- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 741416, 7 pages
Development of New Technologies for Stem Cell Research
1Intelligent Medical Research Center, State Key Laboratory of Management and Control for Complex Systems, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
2School of Life Sciences and Technology, Xidian University, Shaanxi, Xi’an 710071, China
Received 16 June 2012; Accepted 27 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ken-ichi Isobe
Copyright © 2012 Xibo Ma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Reya, S. J. Morrison, M. F. Clarke, and I. L. Weissman, “Stem cells, cancer, and cancer stem cells,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6859, pp. 105–111, 2001.
- M. Al-Hajj, M. S. Wicha, A. Benito-Hernandez, S. J. Morrison, and M. F. Clarke, “Prospective identification of tumorigenic breast cancer cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 3983–3988, 2003.
- S. K. Singh, I. D. Clarke, M. Terasaki et al., “Identification of a cancer stem cell in human brain tumors,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 18, pp. 5821–5828, 2003.
- C. H. Park, D. E. Bergsagel, and E. A. McCulloch, “Mouse myeloma tumor stem cells: a primary cell culture assay,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 411–422, 1971.
- A. W. Hamburger and S. E. Salmon, “Primary bioassay of human tumor stem cells,” Science, vol. 6464, no. 367, pp. 645–648, 1994.
- R. Pardal, M. F. Clarke, and S. J. Morrison, “Applying the principles of stem-cell biology to cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 895–902, 2003.
- M. Buzzai and J. D. Licht, “New molecular concepts and targets in acute myeloid leukemia,” Current Opinion in Hematology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 82–87, 2008.
- G. G. Wulf, R. Y. Wang, I. Kuehnle et al., “A leukemic stem cell with intrinsic drug efflux capacity in acute myeloid leukemia,” Blood, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 1166–1173, 2001.
- A. T. Collins, P. A. Berry, C. Hyde, M. J. Stower, and N. J. Maitland, “Prospective identification of tumorigenic prostate cancer stem cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 23, pp. 10946–10951, 2005.
- S. Takaishi, T. Okumura, S. Tu et al., “Identification of gastric cancer stem cells using the cell surface marker CD44,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1006–1020, 2009.
- A. Eramo, F. Lotti, G. Sette et al., “Identification and expansion of the tumorigenic lung cancer stem cell population,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 504–514, 2008.
- T. Yamashita, J. Ji, A. Budhu et al., “EpCAM-positive hepatocellular carcinoma cells are tumor-initiating cells with stem/progenitor cell features,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 1012–e4, 2009.
- P. C. Hermann, S. L. Huber, T. Herrler et al., “Distinct populations of cancer stem cells determine tumor growth and metastatic activity in human pancreatic cancer,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 313–323, 2007.
- E. Lonardo, P. C. Hermann, and C. Heeschen, “Pancreatic cancer stem cells—update and future perspectives,” Molecular Oncology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 431–442, 2010.
- D. A. Harrison and N. Perrimon, “Simple and efficient generation of marked clones in Drosophila,” Current Biology, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 424–433, 1993.
- T. Xie and A. C. Spradling, “decapentaplegic is essential for the maintenance and division of germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary,” Cell, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 251–260, 1998.
- V. Ntziachristos, J. Ripoll, L. V. Wang, and R. Weissleder, “Looking and listening to light: the evolution of whole-body photonic imaging,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 313–320, 2005.
- Y. Lv, J. Tian, W. Cong et al., “A multilevel adaptive finite element algorithm for bioluminescence tomography,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 8211–8223, 2006.
- C. H. Contag and M. H. Bachmann, “Advances in in vivo bioluminescence imaging of gene expression,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 4, pp. 235–260, 2002.
- S. Bhaumik and S. S. Gambhir, “Optical imaging of Renilla luciferase reporter gene expression in living mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 377–382, 2002.
- J. Feng, K. Jia, C. Qin et al., “Three-dimensional bioluminescence tomography based on bayesian approach,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 16834–16848, 2009.
- K. Liu, J. Tian, Y. Lu et al., “A fast bioluminescent source localization method based on generalized graph cuts with mouse model validations,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 3732–3745, 2010.
- D. A. Fluri, P. D. Tonge, H. Song, et al., “Derivation, expansion and differentiation of induced pluripotent stem cells in continuous suspension cultures,” Nature Methods, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 509–516, 2012.
- Y. S. Chen, R. A. Pelekanos, R. L. Ellis, R. Horne, E. J. Wolvetang, and N. M. Fisk, “Small molecule mesengenic induction of human induced pluripotent stem cells to generate mesenchymal stem/stromal cells,” Stem Cells Translational Medicine, vol. 1, pp. 83–95, 2012.
- N. Maherali and K. Hochedlinger, “Guidelines and techniques for the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 595–605, 2008.
- K. Bieback, S. Kern, A. Kocaömer, K. Ferlik, and P. Bugert, “Comparing mesenchymal stromal cells from different human tissues: bone marrow, adipose tissue and umbilical cord blood,” Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. S71–S76, 2008.
- S. Kern, H. Eichler, J. Stoeve, H. Klüter, and K. Bieback, “Comparative analysis of mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow, umbilical cord blood, or adipose tissue,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1294–1301, 2006.
- P. V. Guillot, C. Gotherstrom, J. Chan, H. Kurata, and N. M. Fisk, “Human first-trimester fetal MSC express pluripotency markers and grow faster and have longer telomeres than adult MSC,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 646–654, 2007.
- J. Yu, M. A. Vodyanik, K. Smuga-Otto et al., “Induced pluripotent stem cell lines derived from human somatic cells,” Science, vol. 318, no. 5858, pp. 1917–1920, 2007.
- Y. Z. Zhang, M. Cooke, S. Panjwani, et al., “Histone H1 depletion impairs embryonic stem cell differentiation,” PloS Genetics, vol. 8, no. 5, Article ID e1002691, 2012.
- E. M. Chandler, B. R. Seo, J. P. Califano, et al., “Implanted adipose progenitor cells as physicochemical regulators of breast cancer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, vol. 1, pp. 1–6, 2012.
- K. Takahashi and S. Yamanaka, “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 663–676, 2006.
- K. Takahashi, K. Tanabe, M. Ohnuki et al., “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 861–872, 2007.
- T. F. Massoud and S. S. Gambhir, “Molecular imaging in living subjects: seeing fundamental biological processes in a new light,” Genes and Development, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 545–580, 2003.
- W. Cong, K. Durairaj, L. V. Wang, and G. Wang, “A Born-type approximation method for bioluminescence tomography,” Medical Physics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 679–686, 2006.
- Z. Li, Y. Suzuki, M. Huang et al., “Comparison of reporter gene and iron particle labeling for tracking fate of human embryonic stem cells and differentiated endothelial cells in living subjects,” Stem Cells, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 864–873, 2008.
- L. M. Björklund, R. Sánchez-Pernaute, S. Chung et al., “Embryonic stem cells develop into functional dopaminergic neurons after transplantation in a Parkinson rat model,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 2344–2349, 2002.
- D. Lloyd-Jones, “Heart disease and stroke statistics—2009update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 480–486, 2009.
- V. F. M. Segers and R. T. Lee, “Stem-cell therapy for cardiac disease,” Nature, vol. 451, no. 7181, pp. 937–942, 2008.
- T. B. T. Borchardt, “Cardiovascular regeneration in non-mammalian model systems: what are the differences between newts and man?” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 311–318, 2007.
- J. C. Wu, M. R. Abraham, and D. L. Kraitchman, “Current perspectives on imaging cardiac stem cell therapy,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 128s–136s, 2010.
- M. A. Lijkwan, E. J. Bobs, J. C. Wu, and R. C. Robbins, “Role of molecular imaging in stem cell therapy for myocardial restoration,” TCM, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 183–188, 2010.
- B. B. Chin, Y. Nakamoto, J. W. M. Bulte, M. F. Pittenger, R. Wahl, and D. L. Kraitchman, “111In oxine labelled mesenchymal stem cell SPECT after intravenous administration in myocardial infarction,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1149–1154, 2003.
- F. Cao, S. Lin, X. Xie et al., “In vivo visualization of embryonic stem cell survival, proliferation, and migration after cardiac delivery,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 1005–1014, 2006.
- K. E. van der Bogt, A. Y. Sheikh, S. Schrepfer et al., “Comparison of different adult stem cell types for treatment of myocardial ischemia,” Circulation, vol. 118, no. 14, pp. S121–129, 2008.
- J. C. Wang, M. Tian, and H. Zhang, “PET molecular imaging in stem cell therapy for neurological diseases,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 38, pp. 1926–1938, 2011.
- S. U. Kim and J. de Vellis, “Stem cell-based cell therapy in neurological diseases: a review,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 2183–2200, 2009.
- A. Gera, G. K. Steinberg, and R. Guzman, “In vivo neural stem cell imaging: current modalities and future directions,” Regenerative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 73–86, 2010.
- B. Doyle, B. J. Kemp, P. Chareonthaitawee et al., “Dynamic tracking during intracoronary injection of18F-FDG- labeled progenitor cell therapy for acute myocardial infarction,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1708–1714, 2007.
- W. J. Kang, H. J. Kang, H. S. Kim, J. K. Chung, M. C. Lee, and D. S. Lee, “Tissue distribution of 18F-FDG-labeled peripheral hematopoietic stem cells after intracoronary administration in patients with myocardial infarction,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1295–1301, 2006.
- M. Hofmann, K. C. Wollert, G. P. Meyer et al., “Monitoring of bone marrow cell homing into the infarcted human myocardium,” Circulation, vol. 111, no. 17, pp. 2198–2202, 2005.
- M. S. Bradbury, G. Panagiotakos, B. K. Chan et al., “Optical bioluminescence imaging of human ES cell progeny in the rodent CNS,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 2029–2039, 2007.
- R. P. F. Salewski, E. Eftekharpour, and M. G. Fehlings, “Are induced pluripotent stem cells the future of cell-based regenerative therapies for spinal cord injury?” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 222, no. 3, pp. 515–521, 2010.
- R. D. Robbins, N. Prasain, B. F. Maier, M. C. Yoder, and R. G. Mirmira, “Inducible pluripotent stem cells: not quite ready for prime time?” Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 61–67, 2010.
- M. A. Esteban, T. Wang, B. Qin et al., “Vitamin C enhances the generation of mouse and human induced pluripotent stem cells,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 71–79, 2010.
- M. Stadtfeld, M. Nagaya, J. Utikal, G. Weir, and K. Hochedlinger, “Induced pluripotent stem cells generated without viral integration,” Science, vol. 322, no. 5903, pp. 945–949, 2008.
- W. Zhou and C. R. Freed, “Adenoviral gene delivery can reprogram human fibroblasts to induced pluripotent stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 2667–2674, 2009.
- T. Furukawa, T. G. Lohith, S. Takamatsu, T. Mori, T. Tanaka, and Y. Fujibayashi, “Potential of the FES-hERL PET reporter gene system—basic evaluation for gene therapy monitoring,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 145–151, 2006.
- S. Takamatsu, T. Furukawa, T. Mori, Y. Yonekura, and Y. Fujibayashi, “Noninvasive imaging of transplanted living functional cells transfected with a reporter estrogen receptor gene,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 821–829, 2005.
- C. Li, G. S. Mitchell, and S. R. Cherry, “Cerenkov luminescence tomography for small-animal imaging,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1109–1111, 2010.
- J. Zhong, J. Tian, X. Yang, and C. Qin, “Whole-body cerenkov luminescence tomography with the finite element SP 3 method,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1728–1735, 2011.
- Y. Zhang, M. Ruel, R. S. B. Beanlands, R. A. deKemp, E. J. Suuronen, and J. N. DaSilva, “Tracking stem cell therapy in the myocardium: applications of positron emission tomography,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 14, no. 36, pp. 3835–3853, 2008.
- H. He, M. A. Mortellaro, M. J. P. Leiner, S. T. Young, R. J. Fraatz, and J. K. Tusa, “A fluorescent chemosensor for sodium based on photoinduced electron transfer,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 549–555, 2003.