- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 235354, 8 pages
Gait Disturbances in Dystrophic Hamsters
1Mouse Specifics, Inc., Boston, MA 02109, USA
2Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
3Bio Breeders, Inc., Watertown, MA 02472, USA
Received 6 October 2010; Accepted 8 November 2010
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 Thomas G. Hampton et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Khodadadeh, M. R. McClelland, and J. H. Patrick, “Variations of gait parameters in Duchenne muscular dystrophy,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H, vol. 204, no. 4, pp. 241–243, 1990.
- N. Gaudreault, D. Gravel, S. Nadeau, S. Houde, and D. Gagnon, “Gait patterns comparison of children with Duchenne muscular dystrophy to those of control subjects considering the effect of gait velocity,” Gait and Posture, vol. 32, no. 3, p. 342, 2010.
- S. Sienko Thomas, C. E. Buckon, A. Nicorici, A. Bagley, C. M. McDonald, and M. D. Sussman, “Classification of the gait patterns of boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and their relationship to function,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1103–1109, 2010.
- K. E. Wells and D. J. Wells, “What do animal models have to tell us regarding Duchenne muscular dystrophy?” Acta Myologica, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 172–180, 2005.
- S. Goudenege, Y. Lamarre, N. Dumont et al., “Laminin-111: a potential therapeutic agent for Duchenne muscular dystrophy,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 2155–2163, 2010.
- G. L. Odom, P. Gregorevic, J. M. Allen, E. Finn, and J. S. Chamberlain, “Microutrophin delivery through rAAV6 increases lifespan and improves muscle function in dystrophic dystrophin/Utrophin-deficient mice,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1539–1545, 2008.
- C. Vitiello, S. Faraso, N. C. Sorrentino et al., “Disease rescue and increased lifespan in a model of cardiomyopathy and muscular dystrophy by combined AAV treatments,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 3, Article ID e5051, 2009.
- N. P. Whitehead, M. Streamer, L. I. Lusambili, F. Sachs, and D. G. Allen, “Streptomycin reduces stretch-induced membrane permeability in muscles from mdx mice,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 845–854, 2006.
- K. Nagaraju and R. Willmann, “Developing standard procedures for murine and canine efficacy studies of DMD therapeutics: report of two expert workshops on “Pre-clinical testing for Duchenne dystrophy”: Washington DC, October 27th-28th 2007 and Zürich, June 30th-July 1st 2008,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 502–506, 2009.
- A. P. Marsh, J. D. Eggebeen, J. N. Kornegay, C. D. Markert, and M. K. Childers, “Kinematics of gait in Golden Retriever Muscular Dystrophy,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 16–20, 2010.
- T. G. Hampton and I. Amende, “Treadmill gait analysis characterizes gait alterations in parkinson's disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis mouse models,” Journal of Motor Behavior, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2009.
- Y.-F. Xu, T. F. Gendron, Y.-J. Zhang et al., “Wild-type human TDP-43 expression causes TDP-43 phosphorylation, mitochondrial aggregation, motor deficits, and early mortality in transgenic mice,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 30, no. 32, pp. 10851–10859, 2010.
- J. E. Springer, R. R. Rao, H. R. Lim et al., “The functional and neuroprotective actions of Neu2000, a dual-acting pharmacological agent, in the treatment of acute spinal cord injury,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 139–149, 2010.
- W. C. Huang, W. C. Kuo, S. H. Hsu, C. H. Cheng, J. C. Liu, and H. Cheng, “Gait analysis of spinal cord injured rats after delivery of chondroitinase ABC and adult olfactory mucosa progenitor cell transplantation,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 472, no. 2, pp. 79–84, 2010.
- S. Tashman, W. Anderst, P. Kolowich, S. Havstad, and S. Arnoczky, “Kinematics of the ACL-deficient canine knee during gait: serial changes over two years,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 931–941, 2004.
- T. Zhu, L. Zhou, S. Mori et al., “Sustained whole-body functional rescue in congestive heart failure and muscular dystrophy hamsters by systemic gene transfer,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 17, pp. 2650–2659, 2005.
- V. Straub, F. Duclos, D. P. Venzke et al., “Molecular pathogenesis of muscle degeneration in the δ-sarcoglycan- deficient hamster,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 153, no. 5, pp. 1623–1630, 1998.
- Y. Mizuno, S. Noguchi, H. Yamamoto et al., “Sarcoglycan complex is selectively lost in dystrophic hamster muscle,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 530–536, 1995.
- Y. Kato, M. Iwase, K. Takagi et al., “Differential myolysis of myocardium and skeletal muscle in hamsters with dilated cardiomyopathy—beneficial protective effect of diltiazem,” Circulation Journal, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 1497–1502, 2006.
- X. Xiao, J. Li, Y. P. Tsao, D. Dressman, E. P. Hoffman, and J. F. Watchko, “Full functional rescue of a complete muscle (TA) in dystrophic hamsters by adeno-associated virus vector-directed gene therapy,” Journal of Virology, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 1436–1442, 2000.
- T. G. Hampton, M. R. Stasko, A. Kale, I. Amende, and A. C. S. Costa, “Gait dynamics in trisomic mice: quantitative neurological traits of Down syndrome,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 82, no. 2-3, pp. 381–389, 2004.
- A. Kale, I. Amende, G. P. Meyer, J. C. Crabbe, and T. G. Hampton, “Ethanol's effects on gait dynamics in mice investigated by ventral plane videography,” Alcoholism, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1839–1848, 2004.
- F. P. T. Hamers, A. J. Lankhorst, T. J. Van Laar, W. B. Veldhuis, and W. H. Gispen, “Automated quantitative gait analysis during overground locomotion in the rat: its application to spinal cord contusion and transection injuries,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 187–201, 2001.
- V. Brussee, F. Tardif, and J. P. Tremblay, “Muscle fibers of mdx mice are more vulnerable to exercise than those of normal mice,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 487–492, 1997.
- L. E. Lim and K. P. Campbell, “The sarcoglycan complex in limb-girdle muscular dystrophy,” Current Opinion in Neurology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 443–452, 1998.
- A. Y. Belanger and A. J. McComas, “Neuromuscular function in limb girdle dystrophy,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 1253–1258, 1985.
- G. P. Hosking, U. S. Bhat, V. Dubowitz, and R. H. T. Edwards, “Measurements of muscle strength and performance in children with normal and diseased muscle,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 957–963, 1976.
- G. P. Hosking, A. Young, V. Dubowitz, and R. H. T. Edwards, “Tests of skeletal muscle function in children,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 224–229, 1978.
- V. Nigro, E. De Sá Moreira, G. Piluso et al., “Autosomal recessive limb-girdle muscular dystrophy, LGMD2F, is caused by a mutation in the δ-sarcoglycan gene,” Nature Genetics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 195–198, 1996.
- F. Homburger, “Myopathy of hamster dystrophy: history and morphologic aspects,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 317, pp. 1–17, 1979.
- J. Li, D. Dressman, Y. P. Tsao, A. Sakamoto, E. P. Hoffman, and X. Xiao, “rAAV vector-mediated sarcogylcan gene transfer in a hamster model for limb girdle muscular dystrophy,” Gene Therapy, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 74–82, 1999.
- J. F. Watchko, T. L. O'Day, and E. P. Hoffman, “Functional characteristics of dystrophic skeletal muscle: insights from animal models,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 407–417, 2002.
- S. H. Loring, J. Mead, and T. B. Waggener, “Determinants of breathing frequency during walking,” Respiration Physiology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 177–188, 1990.
- K. H. Holt, L. E. Lim, V. Straub et al., “Functional rescue of the sarcoglycan complex in the BIO 14.6 hamster using δ-sarcoglycan gene transfer,” Molecular Cell, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 841–848, 1998.
- P. Carlson-Kuhta, T. V. Trank, and J. L. Smith, “Forms of forward quadrupedal locomotion. II. A comparison of posture, hindlimb kinematics, and motor patterns for upslope and level walking,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1687–1701, 1998.
- J. L. Smith, P. Carlson-Kuhta, and T. V. Trank, “Forms of forward quadrupedal locomotion. III. A comparison of posture, hindlimb kinematics, and motor patterns for downslope and level walking,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1702–1716, 1998.
- R. H. Tuttle and J. V. Basmajian, “Electromyography of pongid shoulder muscles. III. Quadrupedal positional behavior,” American Journal of Physical Anthropology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 57–70, 1978.
- A. Scott, J. L. Cook, D. A. Hart, D. C. Walker, V. Duronio, and K. M. Khan, “Tenocyte responses to mechanical loading in vivo: a role for local insulin-like growth factor 1 signaling in early tendinosis in rats,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 871–881, 2007.