- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 817341, 12 pages
Think Small: Zebrafish as a Model System of Human Pathology
1Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
2Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
3Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Received 9 January 2012; Accepted 12 March 2012
Academic Editor: Andrea Vecchione
Copyright © 2012 J. R. Goldsmith and Christian Jobin. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [43 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Rakhi Kumari, Subodh Gupta, Arvind R. Singh, S. Ferosekhan, Dushyant C. Kothari, Asim Kumar Pal, and Sanjay Balkrishna Jadhao, “Chitosan Nanoencapsulated Exogenous Trypsin Biomimics Zymogen-Like Enzyme in Fish Gastrointestinal Tract,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 9, 2013.
- Timothy M. McDonald, Adam J. Sumner, Jonazary F. Reyes, Agnes S. Pascual, Chandana K. Uppalapati, Kimbal E. Cooper, Kathryn J. Leyva, and Elizabeth E. Hull, “Matrix metalloproteinases and collective cell migration in 24 h primary zebrafish explant cultures: MMP13 plays an inhibitory role and MMP14 may respond to stretch during reepithelialisation,” Cell Biology International Reports, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 24–36, 2013.
- Mian Yahya Mushtaq, Robert Verpoorte, and Hye Kyong Kim, “Zebrafish as a model for systems biology,” Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Reviews, pp. 1–19, 2013.
- Maria M. Costa, Paolo R. Saraceni, Gabriel Forn-Cuní, Sonia Dios, Alejandro Romero, Antonio Figueras, and Beatriz Novoa, “IL-22 is a key player in the regulation of inflammation in fish and involves innate immune cells and PI3K signalling,” Developmental & Comparative Immunology, 2013.
- Yoichi Asaoka, Shuji Terai, Isao Sakaida, and Hiroshi Nishina, “The expanding role of fish models in understanding non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” DMM Disease Models and Mechanisms, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 905–914, 2013.
- Enrico Moro, Andrea Vettori, Patrizia Porazzi, Marco Schiavone, Elena Rampazzo, Alessandro Casari, Olivier Ek, Nicola Facchinello, Matteo Astone, Ilaria Zancan, Martina Milanetto, Natascia Tiso, and Francesco Argenton, “Generation and application of signaling pathway reporter lines in zebrafish,” Molecular Genetics and Genomics, vol. 288, no. 5-6, pp. 231–242, 2013.
- Robert V. Intine, Ansgar S. Olsen, and Michael P. Sarras, “A Zebrafish Model of Diabetes Mellitus and Metabolic Memory,” Jove-Journal Of Visualized Experiments, no. 72, 2013.
- Michael A. Pickart, and Eric W. Klee, “Zebrafish Approaches Enhance the Translational Research Tackle Box,” Translational Research, 2013.
- Chereen Collymore, Skye Rasmussen, and Ravi J. Tolwani, “Gavaging adult zebrafish,” Journal of Visualized Experiments, no. 78, 2013.
- Anna Beker van Woudenberg, André Wolterbeek, Lindsey te Brake, Cor Snel, Aswin Menke, Carina Rubingh, Didima de Groot, and Dinant Kroese, “A category approach to predicting the developmental (neuro) toxicity of organotin compounds: The value of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryotoxicity test (ZET),” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 41, pp. 35–44, 2013.
- Aurélie Rieu, Nabil Aoudia, Gaëtan Jego, Johanna Chluba, Nadhir Yousfi, Romain Briandet, Julien Deschamps, Benoît Gasquet, Vicente Monedero, Carmen Garrido, and Jean Guzzo, “ The biofilm mode of life boosts the anti-inflammatory properties of L actobacillus ,” Cellular Microbiology, 2014.
- Timothy A. Petrie, Nicholas S. Strand, Chao Tsung-Yang, Jeremy S. Rabinowitz, and Randall T. Moon, “Macrophages modulate adult zebrafish tail fin regeneration,” Development, vol. 141, no. 13, pp. 2581–2591, 2014.
- Marco Schiavone, Elena Rampazzo, Alessandro Casari, Giusy Battilana, Luca Persano, Enrico Moro, Shu Liu, Steve D. Leach, Natascia Tiso, and Francesco Argenton, “Zebrafish reporter lines reveal in vivo signaling pathway activities involved in pancreatic cancer,” Disease Models & Mechanisms, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 883–894, 2014.
- Ye Yang, Sarah Tomkovich, and Christian Jobin, “Could a Swimming Creature Inform Us on Intestinal Diseases? Lessons from Zebrafish,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 956–966, 2014.
- Guogang Yuan, Yimei Wang, Xiaoyan Yuan, Tingfen Zhang, Jun Zhao, Liuyu Huang, and Shuangqing Peng, “T-2 toxin induces developmental toxicity and apoptosis in zebrafish embryos,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 917–925, 2014.
- Hannah E. Henson, Chaithanyarani Parupalli, Bensheng Ju, and Michael R. Taylor, “Functional and genetic analysis of choroid plexus development in zebrafish,” Frontiers in Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2014.
- Shahram Jevin Poureetezadi, Eric K. Donahue, and Rebecca A. Wingert, “A Manual Small Molecule Screen Approaching High-throughput Using Zebrafish Embryos,” Jove-Journal Of Visualized Experiments, no. 93, 2014.
- Si-Hwan Park, Hyun Jung Kim, Soon-Ho Yim, Ah-Ra Kim, Nisha Tyagi, Haihong Shen, Kyung Keun Kim, Boo Ahn Shin, Da-Woon Jung, and Darren R. Williams, “Delineation of the Role of Glycosylation in the Cytotoxic Properties of Quercetin using Novel Assays in Living Vertebrates,” Journal of Natural Products, pp. 141114105150004, 2014.
- Norhashimah Abu Seman, Bing He, Juha R. M. Ojala, Wan Nazaimoon Wan Mohamud, Claes-Goran Ostenson, Kerstin Brismar, and Harvest F. Gu, “Genetic and Biological Effects of Sodium-Chloride Cotransporter (SLC12A3) in Diabetic Nephropathy,” American Journal Of Nephrology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 408–416, 2014.
- Christina S. Stevens, Helena Rosado, Robert J. Harvey, and Peter W. Taylor, “Epicatechin gallate, a naturally occurring polyphenol, alters the course of infection with β-lactam-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the zebrafish embryo,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 6, 2015.
- A. Saralahti, and M. Rämet, “Zebrafish and Streptococcal Infections,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 174–183, 2015.
- Shuai Zhao, Jian Huang, and Jun Ye, “A fresh look at zebrafish from the perspective of cancer research,” Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 34, no. 1, 2015.
- Lizhen Zhu, Xiyan Mu, Kai Wang, Tingting Chai, Yang Yang, Lihong Qiu, and Chengju Wang, “Cyhalofop-butyl has the potential to induce developmental toxicity, oxidative stress and apoptosis in early life stage of zebrafish (Danio rerio),” Environmental Pollution, vol. 203, pp. 40–49, 2015.
- Leyla Ruzicka, Yvonne M. Bradford, Ken Frazer, Douglas G. Howe, Holly Paddock, Sridhar Ramachandran, Amy Singer, Sabrina Toro, Ceri E. Van Slyke, Anne E. Eagle, David Fashena, Patrick Kalita, Jonathan Knight, Prita Mani, Ryan Martin, Sierra A.T. Moxon, Christian Pich, Kevin Schaper, Xiang Shao, and Monte Westerfield, “ZFIN, The zebrafish model organism database: Updates and new directions,” genesis, 2015.
- Gary F. Gerlach, Elvin E. Morales, and Rebecca A. Wingert, “Microbead Implantation in the Zebrafish Embryo,” Jove-Journal Of Visualized Experiments, no. 101, 2015.
- Lindsay Marjoram, and Michel Bagnat, “Infection, Inflammation and Healing in Zebrafish: Intestinal Inflammation,” Current Pathobiology Reports, 2015.
- Jiun-Nong Lin, Lin-Li Chang, Chung-Hsu Lai, Kai-Jen Lin, Mei-Fang Lin, Chih-Hui Yang, Hsi-Hsun Lin, and Yen-Hsu Chen, “Development of an Animal Model for Alcoholic Liver Disease in Zebrafish,” Zebrafish, pp. 150429080721001, 2015.
- Jerry D. Monroe, Gopinath Rajadinakaran, and Michael E. Smith, “Sensory hair cell death and regeneration in fishes,” Frontiers In Cellular Neuroscience, vol. 9, 2015.
- Candida Vaz, Choon Wei Wee, Gek Ping Serene Lee, Philip W. Ingham, Vivek Tanavde, and Sinnakaruppan Mathavan, “Deep sequencing of small RNA facilitates tissue and sex associated microRNA discovery in zebrafish,” BMC Genomics, vol. 16, no. 1, 2015.
- Jesse Lyons, Charles A. Herring, Amrita Banerjee, Alan J. Simmons, and Ken S. Lau, “Multiscale analysis of the murine intestine for modeling human diseases,” Integr. Biol., vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 740–757, 2015.
- Yunlong Hou, Juan M. Adrian-Segarra, Manfred Richter, Natalia Kubin, Jaeyoung Shin, Isabella Werner, Thomas Walther, Markus Schönburg, Jochen Pöling, Henning Warnecke, Thomas Braun, Sawa Kostin, and Thomas Kubin, “Animal Models and “Omics” Technologies for Identification of Novel Biomarkers and Drug Targets to Prevent Heart Failure,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2015, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Paolo R. Saraceni, Alejandro Romero, Antonio Figueras, and Beatriz Novoa, “Establishment of Infection Models in Zebrafish Larvae (Danio rerio) to Study the Pathogenesis of Aeromonas hydrophila,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Miao Hu, Nan Hu, Dexin Ding, Weichao Zhao, Yongfu Feng, Hui Zhang, Guangyue Li, and Yongdong Wang, “Developmental toxicity and oxidative stress induced by gamma irradiation in zebrafish embryos,” Radiation and Environmental Biophysics, 2016.
- Luca Borrelli, Serena Aceto, Claudio Agnisola, Sofia De Paolo, Ludovico Dipineto, Roman M. Stilling, Timothy G. Dinan, John F. Cryan, Lucia F. Menna, and Alessandro Fioretti, “Probiotic modulation of the microbiota-gut-brain axis and behaviour in zebrafish,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 30046, 2016.
- Guixiang Liao, Rong Li, Xiaohui Chen, Wenqing Zhang, Shasha Du, and Yawei Yuan, “Sodium valproate prevents radiation-induced injury in hippocampal neurons via activation of the Nrf2/HO-1 pathway,” Neuroscience, 2016.
- Daniel Brown, Leigh Samsa, Li Qian, and Jiandong Liu, “Advances in the Study of Heart Development and Disease Using Zebrafish,” Journal of Cardiovascular Development and Disease, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 13, 2016.
- Shimei Wu, Ge Liu, Weihua Jin, Pengyuan Xiu, and Chaomin Sun, “Antibiofilm and Anti-Infection of a Marine Bacterial Exopolysaccharide Against Pseudomonas aeruginosa,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Qinghua Zhang, Xuehong Dong, Biao Chen, Yonghua Zhang, Yao Zu, and Weiming Li, “Zebrafish as a useful model for zoonotic Vibrio parahaemolyticus pathogenicity in fish and human,” Developmental And Comparative Immunology, vol. 55, pp. 159–168, 2016.
- Simon Perathoner, Maria Lorena Cordero-Maldonado, and Alexander D. Crawford, “Potential of zebrafish as a model for exploring the role of the amygdala in emotional memory and motivational behavior,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, 2016.
- M. Caro, I. Iturria, M. Martinez-Santos, M. A. Pardo, S. Rainieri, I. Tueros, and V. Navarro, “Zebrafish dives into food research: effectiveness assessment of bioactive compounds,” Food Funct., 2016.
- Ana Cristina Norberto Oliveira, Marisa Passos Sárria, Pedro Moreira, Joana Fernandes, Lisandra Castro, Ivo Lopes, Manuela Côrte-Real, Artur Cavaco-Paulo, Maria Elisabete Cunha Dias Real Oliveira, and Andreia Castro Gomes, “Counter ions and constituents combination affect DODAX : MO nanocarriers toxicity in vitro and in vivo,” Toxicol. Res., 2016.
- Delfine Cheng, Gerald J. Shami, Marco Morsch, Roger S. Chung, and Filip Braet, “Ultrastructural Mapping of the Zebrafish Gastrointestinal System as a Basis for Experimental Drug Studies,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2016, pp. 1–13, 2016.
- Hui-Jen Lin, Zhen-Yi Hong, Yaw-Kuen Li, and Ian Liau, “Fluorescent tracer of dopamine enables selective labelling and interrogation of dopaminergic amacrine cells in the retina of living zebrafish,” RSC Adv., vol. 6, no. 75, pp. 71589–71595, 2016.