- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 142135, 10 pages
Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer: From Diagnosis to Survivorship
1Department of Urology and Oncological Science, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029-6574, USA
2Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, University of Houston-Downtown and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030-4298, USA
3Department of Urology, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0944, USA
4Department of Urology, Tawam Hospital, 15258 Al Ain, UAE
Received 5 April 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Trinity J. Bivalacqua
Copyright © 2012 N. E. Mohamed et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Diefenbach, N. E. Mohamed, E. Horwitz, and A. Pollack, “Longitudinal associations among quality of life and its predictors in patients treated for prostate cancer: the moderating role of age,” Psychology, Health and Medicine, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 146–161, 2008.
- R. Janoff-Bulman, “Assumptive worlds and the stress of traumatic events: applications of the schema construct,” Social Cognition, vol. 7, pp. 113–136, 1989.
- H. Kulaksizoglu, G. Toktas, I. B. Kulaksizoglu, E. Aglamis, and E. Unluer, “When should quality of life be measured after radical cystectomy?” European Urology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 350–355, 2002.
- J. L. Wright and M. P. Porter, “Quality-of-life assessment in patients with bladder cancer,” Nature Clinical Practice Urology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 147–154, 2007.
- D. Pectasides, M. Pectasides, and M. Nikolaou, “Adjuvant and neoadjuvant chemotherapy in muscle invasive bladder cancer: literature review,” European Urology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 2005.
- Y. Okada, K. Oishi, Y. Shichiri et al., “Quality of life survey of urinary diversion patients: comparison of continent urinary diversion versus ileal conduit,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 1997.
- W. H. Turner and U. E. Studer, “Cystectomy and urinary diversion,” Seminars in Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 350–358, 1997.
- J. Hardt, D. Filipas, R. Hohenfellner, and U. T. Egle, “Quality of life in patients with bladder carcinoma after cystectomy: first results of a prospective study,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2000.
- J. P. Stein, G. Lieskovsky, R. Cote et al., “Radical cystectomy in the treatment of invasive bladder cancer: long-term results in 1,054 patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 666–675, 2001.
- P. E. Clark, “Urinary diversion after radical cystectomy,” Current Treatment Options in Oncology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 389–402, 2002.
- T. Krupski and D. Theodorescu, “Orthotopic neobladder following cystectomy: indications, management, and outcomes,” Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 2001.
- P. C. Walsh, A. J. Wein, E. D. Vaughan, A. B. Retik, and C. A. Peters, Cambell Urology, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2002, (Chapter 107: Cutaneous Continent Urinary Diversion).
- M. F. Botteman, C. L. Pashos, R. S. Hauser, B. L. Laskin, and A. Redaelli, “Quality of life aspects of bladder cancer: a review of the literature,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 675–688, 2003.
- M. C. Benson and C. A. Olsson, “Continent urinary diversion,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 125–147, 1999.
- D. Filipas, U. T. Egle, C. Budenbender et al., “Quality of life and health in patients with urinary diversion: a comparison of incontinent versus continent urinary diversion,” European Urology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 1997.
- U. E. Studer, H. Danuser, W. Hochreiter, J. P. Springer, W. H. Turner, and E. J. Zingg, “Summary of 10 years' experience with an ileal low-pressure bladder substitute combined with an afferent tubular isoperistaltic segment,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 29–39, 1996.
- J. P. Stein, D. F. Penson, C. Lee, J. Cai, G. Miranda, and D. G. Skinner, “Long-term oncological outcomes in women undergoing radical cystectomy and orthotopic diversion for bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 181, no. 5, pp. 2052–2059, 2009.
- A. G. Lantz, M. E. Saltel, and I. Cagiannos, “Renal and functional outcomes following cystectomy and neobladder reconstruction,” Journal of the Canadian Urological Association, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 328–331, 2010.
- R. C. Hedgepeth, S. M. Gilbert, C. He, C. T. Lee, and D. P. Wood, “Body image and bladder cancer specific quality of life in patients with ileal conduit and neobladder urinary diversions,” Urology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 671–675, 2010.
- H. Brown and J. Randle, “Living with a stoma: a review of the literature,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 74–81, 2005.
- C. Hurny and J. Holland, “Psychosocial sequelae of ostomies in cancer patients,” Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 170–183, 1985.
- R. Colombo and R. Naspro, “Ileal conduit as the standard for urinary diversion after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer,” European Urology, Supplements, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 736–744, 2010.
- K. S. Coyne, C. C. Sexton, D. E. Irwin, Z. S. Kopp, C. J. Kelleher, and I. Milsom, “The impact of overactive bladder, incontinence and other lower urinary tract symptoms on quality of life, work productivity, sexuality and emotional well-being in men and women: results from the EPIC study,” BJU International, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 1388–1395, 2008.
- O. Lalos, A. L. Berglund, and A. Lalos, “Impact of urinary and climacteric symptoms on social and sexual life after surgical treatment of stress urinary incontinence in women: a long-term outcome,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 316–327, 2001.
- L. V. Swithinbank and P. Abrams, “The impact of urinary incontinence on the quality of life of women,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 225–229, 1999.
- W. F. Whitmore Jr. and V. F. Marshall, “Radical surgery for carcinoma of the urinary bladder; one hundred,” Cancer, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 596–608, 1956.
- B. H. Bochner, J. E. Montie, and C. T. Lee, “Follow-up strategies and management of recurrence in urologic oncology bladder cancer: invasive bladder cancer,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 777–789, 2003.
- N. E. Mohamed and M. A. Diefenbach, “Bladder cancer treatment decision making: results of patients' interviews,” Annals of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 39, no. 1, p. 57, 2010.
- C. T. Lee and D. M. Latini, “Urinary diversion: evidence-based outcomes assessment and integration into patient decision-making,” BJU International, vol. 102, no. 9B, pp. 1326–1333, 2008.
- D. F. Cella and E. A. Cherin, “Quality of life during and after cancer treatment,” Comprehensive Therapy, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 69–75, 1988.
- J. P. Parkinson and B. R. Konety, “Health related quality of life assessments for patients with bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 172, no. 6 I, pp. 2130–2136, 2004.
- J. M. Pyne, W. J. Sieber, K. David, R. M. Kaplan, M. H. Rapaport, and D. K. Williams, “Use of the quality of well-being self-administered version (QWB-SA) in assessing health-related quality of life in depressed patients,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 76, no. 1–3, pp. 237–247, 2003.
- S. M. Gilbert, D. P. Wood, R. L. Dunn et al., “Measuring health-related quality of life outcomes in bladder cancer patients using the Bladder Cancer Index (BCI),” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 1756–1762, 2007.
- J. E. Ware Jr. and C. D. Sherbourne, “The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection,” Medical Care, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 473–483, 1992.
- S. D. Boyd, S. M. Feinberg, D. G. Skinner, G. Lieskovsky, D. Baron, and J. Richardson, “Quality of life survey of urinary diversion patients: comparison of ileal conduits versus continent Kock ileal reservoirs,” Journal of Urology, vol. 138, no. 6, pp. 1386–1389, 1987.
- E. W. Gerharz, K. Weingärtner, T. Dopatka, U. N. Köhl, H. D. Basler, and H. N. Riedmiller, “Quality of life after cystectomy and urinary diversion: results of a retrospective interdisciplinary study,” Journal of Urology, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 778–785, 1997.
- S. Hart, E. C. Skinner, B. E. Meyerowitz, S. Boyd, G. Lieskovsky, and D. G. Skinner, “Quality of life after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer in patients with an ileal conduit, or cutaneous or urethral Kock pouch,” Journal of Urology, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 77–81, 1999.
- H. Leventhal, M. Diefenbach, and E. A. Leventhal, “Illness cognition: using common sense to understand treatment adherence and affect cognition interactions,” Cognitive Therapy and Research, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 143–163, 1992.
- M. Fujisawa, S. Isotani, A. Gotoh, H. Okada, S. Arakawa, and S. Kamidono, “Health-related quality of life with orthotopic neobladder versus ileal conduit according to the SF-36 survey,” Urology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 862–865, 2000.
- E. Kikuchi, Y. Horiguchi, J. Nakashima et al., “Assessment of long-term quality of life using the FACT-BL questionnaire in patients with an ileal conduit, continent reservoir, or orthotopic neobladder,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 712–716, 2006.
- S. F. Shariat, M. Milowsky, and M. J. Droller, “Bladder cancer in the elderly,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 653–667, 2009.
- G. R. Prout Jr., M. N. Wesley, R. Yancik, L. A. G. Ries, R. J. Havlik, and B. K. Edwards, “Age and comorbidity impact surgical therapy in older bladder carcinoma patients: as population-based study,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 8, pp. 1638–1647, 2005.
- J. E. Montie, “Follow-up after cystectomy for carcinoma of the bladder,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 639–643, 1994.
- C. T. Lee, K. S. Hafez, J. H. Sheffield, D. P. Joshi, and J. E. Montie, “Orthotopic bladder substitution in women: nontraditional applications,” Journal of Urology, vol. 171, no. 4, pp. 1585–1588, 2004.
- S. M. Gilbert, R. L. Dunn, B. K. Hollenbeck et al., “Development and validation of the Bladder Cancer Index: a comprehensive, disease specific measure of health related quality of life in patients with localized bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 5, pp. 1764–1770, 2010.
- M. S. Cookson, S. C. Dutta, S. S. Chang, T. Clark, J. A. Smith Jr., and N. Wells, “Health related quality of life in patients treated with radical cystectomy and urinary diversion for urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: development and validation of a new disease specific questionnaire,” Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 1926–1930, 2003.
- N. K. Aaronson, S. Ahmedzai, B. Bergman et al., “The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 365–376, 1993.
- D. F. Cella, FACIT Manual: Manual of the Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy (FACIT) Scales, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare and Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill, USA, 1997.
- D. F. Cella, D. S. Tulsky, G. Gray et al., “The functional assessment of cancer therapy scale: development and validation of the general measure,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 570–579, 1993.
- B. K. Somani, D. Gimlin, P. Fayers, and J. N'Dow, “Quality of life and body image for bladder cancer patients undergoing radical cystectomy and urinary diversion–a prospective cohort study with a systematic review of literature,” Urology, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 1138–1143, 2009.
- A. Mansson, G. Johnson, and W. Mansson, “Quality of life after cystectomy: comparison between patients with conduit and those with continent caecal reservoir urinary diversion,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 240–245, 1988.
- B. D. Bjerre, C. Johansen, and K. Steven, “Health-related quality of life after cystectomy: bladder substitution compared with ileal conduit diversion. A questionnaire survey,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 200–205, 1995.
- H. Kitamura, N. Miyao, M. Yanase et al., “Quality of life in patients having an ileal conduit, continent reservoir or orthotopic neobladder after cystectomy for bladder carcinoma,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 393–399, 1999.
- M. S. McGuire, G. Grimaldi, J. Grotas, and P. Russo, “The type of urinary diversion after radical cystectomy significantly impacts on the patient's quality of life,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 4–8, 2000.
- C. Conde Redondo, J. Estébanez Zarranz, A. Rodríguez Tovez, J. Amón Sesmero, D. Alonso Fernández, and J. M. Martínez Sagarra, “Quality of life in patients treated with orthotopic bladder substitution versus cutaneous ileostomy,” Actas Urologicas Espanolas, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 435–444, 2001.
- A. Hobisch, K. Tosun, J. Kinzl et al., “Life after cystectomy and orthotopic neobladder, versus, ileal conduit urinary diversion,” Seminars in Urologic Oncology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 18–23, 2001.
- S. C. Dutta, S. S. Chang, C. S. Coffey, J. A. Smith Jr., G. Jack, and M. S. Cookson, “Health related quality of life assessment after radical cystectomy: comparison of ileal conduit with continent orthotopic neobladder,” Journal of Urology, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 164–167, 2002.
- I. Hara, H. Miyake, S. Hara et al., “Health-related quality of life after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: a comparison of ileal conduit and orthotopic bladder replacement,” BJU International, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 10–13, 2002.
- A. Mansson, T. Davidsson, S. Hunt, and W. Mansson, “The quality of life in men after radical cystectomy with a continent cutaneous diversion or orthotopic bladder substitution: is there a difference?” BJU International, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 386–390, 2002.
- V. Protogerou, M. Moschou, N. Antoniou, J. Varkarakis, A. Bamias, and C. Deliveliotis, “Modified S-pouch neobladder vs ileal conduit and a matched control population: a quality-of-life survey,” BJU International, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 350–354, 2004.
- V. Allareddy, J. Kennedy, M. M. West, and B. R. Konety, “Quality of life in long-term survivors of bladder cancer,” Cancer, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 2355–2362, 2006.
- T. Saika, R. Arata, T. Tsushima et al., “Health-related quality of life after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer in elderly patients with an ileal conduit, ureterocutaneostomy, or orthotopic urinary reservoir: a comparative questionnaire survey,” Acta Medica Okayama, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 199–203, 2007.
- M. Harano, M. Eto, M. Nakamura et al., “A pilot study of the assessment of the quality of life, functional results, and complications in patients with an ileal neobladder for invasive bladder cancer,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 112–117, 2007.
- J. Philip, R. Manikandan, S. Venugopal, J. Desouza, and P. M. Javlé, “Orthotopic neobladder versus ileal conduit urinary diversion after cystectomy—a quality-of-life based comparison,” Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 565–569, 2009.
- F. Sogni, M. Brausi, B. Frea et al., “Morbidity and quality of life in elderly patients receiving ileal conduit or orthotopic neobladder after radical cystectomy for invasive bladder cancer,” Urology, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 919–923, 2008.
- M. Diefenbach, N. E. Mohamed, G. Turner, and K. Diefenbach, “Psychcosocial intervention: an overview,” in Handbook of Health Psychology, J. M. Suls, K. W. Davidson, and R. M. Kaplan, Eds., Guilford, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- P. McElduff, A. Boyes, A. Zucca, and A. Girgis, The Supportive Care Needs Survey: A Guide to Administration, Scoring and Analysis, Centre for Health Research & Psycho-Oncology, Newcastle, Australia, 2004.
- A. Girgis, S. Lambert, and C. Lecathelinais, “The supportive care needs survey for partners and caregivers of cancer survivors: development and psychometric evaluation,” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 387–393, 2011.
- M. Scherbring, “Effect of caregiver perception of preparedness on burden in an oncology population,” Oncology Nursing Forum, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. E70–E76, 2002.
- The National Cancer Institute (NCI), Family Family caregivers in Cancer: Roles and Challenges (PDQ) Health Professional Version, http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/caregivers/healthprofessional/page1.