Biomedical Applications of Colloidal NanocrystalsView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Masanori Ando, Chunliang Li, Ping Yang, Norio Murase, "Blue-Emitting Small Silica Particles Incorporating ZnSe-Based Nanocrystals Prepared by Reverse Micelle Method", BioMed Research International, vol. 2007, Article ID 052971, 7 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/52971
Blue-Emitting Small Silica Particles Incorporating ZnSe-Based Nanocrystals Prepared by Reverse Micelle Method
ZnSe-based nanocrystals (ca. 4-5 nm in diameter) emitting in blue region (ca. 445 nm) were incorporated in spherical small silica particles (20–40 nm in diameter) by a reverse micelle method. During the preparation, alkaline solution was used to deposit the hydrolyzed alkoxide on the surface of nanocrystals. It was crucially important for this solution to include ions and surfactant molecules (thioglycolic acid) to preserve the spectral properties of the final silica particles. This is because these substances in the solution prevent the surface of nanocrystals from deterioration by dissolution during processing. The resultant silica particles have an emission efficiency of 16% with maintaining the photoluminescent spectral width and peak wavelength of the initial colloidal solution.
- A. P. Alivisatos, “Perspectives on the physical chemistry of semiconductor nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 31, pp. 13226–13239, 1996.
- M. Bruchez Jr., M. Moronne, P. Gin, S. Weiss, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Semiconductor nanocrystals as fluorescent biological labels,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2013–2016, 1998.
- M. Han, X. Gao, J. Z. Su, and S. Nie, “Quantum-dot-tagged microbeads for multiplexed optical coding of biomolecules,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 631–635, 2001.
- W. C. W. Chan, D. J. Maxwell, X. Gao, R. E. Bailey, M. Han, and S. Nie, “Luminescent quantum dots for multiplexed biological detection and imaging,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2002.
- W. J. Parak, D. Gerion, T. Pellegrino et al., “Biological applications of colloidal nanocrystals,” Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. R15–R27, 2003.
- X. Michalet, F. F. Pinaud, L. A. Bentolila et al., “Quantum dots for live cells, in vivo imaging, and diagnostics,” Science, vol. 307, no. 5709, pp. 538–544, 2005.
- N. P. Gaponik, D. V. Talapin, A. L. Rogach, and A. Eychmüller, “Electrochemical synthesis of CdTe nanocrystal/polypyrrole composites for optoelectronic applications,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 2163–2166, 2000.
- S. Coe, W.-K. Woo, M. Bawendi, and V. Bulović, “Electroluminescence from single monolayers of nanocrystals in molecular organic devices,” Nature, vol. 420, no. 6917, pp. 800–803, 2002.
- Y. Mori, Y. Arao, K. Tsuchiya, and K. Shimamura, “Photoluminescence properties of ZnS nanoparticles prepared in clay suspension,” in Proceedings of the 58th Divisional Meeting on Colloid and Interface Chemistry, p. 300, Utsunomiya, Japan, September 2005.
- D. Toomre and D. J. Manstein, “Lighting up the cell surface with evanescent wave microscopy,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 298–303, 2001.
- Phosphor Research Society, Ed., Handbook of Phosphors, Ohmsha, Tokyo, Japan, 1987.
- B. O. Dabbousi, J. Rodriguez-Viejo, F. V. Mikulec et al., “(CdSe)ZnS core-shell quantum dots: synthesis and characterization of a size series of highly luminescent nanocrystallites,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 101, no. 46, pp. 9463–9475, 1997.
- A. L. Rogach, L. Katsikas, A. Kornowski, D. S. Su, A. Eychmüller, and H. Weller, “Synthesis and characterization of thiol-stabilized CdTe nanocrystals,” Berichte der Bunsen-Gesellschaft-Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, pp. 1772–1778, 1996.
- C. Li and N. Murase, “Surfactant-dependent photoluminescence of CdTe nanocrystals in aqueous solution,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 92–93, 2005.
- N. Murase and M. Gao, “Preparation and photoluminescence of water-dispersible ZnSe nanocrystals,” Materials Letters, vol. 58, no. 30, pp. 3898–3902, 2004.
- C. Li, K. Nishikawa, M. Ando, H. Enomoto, and N. Murase, “Highly luminescent water-soluble ZnSe nanocrystals and their incorporation in a glass matrix,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 294, no. 1–3, pp. 33–39, 2007.
- C. Li, K. Nishikawa, M. Ando, H. Enomoto, and N. Murase, “Blue-emitting type-II semiconductor nanocrystals with high efficiency prepared by aqueous method,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 438–439, 2007.
- S. T. Selvan, C. Bullen, M. Ashokkumar, and P. Mulvaney, “Synthesis of tunable, highly luminescent QD-glasses through sol-gel processing,” Advanced Materials, vol. 13, no. 12-13, pp. 985–988, 2001.
- C. Bullen, P. Mulvaney, C. Sada, M. Ferrari, A. Chiasera, and A. Martucci, “Incorporation of a highly luminescent semiconductor quantum dot in hybrid sol-gel glass film,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1112–1116, 2004.
- C. Li and N. Murase, “Synthesis of highly luminescent glasses incorporating CdTe nanocrystals through sol-gel processing,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2004.
- C. Li, M. Ando, and N. Murase, “Preparation and characterization of glass embedding photoluminescent CdTe nanocrystals,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 342, no. 1-3, pp. 32–38, 2004.
- S. T. Selvan, C. Li, M. Ando, and N. Murase, “Formation of luminescent CdTe-silica nanoparticles through an inverse microemulsion technique,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 434–435, 2004.
- P. Yang, M. Ando, and N. Murase, “Encapsulation of emitting CdTe QDs within silica beads to retain initial photoluminescence efficiency,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 316, no. 2, pp. 420–427, 2007.
- P. Yang, C. Li, and N. Murase, “Highly photoluminescent multilayer QD-glass films prepared by LbL self-assembly,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 19, pp. 8913–8917, 2005.
- P. Yang and N. Murase, “Intensely emitting CdTe nanocrystals retained initial photoluminescence efficiency in sol-gel derived glass,” Applied Physics A, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 189–193, 2007.
- D. Gerion, F. Pinaud, S. C. Williams et al., “Synthesis and properties of biocompatible water-soluble silica-coated CdSe/ZnS semiconductor quantum dots,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 37, pp. 8861–8871, 2001.
- Y. Chan, J. P. Zimmer, M. Stroh, J. S. Steckel, R. K. Jain, and M. G. Bawendi, “Incorporation of luminescent nanocrystals into monodisperse core-shell silica microspheres,” Advanced Materials, vol. 16, no. 23-24, pp. 2092–2097, 2004.
- S. T. Selvan, T. T. Tan, and J. Y. Ying, “Robust, non-cytotoxic, silica-coated CdSe quantum dots with efficient photoluminescence,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 13, pp. 1620–1625, 2005.
- Y. Yang and M. Gao, “Preparation of fluorescent particles with single CdTe nanocrystal cores by the reverse microemulsion method,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 2354–2357, 2005.
- M. Darbandi, R. Thomann, and T. Nann, “Single quantum dots in silica spheres by microemulsion synthesis,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 23, pp. 5720–5725, 2005.
- X. Zhong, M. Han, Z. Dong, T. J. White, and W. Knoll, “Composition-tunable nanocrystals with high luminescence and stability,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 28, pp. 8589–8594, 2003.
- R. Li, J. Lee, D. Kang, Z. Luo, M. Aindow, and F. Papadimitrakopoulos, “Band-edge photoluminescence recovery from zinc-blende CdSe nanocrystals synthesized at room temperature,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 345–350, 2006.
- Q. Zhao and W. Xu, “One-step preparation of ZnSe nanorod aggregates,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1186–1187, 2006.
- D. F. Eaton, “Reference materials for fluorescence measurement,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 1107–1114, 1988.
Copyright © 2007 Masanori Ando et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.