- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2007 (2007), Article ID 69036, 19 pages
Significance of Nano- and Microtopography for Cell-Surface Interactions in Orthopaedic Implants
1Department of Orthopaedics, Heinrich-Heine University Medical School, Moorenstrasse 5, Duesseldorf 40225, Germany
2Institute of Anatomy II, Heinrich-Heine University Medical School, Universitätsstrasse 1, Duesseldorf 40225, Germany
Received 18 March 2007; Accepted 5 August 2007
Academic Editor: Hicham Fenniri
Copyright © 2007 M. Jäger et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [66 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Gagandeep Kaur, Mani T. Valarmathi, Jay D. Potts, and Qian Wang, “The promotion of osteoblastic differentiation of rat bone marrow stromal cells by a polyvalent plant mosaic virus,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 30, pp. 4074–4081, 2008.
- Kakoli Das, Vamsi Krishna Balla, Amit Bandyopadhyay, and Susmita Bose, “Surface modification of laser-processed porous titanium for load-bearing implants,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 822–825, 2008.
- Tyler L. Perry, Dirk Werschmoeller, Xiaochun Li, Frank E. Pfefferkorn, and Neil A. Duffie, “Pulsed laser polishing of micro-milled Ti6Al4V samples,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 74–81, 2009.
- Sung Hee Chung, and Junhong Min, “Morphological investigations of cells that adhered to the irregular patterned polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) surface without reagents,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 861–867, 2009.
- Jian Li, Yizao Wan, Lianfeng Li, Hui Liang, and Jiehua Wang, “Preparation and characterization of 2,3-dialdehyde bacterial cellulose for potential biodegradable tissue engineering scaffolds,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1635–1642, 2009.
- Ulrika Brohede, Shuxi Zhao, Fredrik Lindberg, Albert Mihranyan, Johan Forsgren, Maria Stromme, and Hakan Engqvist, “A novel graded bioactive high adhesion implant coating,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 255, no. 17, pp. 7723–7728, 2009.
- Viswanathan S. Saji, Han Cheol Choe, and William A. Brantley, “Nanotubular oxide layer formation on Ti–13Nb–13Zr alloy as a function of applied potential,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 44, no. 15, pp. 3975–3982, 2009.
- M. Veith, O. C. Aktas, W. Metzger, D. Sossong, H. Ullah Wazir, I. Grobelsek, N. Puetz, G. Wennemuth, T. Pohlemann, and M. Oberringer, “Adhesion of fibroblasts on micro- and nanostructured surfaces prepared by chemical vapor deposition and pulsed laser treatment,” Biofabrication, vol. 2, no. 3, 2010.
- Claudia Matschegewski, Susanne Staehlke, Ronny Loeffler, Regina Lange, Feng Chai, Dieter P. Kern, Ulrich Beck, and Barbara J. Nebe, “Cell architecture-cell function dependencies on titanium arrays with regular geometry,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 22, pp. 5729–5740, 2010.
- A. Ranella, M. Barberoglou, S. Bakogianni, C. Fotakis, and E. Stratakis, “Tuning cell adhesion by controlling the roughness and wettability of 3D micro/nano silicon structures,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 2711–2720, 2010.
- Antonella Milella, Fabio Palumbo, Riccardo D'Agostino, Pietro Favia, Rosa Di Mundo, Roberto Gristina, Elaisa Sardella, Francesca Intranuovo, and Marina Nardulli, “Micro-/nanoscale structuring of cell-culture substrates with fluorocarbon plasmas,” Plasma Processes and Polymers, vol. 7, no. 3-4, pp. 212–223, 2010.
- Viswanathan S. Saji, Han Cheol Choe, and Kelvin W. K. Yeung, “Nanotechnology in biomedical applications: A review,” International Journal of Nano and Biomaterials, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 119–139, 2010.
- Fuming He, Feng Zhang, Guoli Yang, Xiaoxiang Wang, and Shifang Zhao, “Enhanced initial proliferation and differentiation of MC3T3-E1 cells on HF/HNO3 solution treated nanostructural titanium surface,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. e13–e22, 2010.
- Alain Carre, and Valerie Lacarriere, “How Substrate Properties Control Cell Adhesion. A Physical-Chemical Approach,” Journal Of Adhesion Science And Technology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 815–830, 2010.
- Juergen M. Lackner, and Wolfgang Waldhauser, “Inorganic PVD and CVD Coatings in Medicine - A Review of Protein and Cell Adhesion on Coated Surfaces,” Journal Of Adhesion Science And Technology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 925–961, 2010.
- Todorka G. Vladkova, “Surface Engineered Polymeric Biomaterials with Improved Biocontact Properties,” International Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 2010, pp. 1–22, 2010.
- A. S. Brydone, D. Meek, and S. Maclaine, “Bone grafting, orthopaedic biomaterials, and the clinical need for bone engineering,” Proceedings of The Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part H-Journal of En, vol. 224, no. H12, pp. 1329–1343, 2010.
- J.H.Y. Ting, M.R. Haas, S.M. Valenzuela, and D.K. Martin, “Terminating polyelectrolyte in multilayer films influences growth and morphology of adhering cells,” IET Nanobiotechnology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 77, 2010.
- Todorka Vladkova, and Natalia Krasteva, “Nanoengineered systems for regenerative medicine surface engineered polymeric biomaterials with improved bio-contact properties,” NATO Science for Peace and Security Series A: Chemistry and Biology, pp. 157–174, 2010.
- Q. Q. Wang, W. Li, and B. C. Yang, “Regulation on the biocompatibility of bioactive titanium metals by type I collagen,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 99A, no. 1, pp. 125–134, 2011.
- Anders Palmquist, Lena Emanuelsson, Rickard Brånemark, and Peter Thomsen, “Biomechanical, histological and ultrastructural analyses of laser micro- and nano-structured titanium implant after 6 months in rabbit,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, vol. 97B, no. 2, pp. 289–298, 2011.
- E. Stratakis, A. Ranella, and C. Fotakis, “Biomimetic micro/nanostructured functional surfaces for microfluidic and tissue engineering applications,” Biomicrofluidics, vol. 5, no. 1, 2011.
- Yong Wu, Joseph P. Zitelli, Kevor S. TenHuisen, Xiaojun Yu, and Matthew R. Libera, “Differential response of Staphylococci and osteoblasts to varying titanium surface roughness,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 951–960, 2011.
- Fabio Variola, John B. Brunski, Giovanna Orsini, Paulo Tambasco de Oliveira, Rima Wazen, and Antonio Nanci, “Nanoscale surface modifications of medically relevant metals: state-of-the art and perspectives,” Nanoscale, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 335–353, 2011.
- Caterina Minelli, Akiko Yamamoto, and Mi-Jeong Kim, “Optically Patternable Polymer Films as Model Interfaces to Study Cellular Behaviour on Topographically Structured Materials,” Journal Of Biomaterials Science-Polymer Edition, vol. 22, no. 4-6, pp. 577–588, 2011.
- Mats Hulander, Anders Lundgren, Mattias Berglin, Mattias Ohrlander, Jukka Lausmaa, and Hans Elwing, “Immune complement activation is attenuated by surface nanotopography,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 2653–2666, 2011.
- V. Guarino, A. Gloria, M. G. Raucci, and R. De Santis, “Bio-inspired composite and cell instructive platforms for bone regeneration,” International Materials Reviews, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 256–275, 2012.
- Hsu-An Pan, Yao-Ching Hung, Jin-Chern Chiou, Shih-Ming Tai, Hsin-Hung Chen, and G Steven Huang, “Nanosurface design of dental implants for improved cell growth and function,” Nanotechnology, vol. 23, no. 33, pp. 335703, 2012.
- Claudia Matschegewski, Susanne Staehlke, Harald Birkholz, Regina Lange, Ulrich Beck, Konrad Engel, and J. Barbara Nebe, “Automatic Actin Filament Quantification of Osteoblasts and Their Morphometric Analysis on Microtextured Silicon-Titanium Arrays,” Materials, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1176–1195, 2012.
- Kilsoo Jeon, Hyun-Jik Oh, Hyejin Lim, Jung-Hyun Kim, Duk Hyun Lee, Eung-Ryoung Lee, Bae Ho Park, and Ssang-Goo Cho, “Self-renewal of embryonic stem cells through culture on nanopattern polydimethylsiloxane substrate,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 21, pp. 5206–5220, 2012.
- Shih-Ping Yang, Chyun-Yu Yang, Tzer-Min Lee, and Truan-Sheng Lui, “Effects of calcium-phosphate topography on osteoblast mechanobiology determined using a cytodetacher,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 254–262, 2012.
- Josef Stráský, Jana Havlíková, Lucie Bačáková, Petr Harcuba, Mansour Mhaede, and Miloš Janeček, “Characterization of electric discharge machining, subsequent etching and shot-peening as a surface treatment for orthopedic implants,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 281, pp. 73–78, 2013.
- Halime Kenar, Erhan Akman, Elif Kacar, Arif Demir, Haiwoong Park, Hashim Abdul-Khaliq, Cenk Aktas, and Erdal Karaoz, “Femtosecond laser treatment of 316L improves its surface nanoroughness and carbon content and promotes osseointegration: An in vitro evaluation,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 108, pp. 305–312, 2013.
- Yan Gao, Ying Liu, Lei Zhou, Zehong Guo, Mingdeng Rong, Xiangning Liu, Chunhua Lai, and Xianglong Ding, “The Effects of Different Wavelength UV Photofunctionalization on Micro-Arc Oxidized Titanium,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Stephane Descamps, Komla O. Awitor, Vincent Raspal, Matthew B. Johnson, Roshan S. P. Bokalawela, Preston R. Larson, and Curtis F. Doiron, “Mechanical Properties of Nanotextured Titanium Orthopedic Screws for Clinical Applications,” Journal of Medical Devices-Transactions of The Asme, vol. 7, no. 2, 2013.
- Kyoung Je Cha, Jung Min Hong, Dong-Woo Cho, and Dong Sung Kim, “Enhanced osteogenic fate and function of MC3T3-E1 cells on nanoengineered polystyrene surfaces with nanopillar and nanopore arrays,” Biofabrication, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 025007, 2013.
- Kathryn Grandfield, Anders Palmquist, and Håkan Engqvist, “Three-dimensional structure of laser-modified Ti6Al4V and bone interface revealed with STEM tomography,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 127, pp. 48–52, 2013.
- F. Poncin-Epaillard, J.M. Herry, P. Marmey, G. Legeay, D. Debarnot, and M.N. Bellon-Fontaine, “Elaboration of highly hydrophobic polymeric surface — a potential strategy to reduce the adhesion of pathogenic bacteria?,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 1152–1161, 2013.
- Ajay Vikram Singh, Rajendra Patil, Dipalee K. Thombre, and W. N. Gade, “Micro-nanopatterning as tool to study the role of physicochemical properties on cell-surface interactions,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2013.
- H. Yazici, H. Fong, B. Wilson, E.E. Oren, F.A. Amos, H. Zhang, J.S. Evans, M.L. Snead, M. Sarikaya, and C. Tamerler, “Biological response on a titanium implant-grade surface functionalized with modular peptides,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 5341–5352, 2013.
- Anders Palmquist, Anna Johansson, Felicia Suska, Rickard Brånemark, and Peter Thomsen, “Acute Inflammatory Response to Laser-Induced Micro- and Nano-Sized Titanium Surface Features,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 96–104, 2013.
- Milena R. Kaluđerović, Joachim P. Schreckenbach, and Hans-Ludwig Graf, “Zirconia coated titanium for implants and their interactions with osteoblasts cells,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, 2014.
- L. Lara Rodriguez, P. A. Sundaram, E. Rosim-Fachini, A. M. Padovani, and N. Diffoot-Carlo, “Plasma electrolytic oxidation coatings on gamma TiAl alloy for potential biomedical applications,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B-Applied Biomaterials, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 988–1001, 2014.
- Milena R. Kaluderovic, Joachim P. Schreckenbach, and Hans-Ludwig Graf, “First titanium dental implants with white surfaces: Preparation and in vitro tests,” Dental Materials, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 759–768, 2014.
- Noel L. Davison, Bas ten Harkel, Ton Schoenmaker, Xiaoman Luo, Huipin Yuan, Vincent Everts, Florence Barrère-de Groot, and Joost D. de Bruijn, “Osteoclast resorption of beta-tricalcium phosphate controlled by surface architecture,” Biomaterials, 2014.
- Pricilla Santiago-Medina, Paul A. Sundaram, and Nanette Diffoot-Carlo, “The effects of micro arc oxidation of gamma titanium aluminide surfaces on osteoblast adhesion and differentiation,” Journal of Materials Science-Materials in Medicine, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1577–1587, 2014.
- Soo-Hyuk Uhm, Doo-Hoon Song, Jae-Sung Kwon, Sang-Bae Lee, Jeon-Geon Han, and Kyoung-Nam Kim, “Tailoring of antibacterial Ag nanostructures on TiO2 nanotube layers by magnetron sputtering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B-Applied Biomaterials, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 592–603, 2014.
- N.L. Davison, A.L. Gamblin, P. Layrolle, H. Yuan, J.D. de Bruijn, and F. Barrère-de Groot, “Liposomal clodronate inhibition of osteoclastogenesis and osteoinduction by submicrostructured beta-tricalcium phosphate,” Biomaterials, 2014.
- Jana Havlikova, Josef Strasky, Marta Vandrovcova, Petr Harcuba, Mansour Mhaede, Milos Janecek, and Lucie Bacakova, “Innovative surface modification of Ti-6Al-4V alloy with a positive effect on osteoblast proliferation and fatigue performance,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, 2014.
- Ying-Sui Sun, Jean-Heng Chang, and Her-Hsiung Huang, “Using submicroporous Ta oxide coatings deposited by a simple hydrolysis-condensation process to increase the biological responses to Ti surface,” Surface and Coatings Technology, 2014.
- Eiji Kato, Masahiro Yamada, and Kaoru Sakurai, “Retrospective clinical outcome of nanopolymorphic crystalline hydroxyapatite-coated and anodic oxidized titanium implants for 10 years,” Journal of Prosthodontic Research, 2014.
- Kui Cheng, Mengfei Yu, Yang Liu, Fei Ge, Jun Lin, Wenjian Weng, and Huiming Wang, “Influence of integration of TiO2 nanorods into its nanodot films on pre-osteoblast cell responses,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2014.
- V. Antonini, S. Torrengo, L. Marocchi, L. Minati, M. Dalla Serra, G. Bao, and G. Speranza, “Combinatorial plasma polymerization approach to produce thin films for testing cell proliferation,” Colloids and Surfaces B-Biointerfaces, vol. 113, pp. 320–329, 2014.
- Ricardo Tejero, Eduardo Anitua, and Gorka Orive, “Towards the biomimetic implant surface: Biopolymers on titanium-based implants for bone regeneration,” Progress in Polymer Science, 2014.
- Giuseppe Maria de Peppo, Hossein Agheli, Camilla Karlsson, Karin Ekstroem, Helena Brisby, Maria Lenneras, Stefan Gustafsson, Peter Sjovall, Anna Johansson, Eva Olsson, Jukka Lausmaa, Peter Thomsen, and Sarunas Petronis, “Osteogenic response of human mesenchymal stem cells to well-defined nanoscale topography in vitro,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 9, pp. 2499–2515, 2014.
- L.M. Gonzalez-Perez, N. Fakih-Gomez, B. Gonzalez-Perez-Somarriba, G. Centeno, and J.F. Montes-Carmona, “Two-year prospective study of outcomes following total temporomandibular joint replacement,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2015.
- Kamolrat Metavarayuth, Pongkwan Sitasuwan, Jittima Amie Luckanagul, Sheng Feng, and Qian Wang, “Virus Nanoparticles Mediated Osteogenic Differentiation of Bone Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells,” Advanced Science, 2015.
- Mythili Prakasam, Janis Locs, Kristine Salma-Ancane, Dagnija Loca, Alain Largeteau, and Liga Berzina-Cimdina, “Fabrication, Properties and Applications of Dense Hydroxyapatite: A Review,” Journal of Functional Biomaterials, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1099–1140, 2015.
- Milena R. Kaluđerović, Stephan Mändl, Hannes Kohlweyer, and Hans-Ludwig Graf, “Physical vapour deposition of zirconia on titanium: fabrication, characterization and interaction with human osteoblast cells,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 26, no. 12, 2015.
- Ulrike Kettenberger, Adeliya Latypova, Alexandre Terrier, and Dominique P. Pioletti, “Time course of bone screw fixation following a local delivery of Zoledronate in a rat femoral model – a micro-finite element analysis,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 2015.
- Qi Wang, Mengqi Cheng, Guo He, and Xianlong Zhang, “ Surface Modification of Porous Titanium with Microarc Oxidation and Its Effects on Osteogenesis Activity In Vitro ,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2015, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Chunmei Li, Blake Hotz, Shengjie Ling, Jin Guo, Dylan S. Haas, Benedetto Marelli, Fiorenzo Omenetto, Samuel J. Lin, and David L. Kaplan, “Regenerated silk materials for functionalized silk orthopedic devices by mimicking natural processing,” Biomaterials, 2016.
- M. Mihailescu, I. A. Paun, M. Zamfirescu, C. R. Luculescu, A. M. Acasandrei, and M. Dinescu, “Laser-assisted fabrication and non-invasive imaging of 3D cell-seeding constructs for bone tissue engineering,” Journal Of Materials Science, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 4262–4273, 2016.
- S. Ajami, M. J. Coathup, J. Khoury, and G. W. Blunn, “Augmenting the bioactivity of polyetheretherketone using a novel accelerated neutral atom beam technique,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 2016.
- A.E. Medvedev, A. Neumann, H.P. Ng, R. Lapovok, C. Kasper, T.C. Lowe, V.N. Anumalasetty, and Y. Estrin, “Combined effect of grain refinement and surface modification of pure titanium on the attachment of mesenchymal stem cells and osteoblast-like SaOS-2 cells,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, 2016.
- Milena R. Kaluderovic, Joachim P. Schreckenbach, and Hans-Ludwig Graf, “Plasma-electrochemical deposition of porous zirconia on titanium-based dental material and invitro interactions with primary osteoblasts cells,” Journal Of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 711–721, 2016.