- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 764621, 14 pages
A Review of Translational Animal Models for Knee Osteoarthritis
1School of Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA
2Missouri Orthopaedic Institute, 1100 Virginia Avenue, DC 953.00, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
3Comparative Orthopaedic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA
Received 10 August 2012; Revised 8 November 2012; Accepted 26 November 2012
Academic Editor: Paola Migliorini
Copyright © 2012 Martin H. Gregory et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [37 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Margaret J. Piel, Jeffrey S. Kroin, Andre J. van Wijnen, Ranjan Kc, and Hee-Jeong Im, “Pain assessment in animal models of osteoarthritis,” Gene, 2013.
- Maxim Moreau, Jean-Pierre Pelletier, Bertrand Lussier, Marc-André d’Anjou, Laurent Blond, Johanne-Martel Pelletier, Jérôme R. E. del Castillo, and Eric Troncy, “A Posteriori Comparison of Natural and Surgical Destabilization Models of Canine Osteoarthritis,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–12, 2013.
- Gary Entrican, Sean R. Wattegedera, and David J. Griffiths, “Exploiting ovine immunology to improve the relevance of biomedical models,” Molecular Immunology, 2014.
- Jason A. Miranda, Phil Stanley, Katrina Gore, Jamie Turner, Rebecca Dias, and Huw Rees, “A Preclinical Physiological Assay to Test Modulation of Knee Joint Pain in the Spinal Cord: Effects of Oxycodone and Naproxen,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 8, 2014.
- Antonella Peruffo, and Bruno Cozzi, “Bovine Brain: An in vitro Translational Model in Developmental Neuroscience and Neurodegenerative Research,” Frontiers in Pediatrics, vol. 2, 2014.
- Anu K. Suokas, Devi Rani Sagar, Paul I. Mapp, Victoria Chapman, and David A. Walsh, “Design, study quality and evidence of analgesic efficacy in studies of drugs in models of OA pain: a systematic review and a meta-analysis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 2014.
- James L. Cook, Aaron M. Stoker, James P. Stannard, Keiichi Kuroki, Cristi R. Cook, Ferris M. Pfeiffer, Chantelle Bozynski, and Clark T. Hung, “A Novel System Improves Preservation of Osteochondral Allografts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®, 2014.
- Xiang Hu, Qian Wang, Yang Liu, Hongguang Liu, Chunxia Qin, Kai Cheng, William Robinson, Brian D. Gray, Koon Y. Pak, Aixi Yu, and Zhen Cheng, “Optical imaging of articular cartilage degeneration using near-infrared dipicolylamine probes,” Biomaterials, 2014.
- Elsa Mével, Laurent-Emmanuel Monfoulet, Christophe Merceron, Véronique Coxam, Yohann Wittrant, Laurent Beck, and Jérôme Guicheux, “Nutraceuticals in joint health: animal models as instrumental tools,” Drug Discovery Today, 2014.
- J. L. Cook, C. T. Hung, K. Kuroki, A. M. Stoker, C. R. Cook, F. M. Pfeiffer, S. L. Sherman, and J. P. Stannard, “Animal models of cartilage repair,” Bone & Joint Research, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 89–94, 2014.
- Niels Schlichting, Tilo Dehne, Karsten Mans, Michaela Endres, Bruno Stuhlmüller, Michael Sittinger, Christian Kaps, and Jochen Ringe, “Suitability of Porcine Chondrocyte Micromass Culture To Model Osteoarthritis in Vitro,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, pp. 140327075051007, 2014.
- Leen Bussche, and Gerlinde R. Van de Walle, “Peripheral Blood-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Promote Angiogenesis via Paracrine Stimulation of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Secretion in t,” Stem Cells Translational Medicine, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 1514–1525, 2014.
- Derrick M. Knapik, Ryan K. Harrison, Robert A. Siston, Sudha Agarwal, and David C. Flanigan, “Impact of lesion location on the progression of osteoarthritis in a rat knee model,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2014.
- Adam B. Nover, Robert M. Stefani, Stephanie L. Lee, Gerard A. Ateshian, Aaron M. Stoker, James L. Cook, and Clark T. Hung, “Long-term storage and preservation of tissue engineered articular cartilage,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2015.
- A. M. McCoy, “Animal Models of Osteoarthritis: Comparisons and Key Considerations,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 803–818, 2015.
- Cedo M. Bagi, David E. Zakur, Edwin Berryman, Catharine J. Andresen, and Dean Wilkie, “Correlation between μCT imaging, histology and functional capacity of the osteoarthritic knee in the rat model of osteoarthritis,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, 2015.
- Christopher R. Byron, “Specialty Grand Challenge in Veterinary Surgery and Anesthesiology,” Frontiers in Veterinary Science, vol. 2, 2015.
- Raymundo Cruz, Carmen Ramírez, Oscar I. Rojas, Oscar Casas-Mejía, Juan B. Kouri, and Marco A. Vega-López, “Menisectomized miniature Vietnamese pigs develop articular cartilage pathology resembling osteoarthritis,” Pathology - Research and Practice, 2015.
- Audrey Petit, Everaldo M. Redout, Chris H. van de Lest, Janny C. de Grauw, Benno Müller, Ronald Meyboom, Paul van Midwoud, Tina Vermonden, Wim E. Hennink, and P. René van Weeren, “Sustained intra-articular release of celecoxib from in situ forming gels made of acetyl-capped PCLA-PEG-PCLA triblock copolymers in horses,” Biomaterials, vol. 53, pp. 426–436, 2015.
- Ambika G. Bajpayee, Maximiliano Scheu, Alan J. Grodzinsky, and Ryan M. Porter, “A rabbit model demonstrates the influence of cartilage thickness on intra-articular drug delivery and retention within cartilage,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2015.
- J. Lieberthal, N. Sambamurthy, and C.R. Scanzello, “Inflammation in joint injury and post-traumatic osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1825–1834, 2015.
- Cedo M. Bagi, Edwin Berryman, David E. Zakur, Dean Wilkie, and Catharine J. Andresen, “Effect of antiresorptive and anabolic bone therapy on development of osteoarthritis in a posttraumatic rat model of OA,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 17, no. 1, 2015.
- Seth L. Sherman, Ravand S. Khazai, Christopher H. James, Aaron M. Stoker, David L. Flood, and James L. Cook, “In Vitro Toxicity of Local Anesthetics and Corticosteroids on Chondrocyte and Synoviocyte Viability and Metabolism,” Cartilage, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 233–240, 2015.
- Elsa Mével, Christophe Merceron, Claire Vinatier, Stéphanie Krisa, Tristan Richard, Martial Masson, Julie Lesoeur, Vincent Hivernaud, Olivier Gauthier, Jérôme Abadie, Geoffroy Nourissat, Xavier Houard, Yohann Wittrant, Nelly Urban, Laurent Beck, and Jérôme Guicheux, “Olive and grape seed extract prevents post-traumatic osteoarthritis damages and exhibits in vitro anti IL-1β activities before and after oral consumption,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 33527, 2016.
- Magali Cucchiarini, Laura de Girolamo, Giuseppe Filardo, J. Miguel Oliveira, Patrick Orth, Dietrich Pape, and Pascal Reboul, “Basic science of osteoarthritis,” Journal of Experimental Orthopaedics, vol. 3, no. 1, 2016.
- Michele Hummel, and Garth T. Whiteside, “Measuring and realizing the translational significance of preclinical in vivo studies of painful osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 2016.
- Shinya Ogawa, Yuji Awaga, Miyuki Takashima, Aldric Hama, Akihisa Matsuda, and Hiroyuki Takamatsu, “Antinociceptive effect of clinical analgesics in a nonhuman primate model of knee osteoarthritis,” European Journal of Pharmacology, 2016.
- Colombe Otis, Julie Gervais, Martin Guillot, Julie-Anne Gervais, Dominique Gauvin, Catherine Péthel, Simon Authier, Marc-André Dansereau, Philippe Sarret, Johanne Martel-Pelletier, Jean-Pierre Pelletier, Francis Beaudry, and Eric Troncy, “Concurrent validity of different functional and neuroproteomic pain assessment methods in the rat osteoarthritis monosodium iodoacetate (MIA) model,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 18, no. 1, 2016.
- James L. Cook, James P. Stannard, Aaron M. Stoker, Chantelle C. Bozynski, Keiichi Kuroki, Cristi R. Cook, and Ferris M. Pfeiffer, “Importance of Donor Chondrocyte Viability for Osteochondral Allografts,” American Journal Of Sports Medicine, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1260–1268, 2016.
- Grazyna Sobal, Kavitha Velusamy, Siegfried Kosik, Johannes Menzel, Marcus Hacker, and Maximilian Pagitz, “Preclinical evaluation of 99mTc labeled chondroitin sulfate for monitoring of cartilage degeneration in osteoarthritis,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, 2016.
- Dong Suk Yoon, Kyoung-Mi Lee, Sung-Hwan Kim, Su Hee Kim, Youngmee Jung, Soo Hyun Kim, Kwang Hwan Park, Yoorim Choi, Hyun Aae Ryu, Woo Jin Choi, and Jin Woo Lee, “Synergistic Action of IL-8 and Bone Marrow Concentrate on Cartilage Regeneration Through Upregulation of Chondrogenic Transcription Factors,” Tissue Engineering Part A, vol. 22, no. 3-4, pp. 363–374, 2016.
- Ganesh Narayanan, Lakshmi S. Nair, Cato T. Laurencin, and Emmanuel L. Kuyinu, “Animal models of osteoarthritis: classification, update, and measurement of outcomes,” Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, vol. 11, no. 1, 2016.
- Michelle L. Delco, John G. Kennedy, Lawrence J. Bonassar, and Lisa A. Fortier, “Post-traumatic osteoarthritis of the ankle: A distinct clinical entity requiring new research approaches,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2016.
- Maria J. Sandker, Luisa F. Duque, Everaldo M. Redout, Alan Chan, Ivo Que, Clemens W.G.M. Löwik, Evelien C. Klijnstra, Nicole Kops, Rob Steendam, Rene van Weeren, Wim E. Hennink, and Harrie Weinans, “Degradation, intra-articular retention and biocompatibility of monospheres composed of [PDLLA-PEG-PDLLA]-b-PLLA multi-block copolymers,” Acta Biomaterialia, 2016.
- Joaquin Moya-Angeler, Jimena Gonzalez-Nieto, Joaquin Sanchez Monforte, Jose R. Altonaga, Javier Vaquero, and Francisco Forriol, “Surgical induced models of joint degeneration in the ovine stifle: Magnetic resonance imaging and histological assessment,” The Knee, 2016.
- Min Zong, Chao Yan, Lin Lu, Hai-bin Shi, and Rong-bin Yu, “Feasibility of Dual Flip Angle-Based Fast 3-Dimensional T1 Mapping for Delayed Gadolinium-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cartilage of the Knee,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 442–446, 2016.
- Ambika G. Bajpayee, and Alan J. Grodzinsky, “Cartilage-targeting drug delivery: can electrostatic interactions help?,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, 2017.