- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 325659, 8 pages
Evolution of Mosquito-Based Arbovirus Surveillance Systems in Australia
1Public Health Virology, Communicable Diseases Unit, Queensland Health Forensic and Scientific Services, 39 Kessels Rd, Coopers Plains, Queensland 4108, Australia
2Discipline of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Biomedical, Biomolecular and Chemical Sciences, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia 6009, Australia
3School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitative Services, James Cook University, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia
Received 2 November 2011; Accepted 7 December 2011
Academic Editor: Bradley J. Blitvich
Copyright © 2012 Andrew F. van den Hurk et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [17 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Shashi Sharma, Manisha Soni, Ashish K. Thakur, N. Gopalan, M.M. Parida, P.V.L. Rao, Paban K. Dash, Ankita Agarwal, and Anil K. Singh, “Application of Real-Time RT-PCR in vector surveillance and assessment of replication kinetics of an emerging Novel ECSA genotype of Chikungunya virus in Aedes aegypti,” Journal of Virological Methods, 2013.
- Sonja Hall-Mendelin, Richard Allcock, Nina Kresoje, Andrew F. van den Hurk, and David Warrilow, “Detection of Arboviruses and Other Micro-Organisms in Experimentally Infected Mosquitoes Using Massively Parallel Sequencing,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 2, 2013.
- Natalia V. Voge, Irma Sánchez-Vargas, Carol D. Blair, Lars Eisen, and Barry J. Beaty, “Detection of dengue virus NS1 antigen in infected aedes aegypti using a commercially available kit,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 260–266, 2013.
- Scott A. Ritchie, Giles Cortis, Christopher Paton, Michael Townsend, Donald Shroyer, Paul Zborowski, Sonja Hall-Mendelin, and Andrew F. Van Den Hurk, “A simple non-powered passive trap for the collection of mosquitoes for arbovirus surveillance,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 185–194, 2013.
- David P. Tchouassi, Rosemary Sang, Catherine L. Sole, Armanda D. S. Bastos, Peter E. A. Teal, Christian Borgemeister, and Baldwyn Torto, “Common Host-Derived Chemicals Increase Catches of Disease-Transmitting Mosquitoes and Can Improve Early Warning Systems for Rift Valley Fever Virus,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 7, no. 1, 2013.
- James Angus Chandler, Panpim Thongsripong, Amy Green, Pattamaporn Kittayapong, Bruce A. Wilcox, Gary P. Schroth, Durrell D. Kapan, and Shannon N. Bennett, “Metagenomic shotgun sequencing of a Bunyavirus in wild-caught Aedes aegypti from Thailand informs the evolutionary and genomic history of the Phleboviruses,” Virology, vol. 464-465, pp. 312–319, 2014.
- Linda A. Selvey, Cheryl A. Johansen, Annette K. Broom, Catarina Antao, Michael D. Lindsay, John S. Mackenzie, and David W. Smith, “Rainfall and sentinel chicken seroconversions predict human cases of Murray Valley encephalitis in the north of Western Australia,” Bmc Infectious Diseases, vol. 14, 2014.
- Jemma L. Geoghegan, Peter J. Walker, Jean-Bernard Duchemin, Isabelle Jeanne, and Edward C. Holmes, “Seasonal Drivers of the Epidemiology of Arthropod-Borne Viruses in Australia,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 8, no. 11, 2014.
- Linda A. Selvey, Lynne Dailey, Michael Lindsay, Paul Armstrong, Sean Tobin, Ann P. Koehler, Peter G. Markey, and David W. Smith, “The Changing Epidemiology of Murray Valley Encephalitis in Australia: The 2011 Outbreak and a Review of the Literature,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 8, no. 1, 2014.
- Andrew F. van den Hurk, Sonja Hall-Mendelin, Michael Townsend, Nina Kurucz, Jim Edwards, Gerhard Ehlers, Chris Rodwell, Frederick A. Moore, Jamie L. McMahon, Judith A. Northill, Russell J. Simmons, Giles Cortis, Lorna Melville, Peter I. Whelan, and Scott A. Ritchie, “Applications of a Sugar-Based Surveillance System to Track Arboviruses in Wild Mosquito Populations,” Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2014.
- Yuri P. Springer, Jeffrey R. Taylor, and Patrick D. Travers, “ Variation in Baiting Intensity Among CO 2 -Baited Traps Used to Collect Hematophagous Arthropods ,” Journal of Insect Science, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 92, 2015.
- J. C. D. Philippe-Janon, A. F. van den Hurk, D. P. Francis, M. A. Shivas, and C. C. Jansen, “Field Comparison of Cyclopentanone Versus Carbon Dioxide as an Attractant for Adult Mosquitoes in Southeast Queensland, Australia,” Journal of Medical Entomology, 2015.
- Yu Yang, Lindsey S. Garver, Karen M. Bingham, Jun Hang, Ryan C. Jochirn, Silas A. Davidson, Jason H. Richardson, and Richard G. Jarman, “Feasibility of Using the Mosquito Blood Meal for Rapid and Efficient Human and Animal Virus Surveillance and Discovery,” American Journal Of Tropical Medicine And Hygiene, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 1377–1382, 2015.
- Maria Elena Remoli, Gioia Bongiorno, Claudia Fortuna, Antonella Marchi, Riccardo Bianchi, Cristina Khoury, Maria Grazia Ciufolini, and Marina Gramiccia, “Experimental evaluation of sand fly collection and storage methods for the isolation and molecular detection of Phlebotomus-borne viruses,” Parasites & Vectors, vol. 8, no. 1, 2015.
- Brian J. Johnson, Tim Kerlin, Sonja Hall-Mendelin, Andrew F. van den Hurk, Giles Cortis, Stephen L. Doggett, Cheryl Toi, Ken Fall, Jamie L. McMahon, Michael Townsend, and Scott A. Ritchie, “Development and field evaluation of the sentinel mosquito arbovirus capture kit (SMACK),” Parasites & Vectors, vol. 8, no. 1, 2015.
- Truc T. Pham, Shengli Meng, Yan Sun, Wenli Lv, and Justin Bahl, “Inference of Japanese encephalitis virus ecological and evolutionary dynamics from passive and active virus surveillance,” Virus Evolution, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. vew009, 2016.
- M. Brustolin, S. Talavera, C. SantamarÍA, R. Rivas, N. Pujol, C. Aranda, E. MarquÈS, M. Valle, M. VerdÚN, N. PagÈS, and N. Busquets, “ Culex pipiens and Stegomyia albopicta (= Aedes albopictus ) populations as vectors for lineage 1 and 2 West Nile virus in Europe ,” Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 2016.