Research Article | Open Access
Constantinos J. Milios, Catherine P. Raptopoulou, Aris Terzis, Spyros P. Perlepes, Giannis S. Papaefstathiou, "A Mononuclear and a Mixed-Valence Chain Polymer Arising from Copper(II) Halide Chemistry and the Use of 2,2'-Pyridil", Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications, vol. 2007, Article ID 028508, 6 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/28508
A Mononuclear and a Mixed-Valence Chain Polymer Arising from Copper(II) Halide Chemistry and the Use of 2,2'-Pyridil
Reactions of -pyridil (pyCOCOpy) with and in EtOH yielded the mononuclear complex (1) and the one-dimensional, mixed-valence complex (2), respectively. Both complexes crystallize in the triclinic space group P . The lattice constants are (2), (2), (2), (1), (1), for 1 and (1), (2), (1), (1), (1), for 2. -pyridil undergoes a metal-assisted alcoholysis and oxidation leading to decomposition and yielding the ethyl picolinate (pyCOOEt) ligand. The autoredox process associated with the reduction of copper(II) to copper(I) in the case of complex 2 is discussed in terms of the increased redox activity of the copper(II) bromide system relative to the copper(II) chloride system.
- G. S. Papaefstathiou and S. P. Perlepes, “Families of polynuclear manganese, cobalt, nickel and copper complexes stabilized by various forms of di-2-pyridyl ketone,” Comments on Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 249–274, 2002.
- C. J. Milios, T. C. Stamatatos, and S. P. Perlepes, “The coordination chemistry of pyridyl oximes,” Polyhedron, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 134–194, 2006, (Polyhedron Report).
- G. S. Papaefstathiou, C. P. Raptopoulou, A. Tsohos, A. Terzis, E. G. Bakalbassis, and S. P. Perlepes, “Alcoholysis of -pyridil, , in the presence of copper(II): a family of planar pentanuclear copper(II) complexes stabilized by and carboxylate ligands,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 20, pp. 4658–4662, 2000.
- R. D. Willett, G. Pon, and C. Nagy, “Crystal chemistry of the -dimethyl-bipyridine/copper bromide system,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 17, pp. 4342–4352, 2001.
- R. D. Willett, “Bromination of the 3-chloroanilinium cation: structure of a novel two-dimensional copper(I) bromide lattice prepared via in-situ redox processes,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 966–971, 2001.
- R. D. Willett and K. Halvorson, “Structures of catalytically related species involving copper(II) halides. VI. Tetrakis(3-aminopyridinium) decabromodicuprate(I)dicuprate(II),” Acta Crystallographica, vol. C44, pp. 2068–2071, 1988.
- J. P. Fackler Jr., “Mixed valence compounds,” in Encyclopedia of Inorganic Chemistry, R. B. King, Ed., vol. 5, pp. 2270–2281, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1994.
- E. W. Constable, Metals and Ligand Reactivity, VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2nd edition, 1996.
- M. G. Barandika, Z. E. Serna, M. K. Urtiaga, J. I. R. De Larramendi, M. I. Arriortua, and R. Cortés, “Crystal structure and magnetic properties of two metal-picolinate systems obtained from degradation of bis(2-pyridylketone) through reaction with Mn(II) and Cu(II),” Polyhedron, vol. 18, no. 8-9, pp. 1311–1316, 1999.
- M. Du, X.-H. Bu, M. Shionoya, and M. Shiro, “Metal assisted rearrangement of -pyridil with and : syntheses, characterization and crystal structures,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 607, no. 2-3, pp. 155–161, 2002.
- B. F. Abrahams, T. A. Hudson, and R. Robson, “In situ synthesis of trisubstituted methanol ligands and their potential as one-pot generators of cubane-like metal complexes,” Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 27, pp. 7095–7102, 2006.
- R. W. Hay and C. R. Clark, “Transition metal complexes of 2-carbethoxypyridine (ethyl picolinate),” Transition Metal Chemistry, vol. 4, pp. 28–31, 1979.
- K. Nakamoto, Infrared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compounds, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 1986.
- A. Álvarez-Larena, W. Clegg, L. Cucurull-Sánchez et al., “Mercury(II) halide adducts of esters of 2-pyridinecarboxylic acid. Crystal structures and structural variations within the series , , Et, , ,” Inorganica Chimica Acta, vol. 266, no. 1, pp. 81–90, 1997.
Copyright © 2007 Constantinos J. Milios et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.