- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 136106, 5 pages
Plasma HULC as a Promising Novel Biomarker for the Detection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma
1Department of Laboratory Medicine, Zhengzhou People’s Hospital, 33 Huanghe Road, Zhengzhou 450003, China
2Henan Red Cross Blood Center, Institute of Transfusion Medicine, 9 Tongle Road, Zhengzhou 450012, China
3Department of Laboratory Medicine, Jinshan Hospital, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200540, China
Received 30 January 2013; Revised 16 April 2013; Accepted 2 May 2013
Academic Editor: Vladimir Bajic
Copyright © 2013 Hui Xie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. P. Venook, C. Papandreou, J. Furuse, and L. L. de Guevara, “The incidence and epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma: a global and regional perspective,” The Oncologist, vol. 15, supplement 4, pp. 5–13, 2010.
- J. Ferlay, H. R. Shin, F. Bray, D. Forman, C. Mathers, and D. M. Parkin, “Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 12, pp. 2893–2917, 2010.
- C. D. Malone and G. J. Hannon, “Small RNAs as Guardians of the Genome,” Cell, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 656–668, 2009.
- D. Moazed, “Small RNAs in transcriptional gene silencing and genome defence,” Nature, vol. 457, no. 7228, pp. 413–420, 2009.
- P. Bertone, V. Stolc, T. E. Royce et al., “Global identification of human transcribed sequences with genome tiling arrays,” Science, vol. 306, no. 5705, pp. 2242–2246, 2004.
- P. Kapranov, J. Drenkow, J. Cheng et al., “Examples of the complex architecture of the human transcriptome revealed by RACE and high-density tiling arrays,” Genome Research, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 987–997, 2005.
- V. Srikantan, Z. Zou, G. Petrovics et al., “PCGEM1, a prostate-specific gene, is overexpressed in prostate cancer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 22, pp. 12216–12221, 2000.
- M. J. G. Bussemakers, A. van Bokhoven, G. W. Verhaegh et al., “DD3: a new prostate-specific gene, highly overexpressed in prostate cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 23, pp. 5975–5979, 1999.
- G. Petrovics, W. Zhang, M. Makarem et al., “Elevated expression of PCGEM1, a prostate-specific gene with cell growth-promoting function, is associated with high-risk prostate cancer patients,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 605–611, 2004.
- A. Iacoangeli, Y. Lin, E. J. Morley et al., “BC200 RNA in invasive and preinvasive breast cancer,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2125–2133, 2004.
- P. Ji, S. Diederichs, W. Wang et al., “MALAT-1, a novel noncoding RNA, and thymosin β4 predict metastasis and survival in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 39, pp. 8031–8041, 2003.
- M. A. Cortez, C. Bueso-Ramos, J. Ferdin, G. Lopez-Berestein, A. K. Sood, and G. A. Calin, “MicroRNAs in body fluids-the mix of hormones and biomarkers,” Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 467–477, 2011.
- Z. Huang, D. Huang, S. Ni, Z. Peng, W. Sheng, and X. Du, “Plasma microRNAs are promising novel biomarkers for early detection of colorectal cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 118–126, 2010.
- R. Liu, X. Chen, Y. Du et al., “Serum microRNA expression profile as a biomarker in the diagnosis and prognosis of pancreatic cancer,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 58, pp. 610–618, 2012.
- C. J. Liu, S. Y. Kao, H. F. Tu, M. M. Tsai, K. W. Chang, and S. C. Lin, “Increase of microRNA miR-31 level in plasma could be a potential marker of oral cancer,” Oral Diseases, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 360–364, 2010.
- K. Panzitt, M. M. O. Tschernatsch, C. Guelly et al., “Characterization of HULC, a novel gene with striking up-regulation in hepatocellular carcinoma, as noncoding RNA,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 330–342, 2007.
- T. S. Wong, X. B. Liu, B. Y. H. Wong, R. W. M. Ng, A. P. W. Yuen, and W. I. Wei, “Mature miR-184 as potential oncogenic microRNA of squamous cell carcinoma of tongue,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 2588–2592, 2008.
- N. J. Park, H. Zhou, D. Elashoff et al., “Salivary microRNA: discovery, characterization, and clinical utility for oral cancer detection,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 5473–5477, 2009.
- M. Gorenchtein, C. F. Poh, R. Saini, and C. Garnis, “MicroRNAs in an oral cancer context—from basic biology to clinical utility,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 91, pp. 440–446, 2012.
- J. Wang, X. Liu, H. Wu et al., “CREB up-regulates long non-coding RNA, HULC expression through interaction with microRNA-372 in liver cancer,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, no. 16, pp. 5366–5383, 2010.
- X. Zhang, H. Zhang, and L. Ye, “Effects of hepatitis B virus X protein on the development of liver cancer,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 147, no. 2, pp. 58–66, 2006.
- Y. Du, G. Kong, X. You et al., “Elevation of highly up-regulated in liver cancer (HULC) by hepatitis B virus X protein promotes hepatoma cell proliferation via down-regulating p18,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 287, pp. 26302–26311, 2012.
- L. Lipovich, R. Johnson, and C. Y. Lin, “MacroRNA underdogs in a microRNA world: evolutionary, regulatory, and biomedical significance of mammalian long non-protein-coding RNA,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Gene Regulatory Mechanisms, vol. 1799, no. 9, pp. 597–615, 2010.
- M. Huarte and J. L. Rinn, “Large non-coding RNAs: missing links in cancer?” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. R152–R161, 2010.