- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 519238, 14 pages
Ultrasound Biomicroscopy in Small Animal Research: Applications in Molecular and Preclinical Imaging
1Department of Biomorphological and Functional Sciences, University of Naples “Federico II”, 80131 Naples, Italy
2CEINGE-Biotecnologie Avanzate, s.c.ar.l., 80145 Naples, Italy
3Institute of Biostructure and Bioimaging, Italian National Research Council (CNR), 80131 Naples, Italy
4SDN Foundation Instituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico (M.M.), 80131 Naples, Italy
5Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, Marshall University, Huntington, WV 25755, USA
6Department of Surgery, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, Marshall University, Huntington, WV 25755, USA
Received 1 August 2011; Accepted 12 August 2011
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2012 A. Greco et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. B. Hinton, C. M. Alfieri, S. A. Witt et al., “Mouse heart valve structure and function: echocardiographic and morphometric analyses from the fetus through the aged adult,” American Journal of Physiology—Heart and Circulatory Physiology, vol. 294, no. 6, pp. H2480–H2488, 2008.
- M. Mancini, E. Vergara, G. Salvatore et al., “Morphological ultrasound microimaging of thyroid in living mice,” Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 10, pp. 4810–4815, 2009.
- Z. P. Shen, A. A. Brayman, L. Chen, and C. H. Miao, “Ultrasound with microbubbles enhances gene expression of plasmid DNA in the liver via intraportal delivery,” Gene Therapy, vol. 15, no. 16, pp. 1147–1155, 2008.
- F. S. Foster, M. Zhang, A. S. Duckett, V. Cucevic, and C. J. Pavlin, “In vivo imaging of embryonic development in the mouse eye by ultrasound biomicroscopy,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 2361–2366, 2003.
- C. F. Spurney, C. W. Lo, and L. Leatherbury, “Fetal mouse imaging using echocardiography: a review of current technology,” Echocardiography, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 891–899, 2006.
- D. H. Turnbull, T. S. Bloomfield, H. S. Baldwin, F. S. Foster, and A. L. Joyner, “Ultrasound backscatter microscope analysis of early mouse embryonic brain development,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 2239–2243, 1995.
- A. Greco, A. Di Benedetto, C. M. Howard et al., “Eradication of therapy-resistant human prostate tumors using an ultrasound-guided site-specific cancer terminator virus delivery approach,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 295–306, 2010.
- H. C. Manning, N. B. Merchant, A. C. Foutch et al., “Molecular imaging of therapeutic response to epidermal growth factor receptor blockade in colorectal cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 22, pp. 7413–7422, 2008.
- M. L. Springer, R. E. Sievers, M. N. Viswanathan et al., “Closed-chest cell injections into mouse myocardium guided by high-resolution echocardiography,” American Journal of Physiology—Heart and Circulatory Physiology, vol. 289, no. 3, pp. H1307–H1314, 2005.
- Y. Q. Zhou, L. Davidson, R. M. Henkelman et al., “Ultrasound-guided left-ventricular catheterization: a novel method of whole mouse perfusion for microimaging,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 385–389, 2004.
- A. Greco, S. E. Kelly, P. P. Claudio, M. Salvatore, and A. Brunetti, “Ultrasound Contrast Agents for imaging and gene therapy,” in Proceedings of the AISAL Symposium “Imaging and Translational Medicine, p. 25, 2010.
- F. S. Foster, M. Y. Zhang, Y. Q. Zhou et al., “A new ultrasound instrument for in vivo microimaging of mice,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1165–1172, 2002.
- J. W. Xuan, M. Bygrave, H. Jiang et al., “Functional neoangiogenesis imaging of genetically engineered mouse prostate cancer using three-dimensional power Doppler ultrasound,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 2830–2839, 2007.
- O. Balogun, G. D. Cole, R. Huber, D. Chinn, T. W. Murray, and J. B. Spicer, “High-spatial-resolution sub-surface imaging using a laser-based acoustic microscopy technique,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 226–233, 2011.
- B. E. Treeby, E. Z. Zhang, A. S. Thomas, and B. T. Cox, “Measurement of the ultrasound attenuation and dispersion in whole human blood and its components from 0–70 MHz,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 289–300, 2011.
- M. Tamaki, K. Kidoguchi, T. Mizobe et al., “Carotid artery occlusion and collateral circulation in C57Black/6J mice detected by synchrotron radiation microangiography,” Kobe Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 111–118, 2006.
- K. C. Graham, L. A. Wirtzfeld, L. T. MacKenzie et al., “Three-dimensional high-frequency ultrasound imaging for longitudinal evaluation of liver metastases in preclinical models,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 5231–5237, 2005.
- L. A. Wirtzfeld, K. C. Graham, A. C. Groom et al., “Volume measurement variability in three-dimensional high-frequency ultrasound images of murine liver metastases,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 2367–2381, 2006.
- J. R. Lindner, “Microbubbles in medical imaging: current applications and future directions,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 527–532, 2004.
- F. S. Villanueva, R. J. Jankowski, S. Klibanov et al., “Microbubbles targeted to intercellular adhesion molecule-1 bind to activated coronary artery endothelial cells,” Circulation, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 1998.
- B. Walzog, D. Schuppan, C. Heimpel, A. Hafezi-Moghadam, P. Gaehtgens, and K. Ley, “The leukocyte integrin Mac-1 (CD11b/CD18) contributes to binding of human granulocytes to collagen,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 28–38, 1995.
- M. Mancini, A. Greco, A. Speranza, and M. Salvatore, “Ultrasound molecular imaging by targeted microbubble contrast agents,” Minerva Biotecnologica, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 97–110, 2009.
- H. D. Liang and M. J. K. Blomley, “The role of ultrasound in molecular imaging,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. S140–S150, 2003.
- S. L. Huang, “Liposomes in ultrasonic drug and gene delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 1167–1176, 2008.
- C. K. Holland and D. D. McPherson, “Echogenic lipsomes for targeted drug delivery,” in Proceedings IEEE International Symposium of Biomedical Imaging (ISBI '09), pp. 755–758, July 2009.
- G. M. Lanza and S. A. Wickline, “Targeted ultrasonic contrast agents for molecular imaging and therapy,” Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 13–31, 2001.
- O. Couture, P. D. Bevan, E. Cherin, K. Cheung, P. N. Burns, and F. S. Foster, “Investigating perfluorohexane particles with high-frequency ultrasound,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 73–82, 2006.
- N. Reznik, R. Williams, and P. N. Burns, “Investigation of vaporized submicron perfluorocarbon droplets as an ultrasound contrast agent,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1271–1279, 2011.
- R. Bekeredjian, S. Behrens, J. Ruef et al., “Potential of gold-bound microtubules as a new ultrasound contrast agent,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 691–695, 2002.
- H. A. Bardelmeijer, T. Buckle, M. Ouwehand, J. H. Beijnen, J. H. M. Schellens, and O. van Tellingen, “Cannulation of the jugular vein in mice: a method for serial withdrawal of blood samples,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 181–187, 2003.
- P. Haag, F. Frauscher, J. Gradl et al., “Microbubble-enhanced ultrasound to deliver an antisense oligodeoxynucleotide targeting the human androgen receptor into prostate tumours,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 102, no. 1–5, pp. 103–113, 2006.
- Y. Miyake, K. Ohmori, J. Yoshida et al., “Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor facilitates the angiogenesis induced by ultrasonic microbubble destruction,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1796–1804, 2007.
- J. C. Slevin, L. Byers, M. Gertsenstein et al., “High resolution ultrasound-guided microinjection for interventional studies of early embryonic and placental development in vivo in mice,” BMC Developmental Biology, vol. 27, no. 6, p. 10, 2006.
- D. Guo, X. Li, P. Sun et al., “Ultrasound/microbubble enhances foreign gene expression in ECV304 cells and murine myocardium,” Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 824–831, 2004.
- J. K. Willmann, A. M. Lutz, R. Paulmurugan et al., “Dual-targeted contrast agent for US assessment of tumor angiogenesis in vivo,” Radiology, vol. 248, no. 3, pp. 936–944, 2008.
- A. Lyshchik, A. C. Fleischer, J. Huamani, D. E. Hallahan, M. Brissova, and J. C. Gore, “Molecular imaging of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 expression using targeted contrast-enhanced high-frequency ultrasonography,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1575–1586, 2007.
- C. M. Howard, F. Forsberg, C. Minimo, J. B. Liu, D. A. Merton, and P. P. Claudio, “Ultrasound guided site specific gene delivery system using adenoviral vectors and commercial ultrasound contrast agents,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 209, no. 2, pp. 413–421, 2006.
- M. R. Böhmer, A. L. Klibanov, K. Tiemann, C. S. Hall, H. Gruell, and O. C. Steinbach, “Ultrasound triggered image-guided drug delivery,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 242–253, 2009.
- R. Pla, V. Borrell, N. Flames, and O. Marín, “Layer acquisition by cortical GABAergic interneurons is independent of Reelin signaling,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 28, no. 26, pp. 6924–6934, 2006.
- C. Punzo and C. L. Cepko, “Ultrasound-guided in utero injections allow studies of the development and function of the eye,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 237, no. 4, pp. 1034–1042, 2008.
- J. C. Pezold, K. Zinn, M. A. Talbert, R. Desmond, and E. L. Rosenthal, “Validation of ultrasonography to evaluate murine orthotopic oral cavity tumors,” ORL, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 159–163, 2006.
- C. P. Chang, L. Chen, and G. R. Crabtree, “Sonographic staging of the developmental status of mouse embryos in utero,” Genesis, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 2003.
- M. Zollo, N. Marino, A. Greco, et al., “In vivo imaging methodologies applied to the murine xenografts of human breast cancer: a pre-clinical h-prune animal model,” in Proceedings of the European Symposium of Molecular Imaging, p. 38, Naples, Italy, May 2007.
- B. Banihashemi, R. Vlad, B. Debeljevic, A. Giles, M. C. Kolios, and G. J. Czarnota, “Ultrasound imaging of apoptosis in tumor response: novel preclinical monitoring of photodynamic therapy effects,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 20, pp. 8590–8596, 2008.
- J. Folkman, “What is the evidence that tumors are angiogenesis dependent?” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 4–6, 1990.
- C. Dazzi, A. Cariello, P. Maioli et al., “Prognostic and predictive value of intratumoral microvessels density in operable non-small-cell lung cancer,” Lung Cancer, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 81–88, 1999.
- M. Scherrer-Crosbie and H. B. Thibault, “Echocardiography in translational research: of mice and men,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1083–1092, 2008.
- J. Stypmann, M. A. Engelen, C. Troatz, M. Rothenburger, L. Eckardt, and K. Tiemann, “Echocardiographic assessment of global left ventricular function in mice,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 127–137, 2009.
- R. C. Fentzke, C. E. Korcarz, S. G. Shroff et al., “Evaluation of ventricular and arterial hemodynamics in anesthetized closed-chest mice,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 915–925, 1997.
- P. Krishnamurthy, J. Rajasingh, E. Lambers, G. Qin, D. W. Losordo, and R. Kishore, “IL-10 inhibits inflammation and attenuates left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction via activation of STAT3 and suppression of HuR,” Circulation Research, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. e9–e18, 2009.
- J. Takagawa, Y. Zhang, M. L. Wong et al., “Myocardial infarct size measurement in the mouse chronic infarction model: comparison of area- and length-based approaches,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 2104–2111, 2007.
- T. P. Abraham, M. Jones, K. Kazmierczak et al., “Diastolic dysfunction in familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy transgenic model mice,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 84–92, 2009.
- L. Gavish, C. Rubinstein, A. Bulut et al., “Low-level laser irradiation inhibits abdominal aortic aneurysm progression in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 785–792, 2009.
- M. Ni, M. Zhang, S. F. Ding, W. Q. Chen, and Y. Zhang, “Micro-ultrasound imaging assessment of carotid plaque characteristics in apolipoprotein-E knockout mice,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 197, no. 1, pp. 64–71, 2008.
- M. Walker, B. R. Campbell, K. Azer et al., “A novel 3-dimensional micro-ultrasound approach to automated measurement of carotid arterial plaque volume as a biomarker for experimental atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 204, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 2009.
- G. Bragagni, F. Lari, G. Magenta, R. Brogna, and G. Zoli, “Echocardiographic evaluation of anti-tumor necrosis factor-α therapy with infliximab in patients without cardiac pathologies,” Recenti Progressi in Medicina, vol. 101, no. 7-8, pp. 289–292, 2010.
- J. Grönros, J. Wikström, U. Brandt-Eliasson et al., “Effects of rosuvastatin on cardiovascular morphology and function in an ApoE-knockout mouse model of atherosclerosis,” American Journal of Physiology—Heart and Circulatory Physiology, vol. 295, no. 5, pp. H2046–H2053, 2008.
- B. A. Kaufmann, M. Lankford, C. Z. Behm et al., “High-resolution myocardial perfusion imaging in mice with high-frequency echocardiographic detection of a depot contrast agent,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 136–143, 2007.
- S. Srinivasan, H. S. Baldwin, O. Aristizabal et al., “Noninvasive, in utero imaging of mouse embryonic heart development with 40-MHz echocardiography,” Circulation, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 912–918, 1998.
- C. K. L. Phoon, R. P. Ji, O. Aristizábal et al., “Embryonic heart failure in NFATc1-/- mice novel: mechanistic insights from in utero ultrasound biomicroscopy,” Circulation Research, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 92–99, 2004.
- N. Corrigan, D. P. Brazil, and F. M. Auliffe, “High-frequency ultrasound assessment of the murine heart from embryo through to juvenile,” Reproductive Sciences, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 147–157, 2010.
- D. H. Turnbull, J. A. Ramsay, G. S. Shivji et al., “Ultrasound backscatter microscope analysis of mouse melanoma progression,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 845–853, 1996.
- M. Russo, L. Meomartino, A. Greco et al., “Pregnancy detection in mice using ultrasound,” Veterinary Record, vol. 160, no. 13, pp. 446–447, 2007.
- J. Mu, J. C. Slevin, D. Qu, S. McCormick, and S. L. Adamson, “In vivo quantification of embryonic and placental growth during gestation in mice using micro-ultrasound,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 12, no. 6, p. 34, 2008.
- D. H. Turnbull, “In utero ultrasound backscatter microscopy of early stage mouse embryos,” Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 1999.
- E. Bentley, P. E. Miller, and K. A. Diehl, “Use of high-resolution ultrasound as a diagnostic tool in veterinary ophthalmology,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 223, no. 11, pp. 1617–1622, 2003.
- A. M. Flenniken, L. R. Osborne, N. Anderson et al., “A Gja1 missense mutation in a mouse model of oculodentodigital dysplasia,” Development, vol. 132, no. 19, pp. 4375–4386, 2005.
- N. Nissirios, J. Ramos-Esteban, and J. Danias, “Ultrasound biomicroscopy of the rat eye: effects of cholinergic and anticholinergic agents,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 243, no. 5, pp. 469–473, 2005.
- S. W. M. John, R. S. Smith, O. V. Savinova et al., “Essential iris atrophy, pigment dispersion, and glaucoma in DBA/2J mice,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 951–962, 1998.