- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 752698, 13 pages
An Experimental Approach for the Identification of Conserved Secreted Proteins in Trypanosomatids
1Département Sociétés et Santé, UR016 Caractérisation et contrôle des populations de vecteurs, Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, 911 Avenue Agropolis, 34394 Montpellier, France
2Département Sociétés et Santé, UR016 Caractérisation et contrôle des populations de vecteurs, Représentation en Bolivie, Avenue Hernando Siles 5290, Esq Calle 7, Obrajes CP 9214, La Paz, Bolivia
Received 1 August 2009; Accepted 14 October 2009
Academic Editor: Jorge Morales-Montor
Copyright © 2010 Rosa M. Corrales et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Stuart, R. Brun, S. Croft, et al., “Kinetoplastids: related protozoan pathogens, different diseases,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 1301–1310, 2008.
- N. Santarem, R. Silvestre, J. Tavares, et al., “Immune response regulation by Leishmania secreted and nonsecreted antigens,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2007, Article ID 85154, 6 pages, 2007.
- B. S. McGwire, W. A. O'Connell, K.-P. Chang, and D. M. Engman, “Extracellular release of the glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI)-linked Leishmania surface metalloprotease, gp63, is independent of GPI phospholipolysis. Implications for parasite virulence,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 11, pp. 8802–8809, 2002.
- B. A. Burleigh and A. M. Woolsey, “Cell signalling and Trypanosoma cruzi invasion,” Cellular Microbiology, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 701–711, 2002.
- M. J. McConville, K. A. Mullin, S. C. Ilgoutz, and R. D. Teasdale, “Secretory pathway of trypanosomatid parasites,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 122–154, 2002.
- J.-L. Lemesre, P. Holzmuller, R. B. Goncalves, et al., “Long-lasting protection against canine visceral leishmaniasis using the -MDP vaccine in endemic areas of France: double-blind randomised efficacy field trial,” Vaccine, vol. 25, no. 21, pp. 4223–4234, 2007.
- W. K. Tonui, J. S. Mejia, L. Hochberg, et al., “Immunization with Leishmania major exogenous antigens protects susceptible BALB/c mice against challenge infection with L. major,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 5654–5661, 2004.
- M. A. Horwitz, G. Harth, B. J. Dillon, and S. Maslesa-Galic, “Enhancing the protective efficacy of Mycobacterium bovis BCG vaccination against tuberculosis by boosting with the Mycobacterium tuberculosis major secretory protein,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 4676–4683, 2005.
- O. Emanuelsson, S. Brunak, G. von Heijne, and H. Nielsen, “Locating proteins in the cell using TargetP, SignalP and related tools,” Nature Protocols, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 953–971, 2007.
- E. Garzon, M. C. Borges, A. Cordeiro-da-Silva, et al., “Trypanosoma cruzi carrying a targeted deletion of a Tc52 protein-encoding allele elicits attenuated Chagas' disease in mice,” Immunology Letters, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 67–80, 2003.
- E. P. Camargo, “Growth and differentiation in Trypanosoma cruzi. I. Origin of metacyclic trypanosomes in liquid media,” Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo, vol. 12, pp. 93–100, 1964.
- F. Mathieu-Daude, M.-F. Bosseno, E. Garzon, et al., “Sequence diversity and differential expression of Tc52 immuno-regulatory protein in Trypanosoma cruzi: potential implications in the biological variability of strains,” Parasitology Research, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 1355–1363, 2007.
- R. Brun and M. Schonenberger, “Cultivation and in vitro cloning of procyclic culture forms of Trypanosoma brucei in a semi-defined medium. Short communication,” Acta Tropica, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 289–292, 1979.
- J. M. Kelly, H. M. Ward, M. A. Miles, and G. Kendall, “A shuttle vector which facilitates the expression of transfected genes in Trypanosoma cruzi and Leishmania,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 20, no. 15, pp. 3963–3969, 1992.
- D. Sereno, G. Roy, J. Loup Lemesre, B. Papadopoulou, and M. Ouellette, “DNA transformation of Leishmania infantum axenic amastigotes and their use in drug screening,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 1168–1173, 2001.
- B. Vergnes, D. Sereno, N. Madjidian-Sereno, J.-L. Lemesre, and A. Ouaissi, “Cytoplasmic SIR2 homologue overexpression promotes survival of Leishmania parasites by preventing programmed cell death,” Gene, vol. 296, no. 1-2, pp. 139–150, 2002.
- A. El Fadili, C. Kundig, and M. Ouellette, “Characterization of the folylpolyglutamate synthetase gene and polyglutamylation of folates in the protozoan parasite Leishmania,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 124, no. 1-2, pp. 63–71, 2002.
- A. Kuzniar, R. C. H. J. van Ham, S. Pongor, and J. A. M. Leunissen, “The quest for orthologs: finding the corresponding gene across genomes,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 539–551, 2008.
- J. M. Silverman, S. K. Chan, D. P. Robinson, et al., “Proteomic analysis of the secretome of Leishmania donovani,” Genome Biology, vol. 9, no. 2, article R35, 2008.
- A. Walz, C. V. Mujer, J. P. Connolly, et al., “Bacillus anthracis secretome time course under host-simulated conditions and identification of immunogenic proteins,” Proteome Science, vol. 5, article 11, 2007.
- E. W. Klee and L. B. M. Ellis, “Evaluating eukaryotic secreted protein prediction,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 6, article 256, 2005.
- P. Cibrelus, E. Precigout, D. Sereno, B. Carcy, J. L. Lemesre, and A. Gorenflot, “Secreted antigens of the amastigote and promastigote forms of Leishmania infantum inducing a humoral response in humans and dogs,” Parasite, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 121–129, 1999.
- M. Chenik, S. Lakhal, N. Ben Khalef, L. Zribi, H. Louzir, and K. Dellagi, “Approaches for the identification of potential excreted/secreted proteins of Leishmania major parasites,” Parasitology, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 493–509, 2006.
- H. Zangger, J. C. Mottram, and N. Fasel, “Cell death in Leishmania induced by stress and differentiation: programmed cell death or necrosis?” Cell Death & Differentiation, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1126–1139, 2002.
- C. Thery, M. Boussac, P. Veron, et al., “Proteomic analysis of dendritic cell-derived exosomes: a secreted subcellular compartment distinct from apoptotic vesicles,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 166, no. 12, pp. 7309–7318, 2001.
- P. Cuervo, J. B. De Jesus, L. Saboia-Vahia, L. Mendonça-Lima, G. B. Domont, and E. Cupolillo, “Proteomic characterization of the released/secreted proteins of Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis promastigotes,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 79–92, 2009.
- M. B. Joshi, M. E. Rogers, A. M. Shakarian, et al., “Molecular characterization, expression, and in vivo analysis of LmexCht1: the chitinase of the human pathogen, Leishmania mexicana,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 5, pp. 3847–3861, 2005.
- N. Fankhauser and P. Maser, “Identification of GPI anchor attachment signals by a Kohonen self-organizing map,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1846–1852, 2005.
- L. Lecordier, C. Mercier, L. D. Sibley, and M.-F. Cesbron-Delauwz, “Transmembrane insertion of the Toxoplasma gondii GRA5 protein occurs after soluble secretion into the host cell,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1277–1287, 1999.
- V. Karsten, R. S. Hegde, A. P. Sinai, M. Yang, and K. A. Joiner, “Transmembrane domain modulates sorting of membrane proteins in Toxoplasma gondii,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 25, pp. 26052–26057, 2004.
- J. Grzyb, D. Latowski, and K. Strzalka, “Lipocalins—a family portrait,” Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 163, no. 9, pp. 895–915, 2006.
- D. R. Flower, A. C. T. North, and C. E. Sansom, “The lipocalin protein family: structural and sequence overview,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1482, no. 1-2, pp. 9–24, 2000.
- T. A. Baldwin, M. Gogela-Spehar, and H. L. Ostergaard, “Specific isoforms of the resident endoplasmic reticulum protein glucosidase II associate with the CD45 protein-tyrosine phosphatase via a lectin-like interaction,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 41, pp. 32071–32076, 2000.
- Y. M. Li, T. Mitsuhashi, D. Wojciechowicz, et al., “Molecular identity and cellular distribution of advanced glycation endproduct receptors: relationship of p60 to OST-48 and p90 to 80K-H membrane proteins,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 20, pp. 11047–11052, 1996.