- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 192720, 24 pages
Nested Variant of Urothelial Carcinoma
Department of Urology, North Manchester General Hospital, Delaunays Road, Crumpsall, Manchester, UK
Received 26 July 2013; Revised 27 August 2013; Accepted 29 August 2013; Published 22 January 2014
Academic Editor: Nazareno Suardi
Copyright © 2014 Anthony Kodzo-Grey Venyo. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Stern, “Unusual benign bladder tumor of Brunn nest origin,” Urology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 288–289, 1979.
- D. Dhall, H. Al-Ahmadie, and S. Olgac, “Nested variant of urothelial carcinoma,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 131, no. 11, pp. 1725–1727, 2007.
- M. L. Talbert and R. H. Young, “Carcinomas of the urinary bladder with deceptively benign-appearing foci. A report of three cases,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 374–381, 1989.
- W. M. Murphy and D. G. Deana, “The nested variant of transitional cell carcinoma: a neoplasm resembling proliferation of Brunn's nests,” Modern Pathology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 240–243, 1992.
- R. V. Rouse, “Nested Variant Urothelial (Transitional Cell) Carcinoma Surgical Pathology Criteria,” 2012, http://surgpathcriteria.stanford.edu/bladder/tcc-nested-variant-transitional-urothelial-carcinoma/.
- R. Parakh, “Bladder urothelial carcinoma—invasive nested variant,” 2013, http://pathologyoutlines.com/, http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/bladderurothelialnested.html.
- O. Lin, M. Cardillo, G. Dalbagni, I. Linkov, B. Hutchinson, and V. E. Reuter, “Nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 12 cases,” Modern Pathology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1289–1298, 2003.
- M. J. Wasco, S. Daignault, D. Bradley, and R. B. Shah, “Nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 30 pure and mixed cases,” Human Pathology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 163–171, 2010.
- R. H. Young and E. Oliva, “Transitional cell carcinomas of the urinary bladder that may be underdiagnosed: a report of four invasive cases exemplifying the homology between neoplastic and non-neoplastic transitional cell lesions,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1448–1454, 1996.
- P. A. Drew, J. Furman, F. Civantos, and W. M. Murphy, “The nested variant of transitional cell carcinoma: n aggressive neoplasm with innocuous histology,” Modern Pathology, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 989–994, 1996.
- J. Wang, G. Talmon, S. A. Kazmi, L. E. Siref, and M. C. Morris, “Metastases from nested variant urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder in pancreatic allograft mimicking graft rejection,” Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 145–148, 2012.
- H. Tatsura, K. Ogawa, T. Sakata, and T. Okamura, “A nested variant of transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a case report,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 287–289, 2001.
- T. Terada, “Nested variant of urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder,” Rare Tumors, vol. 3, no. 4, article e42, 2011.
- E. de Berardinis, G. M. Busetto, R. Giovannone, G. Antonini, M. di Placido, and V. Gentile, “Recurrent transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a mixed nested variant case report and literature review,” Canadian Urological Association Journal, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. e57–e60, 2012.
- M. Cardillo, V. E. Reuter, and O. Lin, “Cytologic features of the nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: a study of seven cases,” Cancer, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 23–27, 2003.
- E. Dundar, M. F. Acikalin, and C. Can, “The nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: an aggressive tumor closely simulating benign lesions,” Pathology and Oncology Research, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 105–107, 2006.
- C. Badoual, A. M. Bergemer-Fouquet, L. Renjard et al., “A variant of transitional cell carcinoma: the “nested variant of urothelial carcinoma” Report of two cases,” Annales de Pathologie, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 119–123, 1999.
- S. Krishnamoorthy, A. Korula, and N. Kekre, “The nested variant of transitional cell carcinoma of urinary bladder: an aggressive tumour with a bland morphology,” Indian Journal of Urology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 378–380, 2006.
- B. H. Ozdemir, G. Ozdemir, and A. Sertçelik, “The nested variant of the transitional cell bladder carcinoma. A case report and review of the literature,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 257–258, 2000.
- S. Holmäng and S. L. Johansson, “The nested variant of transitional cell carcinoma—a rare neoplasm with poor prognosis,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 102–105, 2001.
- S. M. Ooi, J. Vivian, R. Sinniah, and S. Troon, “Nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: a rare presentation,” Urology, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 845.e3–845.e5, 2006.
- B. J. Linder, I. Frank, J. C. Cheville et al., “Outcomes following radical cystectomy for nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: a matched cohort analysis,” Journal of Urology, vol. 189, no. 5, pp. 1670–1675, 2012.
- S. Tripodi, B. J. Rocca, M. R. Ambrosio, F. Gentile, and M. Cintorino, “Pelvic urothelial carcinoma with nested pattern of growth and an uncommon clinical presentation: a case report,” Analytical and Quantitative Cytology and Histology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 340–344, 2011.
- N. Cerda, A. Corominas-Cishek, G. Muñiz et al., “Nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: report of 2 cases,” in Proceedings of the 25th European Congress of Pathology Session Uropathology, Lisbon, Portugal, August-September 2013, http://www1.esp-congress.org/guest/AbstractView?ABSID=6285.
- E. Yildiz, H. Özer, and G. Gökçe, “Mesanenin “ nested” variant ürotelyal karsinomu: olgu suumu Nestedvariant urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: a case report,” Turkiye Ekopetoloji Dergisi, vol. 9, no. 1-2, pp. 39–43, 2003.
- M. Pusztaszeri, J. Hauser, C. Iselin, J. F. Egger, and M. F. Pelte, “Urothelial carcinoma “nested variant” of renal pelvis and ureter,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 778.e15–778.e17, 2007.
- S. K. Lau, “Nested variant of urothelial carcinoma of the renal pelvis,” Pathology, Research & Practice, vol. 205, no. 7, pp. 508–512, 2009.
- G. Q. Xiao, S. J. Savage, M. E. Gribetz, D. E. Burstein, L. K. Miller, and P. D. Unger, “The nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: clinicopathology of 2 cases,” Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, vol. 127, no. 8, pp. e333–e336, 2003.
- Q. Huang, P. G. Chu, S. K. Lau, and L. M. Weiss, “Urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder with a component of acinar/tubular type differentiation simulating prostatic adenocarcinoma,” Human Pathology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 769–773, 2004.
- K. E. Volmar, T. Y. Chan, A. M. de Marzo, and J. I. Epstein, “Florid von Brunn nests mimicking urothelial carcinoma: a morphologic and immunohistochemical comparison to the nested variant of urothelial carcinoma,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1243–1252, 2003.
- F. Liedberg, G. Chebil, T. Davidsson, V. Gadaleanu, M. Grabe, and W. Mansson, “The nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: a rare but important bladder neoplasm with aggressive behavior—three case reports and a review of the literature,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 7–9, 2003.
- R. Cox and J. I. Epstein, “Large nested variant of urothelial carcinoma: 23 cases mimicking von brunn nests and inverted growth pattern of noninvasive papillary urothelial carcinoma,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1337–1342, 2011.
- D. Zani, C. Simeone, A. Antonelli, E. Bettini, A. Moroni, and S. Cosciani Cunico, “Cancer in kidney transplantation,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 329–331, 2008.
- C. M. Vajdic, S. P. McDonald, M. R. E. McCredie et al., “Cancer incidence before and after kidney transplantation,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 23, pp. 2823–2831, 2006.
- M. J. Lemmers and J. M. Barry, “De novo carcinoma of the lower urinary tract in renal allograft recipients,” Journal of Urology, vol. 144, no. 5, pp. 1233–1235, 1990.
- R. R. M. Gifford, J. E. Wofford, and W. G. Edwards Jr., “Carcinoma of the bladder in renal transplant patients. A case report and collective review of cases,” Clinical Transplantation, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 1998.
- D. Geetha, B. C. Tong, L. Racusen, J. S. Markowitz, and W. H. Westra, “Bladder carcinoma in a transplant recipient: evidence to implicate the BK human polyomavirus as a causal transforming agent,” Transplantation, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 1933–1936, 2002.
- World Health Organization Classification of Tumors, “Infiltrating urothelial carcinoma,” in Tumors of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs, J. N. Eble, G. Sauter, J. I. Epsteim, and I. A. Sesterhenn, Eds., pp. 93–110, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2004.
- C. N. Sternberg, A. Yagoda, H. I. Scher et al., “Methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin for advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium. Efficacy and patterns of response and relapse,” Cancer, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 2448–2458, 1989.
- H. von der Maase, L. Sengelov, J. T. Roberts et al., “Long-term survival results of a randomized trial comparing gemcitabine plus cisplatin, with methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, plus cisplatin in patients with bladder cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 21, pp. 4602–4608, 2005.
- K. T. Mai, G. Elmontaser, D. G. Perkins, H. M. Yazdi, W. A. Stinson, and A. Thijssen, “Histopathological and immunohistochemical study of papillary urothelial neoplasms of low malignant potential and grade associated with extensive invasive low-grade urothelial carcinoma,” BJU International, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 544–547, 2004.