- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 831092, 7 pages
Muscle Atrophy and Motor Neuron Degeneration in Human NEDL1 Transgenic Mice
1Division of Biochemistry and Innovative Cancer Therapeutics, Chiba Cancer Center Research Institute, 666-2 Nitona, Chuoh-Ku, Chiba 260-8717, Japan
2Center for Functional Genomics, Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc., Chiba 260-8717, Japan
3Division of Clinical Neuroscience, Chiba University Center for Forensic Mental Health, 1-8-1 Inohana, Chiba 260-8670, Japan
Received 18 June 2010; Accepted 25 August 2010
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 Lin Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Boillée, C. Vande Velde, and D. Cleveland, “ALS: a disease of motor neurons and their nonneuronal neighbors,” Neuron, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 39–59, 2006.
- P. Pasinelli and R. H. Brown, “Molecular biology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: insights from genetics,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 710–723, 2006.
- C. Z. He and A. P. Hays, “Expression of peripherin in ubiquinated inclusions of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 217, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2004.
- T. Kawashima, H. Kikuchi, M. Takita et al., “Skein-like inclusions in the neostriatum from a case of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with dementia,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 541–545, 1998.
- L. H. Barbeito, M. Pehar, P. Cassina et al., “A role for astrocytes in motor neuron loss in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 47, no. 1–3, pp. 263–274, 2004.
- S. Boillée and D. W. Cleveland, “Revisiting oxidative damage in ALS: microglia, Nox, and mutant SOD1,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 474–478, 2008.
- S. Murayama, Y. Ookawa, H. Mori et al., “Immunocytochemical and ultrastructural study of Lewy body-like hyaline inclusions in familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 143–152, 1989.
- N. Shibata, A. Hirano, M. Kobayashi et al., “Intense superoxide dismutase-1 immunoreactivity in intracytoplasmic hyaline inclusions of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with posterior column involvement,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 481–490, 1996.
- J.-I. Niwa, S. Ishigaki, N. Hishikawa et al., “Dorfin ubiquitylates mutant SOD1 and prevents mutant SOD1-mediated neurotoxicity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 39, pp. 36793–36798, 2002.
- K. Miyazaki, T. Fujita, T. Ozaki et al., “NEDL1, a novel ubiquitin-protein isopeptide ligase for dishevelled-1, targets mutant superoxide dismutase-1,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 12, pp. 11327–11335, 2004.
- H. Niwa, K. Yamamura, and J. Miyazaki, “Efficient selection for high-expression transfectants with a novel eukaryotic vector,” Gene, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 193–200, 1991.
- B. B. R. Hogan, F. Constantini, and E. Lacy, Manupulating the Mouse Embryo: A Laboratory Mannual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 1994.
- L. Zhang, K. Kitaichi, Y. Fujimoto et al., “Protective effects of minocycline on behavioral changes and neurotoxicity in mice after administration of methamphetamine,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1381–1393, 2006.
- L. Zhang, Y. Shirayama, E. Shimizu, M. Iyo, and K. Hashimoto, “Protective effects of minocycline on 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity in serotonergic and dopaminergic neurons of mouse brain,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 544, no. 1–3, pp. 1–9, 2006.
- M. D. Kaytor and S. T. Warren, “Aberrant protein deposition and neurological disease,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 53, pp. 37507–37510, 1999.
- M. Y. Sherman and A. L. Goldberg, “Cellular defenses against unfolded proteins: a cell biologist thinks about neurodegenerative diseases,” Neuron, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 15–32, 2001.
- S. Goto, R. Takahashi, A. Kumiyama et al., “Implications of protein degradation in aging,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 928, pp. 54–64, 2001.
- M. Urushitani, J. Kurisu, K. Tsukita, and R. Takahashi, “Proteasomal inhibition by misfolded mutant superoxide dismutase 1 induces selective motor neuron death in familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 1030–1042, 2002.
- M. D. Gomes, S. H. Lecker, R. T. Jagoe, A. Navon, and A. L. Goldberg, “Atrogin-1, a muscle-specific F-box protein highly expressed during muscle atrophy,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 25, pp. 14440–14445, 2001.
- S. Boillée, K. Yamanaka, C. S. Lobsiger et al., “Onset and progression in inherited ALS determined by motor neurons and microglia,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5778, pp. 1389–1392, 2006.
- A. Vercelli, O. M. Mereuta, D. Garbossa et al., “Human mesenchymal stem cell transplantation extends survival, improves motor performance and decreases neuroinflammation in mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 395–405, 2008.
- S. H. Appel, D. R. Beers, and J. S. Henkel, “T cell-microglial dialogue in Parkinson's disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: are we listening?” Trends in Immunology, vol. 31, pp. 7–17, 2010.
- D. J. Graber, W. F. Hickey, and B. T. Harris, “Progressive changes in microglia and macrophages in spinal cord and peripheral nerve in the transgenic rat model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 7, article 8, 2010.
- J. Kriz, M. D. Nguyen, and J.-P. Julien, “Minocycline slows disease progression in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 268–278, 2002.
- L. Van Den Bosch, P. Tilkin, G. Lemmens, and W. Robberecht, “Minocycline delays disease onset and mortality in a transgenic model of ALS,” NeuroReport, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1067–1070, 2002.
- E. G. McGeer and P. L. McGeer, “Pharmacologic approaches to the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” BioDrugs, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2005.
- M. Benatar, “Lost in translation: treatment trials in the SOD1 mouse and in human ALS,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2007.