- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 165296, 7 pages
Transfer of Bone-Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Influences Vascular Remodeling and Calcification after Balloon Injury in Hyperlipidemic Rats
1Shanghai Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
2Department of Cardiology, The Third Affiliated Hospital, Inner Mongolia Medical College, BaoTou, Inner Mongolia 014010, China
Received 19 December 2011; Revised 27 February 2012; Accepted 29 February 2012
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2012 Jianquan Liao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. C. Quevedo, K. E. Hatzistergos, B. N. Oskouei et al., “Allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells restore cardiac function in chronic ischemic cardiomyopathy via trilineage differentiating capacity,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 33, pp. 14022–14027, 2009.
- E. A. Jones, S. E. Kinsey, A. English et al., “Isolation and characterization of bone marrow multipotential mesenchymal progenitor cells,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 3349–3360, 2002.
- A. R. Williams and J. M. Hare, “Mesenchymal stem cells: biology, pathophysiology, translational findings, and therapeutic implications for cardiac disease,” Circulation Research, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 923–940, 2011.
- J. O. Jeong, J. W. Han, J. M. Kim et al., “Malignant tumor formation after transplantation of short-term cultured bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in experimental myocardial infarction and diabetic neuropathy,” Circulation Research, vol. 108, no. 11, pp. 1340–1347, 2011.
- C. S. Kuo, K. Munakata, C. P. Reddy, and B. Surawicz, “Characteristics and possible mechanism of ventricular arrhythmia dependent on the dispersion of action potential durations,” Circulation, vol. 67, no. 6 I, pp. 1356–1367, 1983.
- Y. S. Yoon, J. S. Park, T. Tkebuchava, C. Luedeman, and D. W. Losordo, “Unexpected severe calcification after transplantation of bone marrow cells in acute myocardial infarction.,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 25, pp. 3154–3157, 2004.
- J. George, A. Afek, A. Abashidze et al., “Transfer of endothelial progenitor and bone marrow cells influences atherosclerotic plaque size and composition in apolipoprotein E knockout mice,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2636–2641, 2005.
- A. Saiura, M. Sata, Y. Hirata, R. Nagai, and M. Makuuchi, “Circulating smooth muscle progenitor cells contribute to atherosclerosis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 382–383, 2001.
- M. Sata, A. Saiura, A. Kunisato et al., “Hematopoietic stem cells differentiate into vascular cells that participate in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 403–409, 2002.
- L. Lin, H. Gong, J. Ge et al., “High density lipoprotein downregulates angiotensin II type 1 receptor and inhibits angiotensin II-induced cardiac hypertrophy,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 404, no. 1, pp. 28–33, 2011.
- C. Brasselet, E. Durand, F. Addad et al., “Collagen and elastin cross-linking: a mechanism of constrictive remodeling after arterial injury,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 289, no. 5, pp. H2228–H2233, 2005.
- G. P. Fadini, M. Albiero, L. Menegazzo et al., “Widespread increase in myeloid calcifying cells contributes to ectopic vascular calcification in type 2 diabetes,” Circulation Research, vol. 108, no. 9, pp. 1112–1121, 2011.
- K. A. Hruska, S. Mathew, and G. Saab, “Bone morphogenetic proteins in vascular calcification,” Circulation Research, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 105–114, 2005.
- R. C. Johnson, J. A. Leopold, and J. Loscalzo, “Vascular calcification: pathobiological mechanisms and clinical implications,” Circulation Research, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 1044–1059, 2006.
- M. Ketteler, G. Schlieper, and J. Floege, “Calcification and cardiovascular health: new insights into an old phenomenon,” Hypertension, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1027–1034, 2006.
- Y. Nakagawa, K. Ikeda, Y. Akakabe et al., “Paracrine osteogenic signals via bone morphogenetic protein-2 accelerate the atherosclerotic intimal calcification in vivo,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1908–1915, 2010.
- X. Li, H. Y. Yang, and C. M. Giachelli, “BMP-2 promotes phosphate uptake, phenotypic modulation, and calcification of human vascular smooth muscle cells,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 199, no. 2, pp. 271–277, 2008.