Biomedical Applications of Colloidal NanocrystalsView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Mi Kyong Yoo, In Yong Kim, Eun Mi Kim, Hwan-Jeong Jeong, Chang-Moon Lee, Yong Yeon Jeong, Toshihiro Akaike, Chong Su Cho, "Superparamagnetic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Coated with Galactose-Carrying Polymer for Hepatocyte Targeting", BioMed Research International, vol. 2007, Article ID 094740, 9 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/94740
Superparamagnetic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Coated with Galactose-Carrying Polymer for Hepatocyte Targeting
Our goal is to develop the functionalized superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (SPIONs) demonstrating the capacities to be delivered in liver specifically and to be dispersed in physiological environment stably. For this purpose, SPIONs were coated with polyvinylbenzyl-O--D-galactopyranosyl-D-gluconamide (PVLA) having galactose moieties to be recognized by asialoglycoprotein receptors (ASGP-R) on hepatocytes. For use as a control, we also prepared SPIONs coordinated with 2-pyrrolidone. The sizes, size distribution, structure, and coating of the nanoparticles were characterized by transmission electron microscopy (TEM), electrophoretic light scattering spectrophotometer (ELS), X-ray diffractometer (XRD), and Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR), respectively. Intracellular uptake of the PVLA-coated SPIONs was visualized by confocal laser scanning microscopy, and their hepatocyte-specific delivery was also investigated through magnetic resonance (MR) images of rat liver. MRI experimental results indicated that the PVLA-coated SPIONs possess the more specific accumulation property in liver compared with control, which suggests their potential utility as liver-targeting MRI contrast agent.
- A. K. Gupta and M. Gupta, “Synthesis and surface engineering of iron oxide nanoparticles for biomedical applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 3995–4021, 2005.
- R. Weissleder, A. Bogdanov, E. A. Neuwelt, and M. Papisov, “Long circulating iron oxides for MR imaging,” Advanced Drug Delivery Review, vol. 16, no. 2-3, pp. 321–334, 1995.
- L. Babes, B. Denizot, G. Tanguy, J. J. Le Jeune, and P. Jallet, “Synthesis of iron oxide nanoparticles used as MRI contrast agents: a parametric study,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 212, no. 2, pp. 474–482, 1999.
- C. Chouly, D. Pouliquen, I. Lucet, J. J. Jeune, and P. Jallet, “Development of superparamagnetic nanoparticles for MRI: effect of particle size, charge and surface nature on biodistribution,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 245–255, 1996.
- Y.-X. J. Wang, S. M. Hussain, and G. P. Krestin, “Superparamagnetic iron oxide contrast agents: physicochemical characteristics and applications in MR imaging,” European Radiology, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 2319–2331, 2001.
- C.-L. Lin, C.-F. Lee, and W.-Y. Chiu, “Preparation and properties of poly(acrylic acid) oligomer stabilized superparamagnetic ferrofluid,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 291, no. 2, pp. 411–420, 2005.
- Y. Zhang, N. Kohler, and M. Zhang, “Surface modification of superparamagnetic magnetite nanoparticles and their intracellular uptake,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1553–1561, 2002.
- A. Petri-Fink, M. Chastellain, L. Juillerat-Jeanneret, A. Ferrari, and H. Hofmann, “Development of functionalized superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for interaction with human cancer cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 2685–2694, 2005.
- A. J. M. D'Souza, R. L. Schowen, and E. M. Topp, “Polyvinylpyrrolidone-drug conjugate: synthesis and release mechanism,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 91–100, 2004.
- C. C. Berry, S. Wells, S. Charles, G. Aitchison, and A. S. G. Curtis, “Cell response to dextran-derivatised iron oxide nanoparticles post internalisation,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 23, pp. 5405–5413, 2004.
- Y.-C. Chang and D.-H. Chen, “Preparation and adsorption properties of monodisperse chitosan-bound magnetic nanoparticles for removal of Cu(II) ions,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. 446–451, 2005.
- A. K. Gupta and M. Gupta, “Cytotoxicity suppression and cellular uptake enhancement of surface modified magnetic nanoparticles,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 13, pp. 1565–1573, 2005.
- I. Raynal, P. Prigent, S. Peyramaure, A. Najid, C. Rebuzzi, and C. Corot, “Macrophage endocytosis of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles: mechanisms and comparison of ferumoxides and ferumoxtran-10,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 2004.
- M. Kumagai, Y. Imai, T. Nakamura et al., “Iron hydroxide nanoparticles coated with poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(aspartic acid) block copolymer as novel magnetic resonance contrast agents for in vivo cancer imaging,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 174–181, 2007.
- H. Choi, S. R. Choi, R. Zhou, H. F. Kung, and I.-W. Chen, “Iron oxide nanoparticles as magnetic resonance contrast agent for tumor imaging via folate receptor-targeted delivery,” Academic Radiology, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 996–1004, 2004.
- A. Moore, J. P. Basilion, E. A. Chiocca, and R. Weissleder, “Measuring transferrin receptor gene expression by NMR imaging,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1402, no. 3, pp. 239–249, 1998.
- R. T. Lee, R. W. Myers, and Y. C. Lee, “Further studies on the binding characteristics of rabbit liver galactose/N-acetylgalactosamine-specific lectin,” Biochemistry, vol. 21, no. 24, pp. 6292–6298, 1982.
- S.-J. Seo, H.-S. Moon, D.-D. Guo, S.-H. Kim, T. Akaike, and C. S. Cho, “Receptor-mediated delivery of all-trans-retinoic acid (ATRA) to hepatocytes from ATRA-loaded poly(N-P-vinylbenzyl-4--D-galactopyranosyl-D-gluconamide) nanoparticles,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 136–141, 2006.
- C. S. Cho, S. J. Seo, I. K. Park et al., “Galactose-carrying polymers as extracellular matrices for liver tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 576–585, 2006.
- R. L. Hudgin, W. E. Pricer Jr., G. Ashwell, R. J. Stockert, and A. G. Morell, “The isolation and properties of a rabbit liver binding protein specific for asialoglycoproteins,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 249, no. 17, pp. 5536–5543, 1974.
- S. Hirose, H. Ise, M. Uchiyama, C. S. Cho, and T. Akaike, “Regulation of asialoglycoprotein receptor expression in the proliferative state of hepatocytes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 287, no. 3, pp. 675–681, 2001.
- A. Maruyama, T. Ishihara, N. Adachi, and T. Akaike, “Preparation of nanoparticles bearing high density carbohydrate chains using carbohydrate-carrying polymers as emulsifier,” Biomaterials, vol. 15, no. 13, pp. 1035–1042, 1994.
- K. Kobayashi, H. Sumitomo, and Y. Ina, “Synthesis and functions of polystyrene derivatives having pendent oligo sacharides,” Polymer Journal, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 567–575, 1985.
- G. A. Van Ewijk, G. J. Vroege, and A. P. Philipse, “Convenient preparation methods for magnetic colloids,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 201, no. 1–3, pp. 31–33, 1999.
- M. Chastellain, A. Petri, and H. Hofmann, “Particle size investigations of a multistep synthesis of PVA coated superparamagnetic nanoparticles,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 278, no. 2, pp. 353–360, 2004.
- X. Hong, W. Guo, H. Yuan et al., “Periodate oxidation of nanoscaled magnetic dextran composites,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 269, no. 1, pp. 95–100, 2004.
- Z. Li, H. Chen, H. Bao, and M. Gao, “One-pot reaction to synthesize water-soluble magnetic nanocrystals,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1391–1393, 2004.
- P. O. Seglen, “Preparation of isolated rat liver cell,” Methods in Cell Biololy, vol. 13, pp. 29–83, 1976.
- M. Aubele, H. Zitzelsberger, S. Szücs et al., “Comparative FISH analysis of numerical chromosome 7 abnormalities in 5-m and 15-m paraffin-embedded tissue sections from prostatic carcinoma,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 121–126, 1997.
- C. S. Cho, A. Kobayashi, R. Takei, T. Ishihara, A. Maruyama, and T. Akaike, “Receptor-mediated cell modulator delivery to hepatocyte using nanoparticles coated with carbohydrate-carrying polymers,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2001.
- C. Cannas, D. Gatteschi, A. Musinu, G. Piccaluga, and C. Sangregorio, “Structural and magnetic properties of nanoparticles dispersed over a silica matrix,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 102, no. 40, pp. 7721–7726, 1998.
- D. H. Napper, Polymeric Stabilisation of Colloidal Dispersions, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- L. T. Lee and P. Somasundaran, “Adsorption of polyacrylamide on oxide minerals,” Langmuir, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 854–860, 1989.
- M. Yamaura, R. L. Camilo, L. C. Sampaio, M. A. Macêdo, M. Nakamura, and H. E. Toma, “Preparation and characterization of (3-aminopropyl)triethoxysilane-coated magnetite nanoparticles,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 279, no. 2-3, pp. 210–217, 2004.
- C. V. Luyen and D. M. Huong, “Chitin and derivatives,” in Polymeric Materials Encyclopedia, J. C. Salomone, Ed., vol. 2, pp. 1208–1217, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1996.
- P. Galgali, M. Agashe, and A. J. Varma, “Sugar-linked biodegradable polymers: regio-specific ester bonds of glucose hydroxyls in their reaction with maleic anhydride functionalized polystyrene and elucidation of the polymer structures formed,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 576–585, 2007.
- Y.-C. Chang, S.-W. Chang, and D.-H. Chen, “Magnetic chitosan nanoparticles: studies on chitosan binding and adsorption of Co(II) ions,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 335–341, 2006.
- T. H. Hyeon, S. S. Lee, J. N. Park, Y. H. Chung, and H. B. Na, “Synthesis of highly crystalline and monodisperse maghemite nanocrystallites without a size-selection process,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 51, pp. 12798–12801, 2001.
- J. P. Jolivet and E. Tronc, “Interfacial electron transfer in colloidal spinel iron oxide. Conversion of in aqueous medium,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 688–701, 1988.
- K. M. Kamruzzaman Selim, Y.-S. Ha, S.-J. Kim et al., “Surface modification of magnetite nanoparticles using lactobionic acid and their interaction with hepatocytes,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 710–716, 2007.
- U. Kettritz, J. F. Schlund, K. Wilbur, L. B. Eisenberg, and R. C. Semelka, “Comparison of gadolinium with manganese-DPDP of liver lesion detection and characterization: preliminary results,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1185–1190, 1996.
Copyright © 2007 Mi Kyong Yoo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.