- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 217026, 6 pages
Doxycycline Prevents Intimal Hyperplasia In Vitro and May Improve Patency of the Internal Thoracic Artery
1Department of Cardiac Surgery, School of Medicine, University Federico II, Via S. Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
2Department of Cardiology, Azienda Ospedaliera Santobono-Pausilipon, Via Posillipo 226, 80123 Naples, Italy
Received 23 April 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: M. Harold Laughlin
Copyright © 2013 Vito Mannacio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Friedl, J. Li, B. Schumacher et al., “Intimal hyperplasia and expression of transforming growth factor-β1 in saphenous veins and internal mammary arteries before coronary artery surgery,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 1312–1318, 2004.
- M. Ojha, R. L. Leask, K. W. Johnston, T. E. David, and J. Butany, “Histology and morphology of 59 internal thoracic artery grafts ant their distal anastomoses,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 1338–1344, 2000.
- P. Ruengsakulrach, R. Sinclair, M. Komeda, J. Raman, I. Gordon, and B. Buxton, “Comparative histopathology of radial artery versus internal thoracic artery and risk factors for development of intimal hyperplasia and atherosclerosis,” Circulation, vol. 100, no. 19, pp. II139–II144, 1999.
- M. Peterson, K. E. Porter, I. M. Loftus, M. M. Thompson, and N. J. M. London, “Marimastat inhibits neointimal thickening in a model of human arterial intimal hyperplasia,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 461–467, 2000.
- M. P. Anstadt, D. L. Franga, V. Portik-Dobos et al., “Native matrix metalloproteinase characteristics may influence early stenosis of venous versus arterial coronary artery bypass grafting conduits,” Chest, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1853–1858, 2004.
- M. W. Manning, L. A. Cassis, and A. Daugherty, “Differential effects of doxycycline, a broad-spectrum matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor, on angiotensin II-induced atherosclerosis and abdominal aortic aneurysms,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 483–488, 2003.
- V. Mannacio, L. Di Tommaso, A. Antignano et al., “Endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression in postmenopausal women: a sex-specific risk factor in coronary surgery,” The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 94, pp. 1934–1939, 2012.
- R. W. Thompson and B. T. Baxter, “MMP inhibition in abdominal aortic aneurysms: rationale for a prospective randomized clinical trial,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 878, pp. 159–178, 1999.
- J. H. N. Lindeman, H. Abdul-Hussien, J. H. van Bockel, R. Wolterbeek, and R. Kleemann, “Clinical trial of doxycycline for matrix metalloproteinase-9 inhibition in patients with an abdominal aneurysm doxycycline selectively depletes aortic wall neutrophils and cytotoxic t cells,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 16, pp. 2209–2216, 2009.
- F. J. Villarreal, M. Griffin, J. Omens, W. Dillmann, J. Nguyen, and J. Covell, “Early short-term treatment with doxycycline modulates postinfarction left ventricular remodeling,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 12, pp. 1487–1492, 2003.
- T. Onoda, T. Ono, D. K. Dhar, A. Yamanoi, T. Fujii, and N. Nagasue, “Doxycycline inhibits cell proliferation and invasive potential: combination therapy with cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor in human colorectal cancer cells,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 143, no. 4, pp. 207–216, 2004.
- V. Mannacio, L. Di Tommaso, V. de Amicis, P. Stassano, and C. Vosa, “Randomized flow capacity comparison of skeletonized and pedicled left internal mammary artery,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 24–30, 2011.
- V. Mannacio, L. Di Tommaso, V. De Amicis, F. Musumeci, and P. Stassano, “Serial evaluation of flow in single or arterial Y-grafts to the left coronary artery,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1712–1718, 2011.
- J. R. Boyle, E. McDermott, M. Crowther, A. D. Wills, P. R. F. Bell, and M. M. Thompson, “Doxycycline inhibits elastin degradation and reduces metalloproteinase activity in a model of aneurysmal disease,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 354–361, 1998.
- K. E. Porter, J. Naik, N. A. Turner, T. Dickinson, M. M. Thompson, and N. J. M. London, “Simvastatin inhibits human saphenous vein neointima formation via inhibition of smooth muscle cell proliferation and migration,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 150–157, 2002.
- A. Mekontso-Dessap, M. Kirsch, C. Guignambert et al., “Vascular-wall remodeling of 3 human bypass vessels: organ culture and smooth muscle cell properties,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 651–658, 2006.
- E. Kaufer, S. M. Factor, R. Frame, and R. F. Brodman, “Pathology of the radial and internal thoracic arteries used as coronary artery bypass grafts,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1118–1122, 1997.
- A. C. Newby and A. B. Zaltsman, “Molecular mechanism in intimal hyperplasia,” The Journal of Pathology, vol. 190, pp. 300–309, 2000.
- K. M. Southgate, M. Fisher, A. P. Banning et al., “Upregulation of basement membrane-degrading metalloproteinase secretion after balloon injury of pig carotid arteries,” Circulation Research, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 1177–1187, 1996.
- M. P. Bendeck, C. Irvin, and M. A. Reidy, “Inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase activity inhibits smooth muscle cell migration but not neointimal thickening after arterial injury,” Circulation Research, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 38–43, 1996.
- C. Li, W. J. Cantor, N. Nili et al., “Arterial repair after stenting and the effects of GM6001, a matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1852–1858, 2002.
- M. A. Bartoli, F. E. Parodi, J. Chu et al., “Localized administration of doxycycline suppresses aortic dilatation in an experimental mouse model of abdominal aortic aneurysm,” Annals of Vascular Surgery, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 228–236, 2006.