- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 308414, 5 pages
Is BAC Transgenesis Obsolete? State of the Art in the Era of Designer Nucleases
1Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, Technische Universität München, Trogerstraße 30,
81679 Munich, Germany
2Institute of Animal Laboratory Sciences, VetSuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Winterthurer Straße 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Received 10 April 2012; Accepted 31 May 2012
Academic Editor: Masamitsu Yamaguchi
Copyright © 2012 J. Beil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Shizuya, B. Birren, U. J. Kim et al., “Cloning and stable maintenance of 300-kilobase-pair fragments of human DNA in Escherichia coli using an F-factor-based vector,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 18, pp. 8794–8797, 1992.
- T. Johansson, I. Broll, T. Frenz et al., “Building a zoo of mice for genetic analyses: a comprehensive protocol for the rapid generation of BAC transgenic mice,” Genesis, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 264–280, 2010.
- H. J. Lee, E. Kim, and J. S. Kim, “Targeted chromosomal deletions in human cells using zinc finger nucleases,” Genome Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 81–89, 2010.
- C. Öllü, K. Pars, T. I. Cornu et al., “Autonomous zinc-finger nuclease pairs for targeted chromosomal deletion,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, no. 22, pp. 8269–8276, 2010.
- M. Meyer, M. H. De Angelis, W. Wurst, and R. Kühn, “Gene targeting by homologous recombination in mouse zygotes mediated by zinc-finger nucleases,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 34, pp. 15022–15026, 2010.
- F. Zhang, L. Cong, S. Lodato, S. Kosuri, G. M. Church, and P. Arlotta, “Efficient construction of sequence-specific TAL effectors for modulating mammalian transcription,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 149–154, 2011.
- T. Cermak, E. L. Doyle, M. Christian et al., “Efficient design and assembly of custom TALEN and other TAL effector-based constructs for DNA targeting,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 12, article e82, 2011.
- J. Wu, K. Kandavelou, and S. Chandrasegaran, “Custom-designed zinc finger nucleases: what is next?” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 64, no. 22, pp. 2933–2944, 2007.
- D. J. Segal, J. W. Crotty, M. S. Bhakta, C. F. Barbas 3rd, and N. C. Horton, “Structure of Aart, a designed six-finger zinc finger peptide, bound to DNA,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 363, no. 2, pp. 405–421, 2006.
- M. L. Maeder, S. Thibodeau-Beganny, J. D. Sander, D. F. Voytas, and J. K. Joung, “Oligomerized pool engineering (OPEN): an “open-source” protocol for making customized zinc-finger arrays,” Nature Protocols, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1471–1501, 2009.
- J. D. Sander, E. J. Dahlborg, M. J. Goodwin et al., “Selection-free zinc-finger-nuclease engineering by context-dependent assembly (CoDA),” Nature Methods, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 67–69, 2011.
- J. Boch, H. Scholze, S. Schornack et al., “Breaking the code of DNA binding specificity of TAL-type III effectors,” Science, vol. 326, no. 5959, pp. 1509–1512, 2009.
- J. C. Miller, S. Tan, G. Qiao et al., “A TALE nuclease architecture for efficient genome editing,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 143–148, 2011.
- N. E. Sanjana, L. Cong, Y. Zhou, M. M. Cunniff, G. Feng, and F. Zhang, “A transcription activator-like effector toolbox for genome engineering,” Nature Protocols, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 171–192, 2012.
- J. D. Sander, L. Cade, C. Khayter et al., “Targeted gene disruption in somatic zebrafish cells using engineered TALENs,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 697–698, 2011.
- T. Li, S. Huang, X. Zhao et al., “Modularly assembled designer TAL effector nucleases for targeted gene knockout and gene replacement in eukaryotes,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 14, pp. 6315–6325, 2011.
- D. Reyon, S. Q. Tsai, C. Khgayter, J. A. Foden, J. D. Sander, and J. K. Joung, “FLASH assembly of TALENs for high-throughput genome editing,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 460–465, 2012.
- M. Hermann, M. L. Maeder, K. Rector, et al., “Evaluation of OPEN zinc finger nucleases for direct gene targeting of the ROSA26 locus in mouse embryos,” PLoS ONE. In press.