Biomedical Applications of Colloidal NanocrystalsView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Ian D. Tomlinson, Hélène A. Gussin, Deborah M. Little, Michael R. Warnement, Haohua Qian, David R. Pepperberg, Sandra J. Rosenthal, "Imaging Receptors with Ligand-Conjugated Quantum Dots", BioMed Research International, vol. 2007, Article ID 076514, 9 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/76514
Imaging Receptors with Ligand-Conjugated Quantum Dots
We report a methodology for labeling the receptor on the surface membrane of intact cells. This work builds upon our earlier work with serotonin-conjugated quantum dots and our studies with PEGylated quantum dots to reduce nonspecific binding. In the current approach, a PEGylated derivative of muscimol was synthesized and attached via an amide linkage to quantum dots coated in an amphiphilic polymer derivative of a modified polyacrylamide. These conjugates were used to image receptors heterologously expressed in Xenopus laevis oocytes.
- A. Watson, X. Wu, and M. Bruchez, “Lighting up cells with quantum dots,” BioTechniques, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 296–303, 2003.
- W. W. Yu, L. Qu, W. Guo, and X. Peng, “Experimental determination of the extinction coefficient of CdTe, CdSe, and CdS nanocrystals,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 14, pp. 2854–2860, 2003.
- A. Striolo, J. Ward, J. M. Prausnitz et al., “Molecular weight, osmotic second virial coefficient, and extinction coefficient of colloidal CdSe nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 106, no. 21, pp. 5500–5505, 2002.
- J. M. Tsay, M. Pflughoefft, L. A. Bentolila, and S. Weiss, “Hybrid approach to the synthesis of highly luminescent CdTe/ZnS and CdHgTe/ZnS nanocrystals,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 7, pp. 1926–1927, 2004.
- J. Zheng, J. T. Petty, and R. M. Dickson, “High quantum yield blue emission from water-soluble nanodots,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 26, pp. 7780–7781, 2003.
- P. Yang, M. Lü, D. Xü, D. Yuan, and G. Zhou, “Photoluminescence properties of ZnS nanoparticles co-doped with and ,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 336, no. 1-2, pp. 76–80, 2001.
- A. Agostiano, M. Catalano, M. L. Curri, M. Della Monica, L. Manna, and L. Vasanelli, “Synthesis and structural characterisation of CdS nanoparticles prepared in a four-components “water-in-oil” microemulsion,” Micron, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 253–258, 2000.
- A. Schroedter, H. Weller, R. Eritja, W. E. Ford, and J. M. Wessels, “Biofunctionalization of silica-coated CdTe and gold nanocrystals,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 1363–1367, 2002.
- J. McBride, J. Treadway, L. C. Feldman, S. J. Pennycook, and S. J. Rosenthal, “Structural basis for near unity quantum yield core/shell nanostructures,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1496–1501, 2006.
- M. Bäumle, D. Stamou, J.-M. Segura, R. Hovius, and H. Vogel, “Highly fluorescent streptavidin-coated CdSe nanoparticles: preparation in water, characterization, and micropatterning,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 3828–3831, 2004.
- X. Gao, L. Yang, J.A. Petros, J.W. Simons, and S. Nie, “In vivo molecular and cellular imaging with quantum dots,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 63–72, 2005.
- A. P. Alivisatos, “Perspectives on the physical chemistry of semiconductor nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 13226–13239, 1996.
- C. B. Murray, D. J. Norris, and M. G. Bawendi, “Synthesis and characterization of nearly monodisperse CdE (E = S, Se, Te) semiconductor nanocrystallites,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, no. 19, pp. 8706–8715, 1993.
- M. A. Hines and P. Guyot-Sionnest, “Synthesis and characterization of strongly luminescing ZnS-capped CdSe nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 468–471, 1996.
- W. Cai, D.-W. Shin, K. Chen et al., “Peptide-labeled near-infrared quantum dots for imaging tumor vasculature in living subjects,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 669–676, 2006.
- M. Bruchez Jr., M. Moronne, P. Gin, S. Weiss, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Semiconductor nanocrystals as fluorescent biological labels,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2013–2016, 1998.
- W. C. W. Chan and S. Nie, “Quantum dot bioconjugates for ultrasensitive nonisotopic detection,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2016–2018, 1998.
- B. Dubertret, P. Skourides, D. J. Norris, V. Noireaux, A. H. Brivanlou, and A. Libchaber, “In vivo imaging of quantum dots encapsulated in phospholipid micelles,” Science, vol. 298, no. 5599, pp. 1759–1762, 2002.
- D. Gerion, F. Pinaud, S. C. Williams et al., “Synthesis and properties of biocompatible water-soluble silica-coated CdSe/ZnS semiconductor quantum dots,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 37, pp. 8861–8871, 2001.
- T. M. Jovin, “Quantum dots finally come of age,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 32–33, 2003.
- X. Gao, Y. Cui, R. M. Levenson, L. W. K. Chung, and S. Nie, “In vivo cancer targeting and imaging with semiconductor quantum dots,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 969–976, 2004.
- X. Wu, H. Liu, J. Liu et al., “Immunofluorescent labeling of cancer marker Her2 and other cellular targets with semiconductor quantum dots,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2003.
- E. L. Bentzen, I. D. Tomlinson, J. N. Mason et al., “Surface modification to reduce nonspecific binding of quantum dots in live cell assays,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1488–1494, 2005.
- Z. Chunyang, M. Hui, D. Yao, J. Lei, C. Dieyan, and N. Shuming, “Quantum dot-labeled trichosanthin,” The Analyst, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 1029–1031, 2000.
- O. Minet, C. Dressler, and J. Beuthan, “Heat stress induced redistribution of fluorescent quantum dots in breast tumor cells,” Journal of Fluorescence, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 241–247, 2004.
- M. Howarth, K. Takao, Y. Hayashi, and A. Y. Ting, “Targeting quantum dots to surface proteins in living cells with biotin ligase,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 21, pp. 7583–7588, 2005.
- M. Howarth, D. J.-F. Chinnapen, K. Gerrow et al., “A monovalent streptavidin with a single femtomolar biotin binding site,” Nature Methods, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 267–273, 2006.
- M.-V. Ehrensperger, C. Hanus, C. Vannier, A. Triller, and M. Dahan, “Multiple association states between glycine receptors and gephyrin identified by SPT analysis,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 3706–3718, 2007.
- I. L. Medintz and J. R. Deschamps, “Maltose-binding protein: a versatile platform for prototyping biosensing,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 17–27, 2006.
- A. Månsson, M. Sundberg, M. Balaz et al., “In vitro sliding of actin filaments labelled with single quantum dots,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 314, no. 2, pp. 529–534, 2004.
- S. Le Gac, I. Vermes, and A. van den Berg, “Quantum dots based probes conjugated to annexin V for photostable apoptosis detection and imaging,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 1863–1869, 2006.
- M. E. Åkerman, W. C. W. Chan, P. Laakkonen, S. N. Bhatia, and E. Ruoslahti, “Nanocrystal targeting in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 20, pp. 12617–12621, 2002.
- D. S. Lidke, P. Nagy, R. Heintzmann et al., “Quantum dot ligands provide new insights into erbB/HER receptor-mediated signal transduction,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 198–203, 2004.
- I. D. Tomlinson, J. N. Mason, R. D. Blakely, and S. J. Rosenthal, “Peptide-conjugated quantum dots: imaging the angiotensin type 1 receptor in living cells,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 303, pp. 51–60, 2005.
- P. Alivisatos, “The use of nanocrystals in biological detection,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 2004.
- F. Patolsky, R. Gill, Y. Weizmann, T. Mokari, U. Banin, and I. Wiliner, “Lighting-up the dynamics of telomerization and DNA replication by CdSe-ZnS quantum dots,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 46, pp. 13918–13919, 2003.
- D. Gerion, W. J. Parak, S. C. Williams, D. Zanchet, C. M. Micheel, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Sorting fluorescent nanocrystals with DNA,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 24, pp. 7070–7074, 2002.
- Y. Xiao and P. E. Barker, “Semiconductor nanocrystal probes for human metaphase chromosomes,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 32, no. 3, p. e28, 2004.
- W. J. Parak, D. Gerion, D. Zanchet et al., “Conjugation of DNA to silanized colloidal semiconductor nanocrystalline quantum dots,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 2113–2119, 2002.
- C. Srinivasan, J. Lee, F. Papadimitrakopoulos, L. K. Silbart, M. Zhao, and D. J. Burgess, “Labeling and intracellular tracking of functionally active plasmid DNA with semiconductor quantum dots,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 192–201, 2006.
- E. Tholouli, J. A. Hoyland, D. Di Vizio et al., “Imaging of multiple mRNA targets using quantum dot based in situ hybridization and spectral deconvolution in clinical biopsies,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 628–636, 2006.
- C.-Y. Zhang, H.-C. Yeh, M. T. Kuroki, and T.-H. Wang, “Single-quantum-dot-based DNA nanosensor,” Nature Materials, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 826–831, 2005.
- A. Fu, C. M. Micheel, J. Cha, H. Chang, H. Yang, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Discrete nanostructures of quantum dots/Au with DNA,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 35, pp. 10832–10833, 2004.
- W. B. Tan, S. Jiang, and Y. Zhang, “Quantum-dot based nanoparticles for targeted silencing of HER2/neu gene via RNA interference,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1565–1571, 2007.
- R. Chakrabarti and A. M. Klibanov, “Nanocrystals modified with peptide nucleic acids (PNAs) for selective self-assembly and DNA detection,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 41, pp. 12531–12540, 2003.
- S. Bryde, I. Grunwald, A. Hammer et al., “Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-functionalized nanostructured particles for the stimulation of membrane TNF-specific cell responses,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1459–1467, 2005.
- M. Manchester and P. Singh, “Virus-based nanoparticles (VNPs): platform technologies for diagnostic imaging,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 58, no. 14, pp. 1505–1522, 2006.
- L. Dyadyusha, H. Yin, S. Jaiswal et al., “Quenching of CdSe quantum dot emission, a new approach for biosensing,” Chemical Communications, no. 25, pp. 3201–3203, 2005.
- E. R. Goldman, A. R. Clapp, G. P. Anderson et al., “Multiplexed toxin analysis using four colors of quantum dot fluororeagents,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 684–688, 2004.
- M. Dahan, S. Lévi, C. Luccardini, P. Rostaing, B. Riveau, and A. Triller, “Diffusion dynamics of glycine receptors revealed by single-quantum dot tracking,” Science, vol. 302, no. 5644, pp. 442–445, 2003.
- J. N. Mason, H. Farmer, I. D. Tomlinson et al., “Novel fluorescence-based approaches for the study of biogenic amine transporter localization, activity, and regulation,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 3–25, 2005.
- B. Ballou, B. C. Lagerholm, L. A. Ernst, M. P. Bruchez, and A. S. Waggoner, “Noninvasive imaging of quantum dots in mice,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 79–86, 2004.
- S. Kim, Y. T. Lim, E. G. Soltesz et al., “Near-infrared fluorescent type II quantum dots for sentinel lymph node mapping,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 93–97, 2004.
- C. Bouzigues, M. Morel, A. Triller, and M. Dahan, “Asymmetric redistribution of GABA receptors during GABA gradient sensing by nerve growth cones analyzed by single quantum dot imaging,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 27, pp. 11251–11256, 2007.
- S. J. Rosenthal, I. D. Tomlinson, E. M. Adkins et al., “Targeting cell surface receptors with ligand-conjugated nanocrystals,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 17, pp. 4586–4594, 2002.
- I. D. Tomlinson, A. P. Gies, P. J. Gresch et al., “Universal polyethylene glycol linkers for attaching receptor ligands to quantum dots,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 16, no. 24, pp. 6262–6266, 2006.
- I. D. Tomlinson, J. L. Grey, and S. J. Rosenthal, “A synthesis of 6-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-(2-aminopropyl)phenyl)-hexylthiol. A ligand for conjugation with fluorescent cadmium selenide/zinc sulfide core/shell nanocrystals and biological imaging,” Molecules, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 777–790, 2002.
- I. D. Tomlinson, J. Mason, J. N. Burton, R. Blakely, and S. J. Rosenthal, “The design and synthesis of novel derivatives of the dopamine uptake inhibitors GBR 12909 and GBR 12935. High-affinity dopaminergic ligands for conjugation with highly fluorescent cadmium selenide/zinc sulfide core/shell nanocrystals,” Tetrahedron, vol. 59, no. 40, pp. 8035–8047, 2003.
- I. D. Tomlinson, J. N. Mason, R. D. Blakely, and S. J. Rosenthal, “Inhibitors of the serotonin transporter protein (SERT): the design and synthesis of biotinylated derivatives of 3-(1,2,3,6-tetrahydro-pyridin-4-yl)-1H- indoles. High-affinity serotonergic ligands for conjugation with quantum dots,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 15, no. 23, pp. 5307–5310, 2005.
- I. D. Tomlinson, J. N. Mason, R. D. Blakely, and S. J. Rosenthal, “High affinity inhibitors of the dopamine transporter (DAT): novel biotinylated ligands for conjugation to quantum dots,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 16, no. 17, pp. 4664–4667, 2006.
- J. N. Mason, I. D. Tomlinson, S. J. Rosenthal, and R. D. Blakely, “Labeling cell-surface proteins via antibody quantum dot streptavidin conjugates,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 303, pp. 35–50, 2005.
- I. D. Tomlinson, T. Kippeny, L. Swafford, N. H. Siddiqui, and S. J. Rosenthal, “Novel polyethylene glycol derivatives of melatonin and serotonin. Ligands for conjugation to fluorescent cadmium selenide/zinc sulfide core shell nanocrystals,” Journal of Chemical Research, vol. 2002, no. 5, pp. 203–204, 2002.
- A. Wolcott, D. Gerion, M. Visconte et al., “Silica-coated CdTe quantum dots functionalized with thiols for bioconjugation to IgG proteins,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 11, pp. 5779–5789, 2006.
- E. R. Goldman, G. P. Anderson, P. T. Tran, H. Mattoussi, P. T. Charles, and J. M. Mauro, “Conjugation of luminescent quantum dots with antibodies using an engineered adaptor protein to provide new reagents for fluoroimmunoassays,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 841–847, 2002.
- H. A. Gussin, I. D. Tomlinson, D. M. Little et al., “Binding of muscimol-conjugated quantum dots to receptors,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 49, pp. 15701–15713, 2006.
- M. Frey and V. Jäger, “Synthesis of -substituted muscimol derivatives including -glycylmuscimol,” Synthesis, vol. 1985, no. 12, pp. 1100–1104, 1985.
- H. Qian, J. E. Dowling, and H. Ripps, “Molecular and pharmacological properties of GABA- subunits from white perch retina,” Journal of Neurobiology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 305–320, 1998.
- T. Q. Vu, S. Chowdhury, N. J. Muni, H. Qian, R. F. Standaert, and D. R. Pepperberg, “Activation of membrane receptors by a neurotransmitter conjugate designed for surface attachment,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 14, pp. 1895–1903, 2005.
Copyright © 2007 Ian D. Tomlinson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.