- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 181987, 13 pages
Bladder Cancer Immunotherapy: BCG and Beyond
Department of Urology, University of Iowa, 375 Newton Road, 3204 MERF, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 16 March 2012; Accepted 11 May 2012
Academic Editor: Trinity J. Bivalacqua
Copyright © 2012 Eric J. Askeland et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [34 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Gopitkumar Shah, Guangjian Zhang, Fanghong Chen, YanLi Cao, Balaraman Kalyanaraman, and William See, “Loss of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Viability Adversely Affects the Direct Response of Urothelial Carcinoma Cells to Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Exposure,” The Journal of Urology, 2013.
- Scott Palmer, Sergei G. Sokolovski, Edik Rafailov, and Ghulam Nabi, “Technologic Developments in the Field of Photonics for the Detection of Urinary Bladder Cancer,” Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, 2013.
- Luís Lima, Daniela Oliveira, Ana Tavares, Teresina Amaro, Ricardo Cruz, Maria J. Oliveira, José A. Ferreira, and Lúcio Santos, “The predominance of M2-polarized macrophages in the stroma of low-hypoxic bladder tumors is associated with BCG immunotherapy failure,” Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations, 2013.
- Jose Alexandre Ferreira, Celso A. Reis, Mylene Carrascal, Paulo F. Seuerino, Andreia Almeida, Rui Vitorino, Paula A. Videira, Luis Lima, Sofia Pereira, Lucio Lara Santos, Mariana Silva, Elisabete Fernandes, Ceu Costa, Teresina Amaro, Maria J. Oliveira, Fabio Dall'Olio, and Francisco Amado, “Overexpression of tumour-associated carbohydrate antigen sialyl-Tn in advanced bladder tumours,” Molecular Oncology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 719–731, 2013.
- Regina Arantes-Rodrigues, Rosário Pinto-Leite, Lio Fidalgo-Gonçalves, Carlos Palmeira, Lúcio Santos, Aura Colaço, and Paula Oliveira, “Synergistic Effect between Cisplatin and Sunitinib Malate on Human Urinary Bladder-Cancer Cell Lines,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–11, 2013.
- Yonghua Wang, Meng Yang, Qinchao Yu, Lun Yu, Shixiu Shao, and Xinsheng Wang, “Recombinant bacillus Calmette-Guérin in urothelial bladder cancer immunotherapy: current strategies,” Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Jessica R. Newman, Lisa A. Clough, and Fernando Merino, “Mycobacterium bovis Osteomyelitis of the Thoracic Spine Mimicking a Metastatic Lytic Lesion in a Patient Exposed to Intravesicular Bacille Calmette-Guérin Treatment,” Urology Case Reports, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 142–144, 2014.
- Xiaoxuan Liu, Alexander C Dowell, Prashant Patel, Richard P Viney, Michael C Foster, Emilio Porfiri, Nicholas D James, and Richard T Bryan, “Cytokines as effectors and predictors of responses in the treatment of bladder cancer by bacillus Calmette–Guérin,” Future Oncology, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1443–1456, 2014.
- Evan Gomes-Giacoia, Makito Miyake, Steve Goodison, Aravindhan Sriharan, Ge Zhang, Lijing You, Jack O. Egan, Peter R. Rhode, Alexander S. Parker, Karl X. Chai, Hing C. Wong, and Charles J. Rosser, “Intravesical ALT-803 and BCG Treatment Reduces Tumor Burden in a Carcinogen Induced Bladder Cancer Rat Model; a Role for Cytokine Production and NK Cell Expansion,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 6, 2014.
- Ronald Rooke, “Can Calcium Signaling be harnessed for cancer immunotherapy?,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Cell Research, 2014.
- J.C. Santos, N. Rolim, T. Rodrigues, F. Lopes, R.L. Mota, A. Covita, M.J. Soares, P. Monteiro, A. Canhoto, R. Nogueira, and H. Monteiro, “Terapêutica intravesical com bacilo de Calmette-Guérin no tratamento do carcinoma da bexiga / o que sabemos até agora,” Acta Urológica Portuguesa, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 75–81, 2014.
- Gopitkumar Shah, Jacek Zielonka, Fanghong Chen, Guangjian Zhang, Yanli Cao, Balaraman Kalyanaraman, and William See, “H2O2 Generation by bacillus Calmette-Guerin Induces the Cellular Oxidative Stress Response Required for bacillus Calmette-Guerin Direct Effects on Urothelial Carcinoma Biology,” Journal of Urology, vol. 192, no. 4, pp. 1238–1248, 2014.
- Linda C Sandin, Thomas H Tötterman, and Sara M Mangsbo, “Local immunotherapy based on agonistic CD40 antibodies effectively inhibits experimental bladder cancer,” OncoImmunology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. e27400, 2014.
- Naim B. Farah, Rami Ghanem, and Mahmoud Amr, “Treatment efficacy and tolerability of intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) - RIVM strain: induction and maintenance protocol in high grade and recurrent low grade non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC),” Bmc Urology, vol. 14, 2014.
- Jun Hyun Kim, Su Hyun Ahn, Jeong Min Kim, and So-Yoon Lee, “Metachronous Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma in the Peripheral Lung and at Base of the Tongue,” Clinical and Experimental Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 232, 2014.
- Yuan-qiang Zheng, Youssef W. Naguib, Yixuan Dong, Yan-chun Shi, Shorgan Bou, and Zhengrong Cui, “Applications of bacillus Calmette-Guerin and recombinant bacillus Calmette-Guerin in vaccine development and tumor immunotherapy,” Expert Review Of Vaccines, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1255–1275, 2015.
- Erlin Sun, Xiaodong Fan, Lining Wang, Mingde Lei, Xiaodong Zhou, Chunyu Liu, Bingxin Lu, Xuewu Nian, Yan Sun, and Ruifa Han, “Recombinant hIFN-alpha 2b-BCG inhibits tumor growth in a mouse model of bladder cancer,” Oncology Reports, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 183–194, 2015.
- Luís Lima, Daniela Oliveira, José A. Ferreira, Ana Tavares, Ricardo Cruz, Rui Medeiros, and Lúcio Santos, “The role of functional polymorphisms in immune response genes as biomarkers of bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) immunotherapy outcome in bladder cancer: establishment of a predictive profile in a Southern Europe population,” BJU International, 2015.
- Kenan Izgi, Banu Iskender, Cagri Sakalar, Aslihan Arslanhan, Berkay Saraymen, and Halit Canatan, “Evaluation of two different adjuvants with immunogenic uroplakin 3A-derived peptide for their ability to evoke an immune response in mice,” European Cytokine Network, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 46–56, 2015.
- K. R. Begnini, J. H. Buss, T. Collares, and F. K. Seixas, “Recombinant Mycobacterium bovis BCG for immunotherapy in nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2015.
- Sean G. Smith, Bhanu prasanth Koppolu, Sruthi Ravindranathan, Samantha L. Kurtz, Lirong Yang, Matthew D. Katz, and David A. Zaharoff, “Intravesical chitosan/interleukin-12 immunotherapy induces tumor-specific systemic immunity against murine bladder cancer,” Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, 2015.
- Robert T. Jones, Kenneth M. Felsenstein, and Dan Theodorescu, “Pharmacogenomics,” Urologic Clinics of North America, 2015.
- Peng Huang, Chao Ma, Peng Xu, Kai Guo, Abai Xu, and Chunxiao Liu, “Efficacy of intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guerin therapy against tumor immune escape in an orthotopic model of bladder cancer,” Experimental And Therapeutic Medicine, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 162–166, 2015.
- Patrick Vianna Garcia, Fábio Rodrigues Ferreira Seiva, Amanda Pocol Carniato, Wilson de Mello Júnior, Nelson Duran, Alda Maria Macedo, Alexandre Gabarra de Oliveira, Rok Romih, Iseu da Silva Nunes, Odilon da Silva Nunes, and Wagner José Fávaro, “Increased toll-like receptors and p53 levels regulate apoptosis and angiogenesis in non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: mechanism of action of P-MAPA biological response modifier,” BMC Cancer, vol. 16, no. 1, 2016.
- Gopitkumar Shah, Guangjian Zhang, Fanghong Chen, Yanli Cao, Balaraman Kalyanaraman, and William A. See, “The Dose-Response Relationship of bacillus Calmette-Guerin and Urothelial Carcinoma Cell Biology,” Journal Of Urology, vol. 195, no. 6, pp. 1903–1910, 2016.
- Anna Majewska, Witold Lasek, Mariola Kuczer, and Grazyna Mlynarczyk, “Inhibitory Effect of Alloferons in Combination with Human Lymphocytes on Human Herpesvirus 1 (HHV-1) Replication In Vitro,” International Journal Of Peptide Research And Therapeutics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 255–261, 2016.
- A. Korniluk, O. Koper, H. Kemona, and V. Dymicka-Piekarska, “From inflammation to cancer,” Irish Journal of Medical Science (1971 -), 2016.
- Amanda J. Vandeveer, Jonathan K. Fallon, Robert Tighe, Helen Sabzevari, Jeffrey Schlom, and John W. Greiner, “Systemic Immunotherapy of Non-Muscle Invasive Mouse Bladder Cancer with Avelumab, an Anti-PD-L1 Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor,” Cancer Immunology Research, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 452–462, 2016.
- Federico Garrido, Natalia Aptsiauri, Elien M Doorduijn, Angel M Garcia Lora, and Thorbald van Hall, “The urgent need to recover MHC class I in cancers for effective immunotherapy,” Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 39, pp. 44–51, 2016.
- Keitaro Iida, Taku Naiki, Noriyasu Kawai, Toshiki Etani, Ryosuke Ando, Yosuke Ikegami, Takehiko Okamura, Hiroki Kubota, Atsushi Okada, Kenjiro Kohri, and Takahiro Yasui, “Bacillus Calmette-Guerin therapy after the second transurethral resection significantly decreases recurrence in patients with new onset high-grade T1 bladder cancer,” BMC Urology, vol. 16, no. 1, 2016.
- Sean G Smith, and David A Zaharoff, “Future directions in bladder cancer immunotherapy: towards adaptive immunity,” Immunotherapy, 2016.
- H. Barton Grossman, Donald L. Lamm, Ashish M. Kamat, Stephen Keefe, John A. Taylor, and Molly A. Ingersoll, “Innovation in Bladder Cancer Immunotherapy,” Journal of Immunotherapy, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 291–297, 2016.
- Ilias Elmouki, and Smahane Saadi, “Quadratic and linear controls developing an optimal treatment for the use of BCG immunotherapy in superficial bladder cancer,” Optimal Control Applications & Methods, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 176–189, 2016.
- Thenappan Chandrasekar, and Christopher P. Evans, “Autophagy and urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: A review,” Investigative and Clinical Urology, vol. 57, no. Suppl1, pp. S89, 2016.