- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 689236, 9 pages
Long-Term Effects of AposTherapy in Patients with Osteoarthritis of the Knee: A Two-Year Followup
1Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
2Biorobotics and Biomechanics Lab, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Received 15 November 2012; Revised 28 January 2013; Accepted 28 January 2013
Academic Editor: Bruce M. Rothschild
Copyright © 2013 Yaron Bar-Ziv et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Lawrence, C. G. Helmick, F. C. Arnett, et al., “Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and selected musculoskeletal disorders in the United States,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 778–799, 1998.
- C. F. Dillon, E. K. Rasch, Q. Gu, and R. Hirsch, “Prevalence of knee osteoarthritis in the United States: Arthritis data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1991–94,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 2271–2279, 2006.
- R. W. Brouwer, T. S. Jakma, A. P. Verhagen, J. A. Verhaar, and S. M. Bierma-Zeinstra, “Braces and orthoses for treating osteoarthritis of the knee,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD004020, 2005.
- M. R. Maly, E. G. Culham, and P. A. Costigan, “Static and dynamic biomechanics of foot orthoses in people with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 603–610, 2002.
- F. E. Pollo, “Bracing and heel wedging for unicompartmental osteoarthritis of the knee,” The American Journal of Knee Surgery, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 1998.
- T. P. Andriacchi, A. Mündermann, R. L. Smith, E. J. Alexander, C. O. Dyrby, and S. Koo, “A framework for the in vivo pathomechanics of osteoarthritis at the knee,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 447–457, 2004.
- T. P. Andriacchi, “Dynamics of knee malalignment,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 395–403, 1994.
- T. P. Andriacchi, T. S. Stanwyck, and J. O. Galante, “Knee biomechanics and total knee replacement,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 211–219, 1986.
- A. J. Baliunas, D. E. Hurwitz, A. B. Ryals et al., “Increased knee joint loads during walking are present in subjects with knee osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 573–579, 2002.
- T. Miyazaki, M. Wada, H. Kawahara, M. Sato, H. Baba, and S. Shimada, “Dynamic load at baseline can predict radiographic disease progression in medial compartment knee osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 617–622, 2002.
- G. K. Fitzgerald, J. D. Childs, T. M. Ridge, and J. J. Irrgang, “Agility and perturbation training for a physically active individual with knee osteoarthritis,” Physical Therapy, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 372–382, 2002.
- A. Shumway-Cook, Motor Control: Translating Research into Clinical Practice, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 2007, Edited by A. Shumway-Cook and M. H. Woollacott.
- J. A. Barrios, K. M. Crossley, and I. S. Davis, “Gait retraining to reduce the knee adduction moment through real-time visual feedback of dynamic knee alignment,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 2208–2213, 2010.
- A. Haim, N. Rozen, S. Dekel, N. Halperin, and A. Wolf, “Control of knee coronal plane moment via modulation of center of pressure: a prospective gait analysis study,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 3010–3016, 2008.
- A. Haim, N. Rozen, and A. Wolf, “The influence of sagittal center of pressure offset on gait kinematics and kinetics,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 969–977, 2010.
- E. M. Debbi, A. Wolf, and A. Haim, “Detecting and quantifying global instability during a dynamic task using kinetic and kinematic gait parameters,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 1366–1371, 2012.
- A. Elbaz, A. Mor, G. Segal et al., “APOS therapy improves clinical measurements and gait in patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 920–925, 2010.
- A. Haim, G. Rubin, N. Rozen, Y. Goryachev, and A. Wolf, “Reduction in knee adduction moment via non-invasive biomechanical training: a longitudinal gait analysis study,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 41–45, 2012.
- Y. Goryachev, E. M. Debbi, A. Haim, N. Rozen, and A. Wolf, “Foot center of pressure manipulation and gait therapy influence lower limb muscle activation in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee,” Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 704–711, 2011.
- Y. Goryachev, E. M. Debbi, A. Haim, and A. Wolf, “The effect of manipulation of the center of pressure of the foot during gait on the activation patterns of the lower limb musculature,” Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 333–339, 2011.
- Y. Bar-Ziv, Y. Beer, Y. Ran, S. Benedict, and N. Halperin, “A treatment applying a biomechanical device to the feet of patients with knee osteoarthritis results in reduced pain and improved function: a prospective controlled study,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 11, article 179, 2010.
- R. Altman, G. Alarcon, D. Appelrouth et al., “The American College of Rheumatology criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis of the hip,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 505–514, 1991.
- J. H. Kellgren and J. S. Lawrence, “Radiological assessment of osteo-arthrosis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 494–502, 1957.
- A. Haim, A. Wolf, G. Rubin, Y. Genis, M. Khoury, and N. Rozen, “Effect of center of pressure modulation on knee adduction moment in medial compartment knee osteoarthritis,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1668–1674, 2011.
- E. M. Roos, M. Klassbo, and L. S. Lohmander, “WOMAC osteoarthritis index. Reliability, validity, and responsiveness in patients with arthroscopically assessed osteoarthritis. Western Ontario and MacMaster Universities,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 210–215, 1999.
- C. J. McCarthy and J. A. Oldham, “The reliability, validity and responsiveness of an aggregated locomotor function (ALF) score in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee,” Rheumatology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 514–517, 2004.
- M. Kosinski, S. D. Keller, J. E. Ware Jr., H. T. Hatoum, and S. X. Kong, “The SF-36 health survey as a generic outcome measure in clinical trials of patients with psteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Relative validity of scales in relation to clinical measures of arthritis severity,” Medical Care, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. MS23–MS39, 1999.
- R. Y. L. Liow, K. Walker, M. A. Wajid, G. Bedi, and C. M. E. Lennox, “The reliability of the American Knee Society Score,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 603–608, 2000.
- T. Pham, D. van der Heijde, R. D. Altman et al., “OMERACT-OARSI initiative: osteoarthritis research society international set of responder criteria for osteoarthritis clinical trials revisited,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 389–399, 2004.