechanisms,” J. Mol. Biol., vol. 293, pp. 343–350, 1999.
- J. Sambrook, E.F. Fritsch, and T. Maniatis, “Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual,” in Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, New York., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, 2nd Edn. edition, 1989.
- L. Sibold, M. Henriquet, O. Possot, and J.P. Aubert, “Nucleotide sequence of nifH regions from Methanobacterium ivanovii and Methanosarcina barkeri 227 and characterization of glnB-like genes,” Res. Microbiol., vol. 142, pp. 5–12, 1991.
- D.R. Smith, L.A. Doucette-Stamm, C. Deloughery et al., “Complete genome sequence of Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum ΔH: functional analysis and comparative genomics,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 179, pp. 7135–7155, 1997.
- N. Souillard and L. Sibold, “Primary structure, functional organization and expression of nitrogenase structural genes of the thermophilic archaebacterium Methanococcus thermolithotrophicus,” Mol. Microbiol., vol. 3, pp. 541–551, 1989.
- R. Staden, K.F. Beal, and J.K. Bonfield, “The Staden package,” Methods Mol. Biol., vol. 132, pp. 115–130, 2000.
- R.K. Thauer, “Biochemistry of methanogenesis: a tribute to Marjory Stephenson 1998 Marjory Stephenson Prize Lecture,” Microbiology, vol. 144, pp. 2377–2406, 1998.
- M. Thomm, “Die Transkriptionsmaschinerie der Archaea,” Biospektrum, vol. 3, pp. 179–185, 2000.
- J.P.W. Young, “Phylogenetic classification of nitrogen fixing organisms,” in Biological Nitrogen Fixation, G. Stacey, R.H. Burris, and H.J. Evans, Eds., pp. 736–762, Chapman & Hall, New York, 1992.
Copyright © 2002 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.