- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 238943, 7 pages
Ocular Dominance and Visual Function Testing
Clinical & Experimental Optometry Research Laboratory, Center of Physics, University of Minho, Gualtar, 4710-057 Braga, Portugal
Received 18 July 2013; Accepted 1 September 2013
Academic Editor: Jacob J. Sosnoff
Copyright © 2013 D. Lopes-Ferreira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Porac and S. Coren, “The dominant eye,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 880–897, 1976.
- A. P. Mapp, H. Ono, and R. Barbeito, “What does the dominant eye dominate? A brief and somewhat contentious review,” Perception and Psychophysics, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 310–317, 2003.
- M. S. Banks, T. Ghose, and J. M. Hillis, “Relative image size, not eye position, determines eye dominance switches,” Vision Research, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 229–234, 2004.
- E. Shneor and S. Hochstein, “Effects of eye dominance in visual perception,” International Congress Series, vol. 1282, pp. 719–723, 2005.
- E. Shneor and S. Hochstein, “Eye dominance effects in feature search,” Vision Research, vol. 46, no. 25, pp. 4258–4269, 2006.
- S. Rombouts, F. Barkhof, M. Sprenger, J. Valk, and P. Scheltens, “The functional basis of ocular dominance: functional MRI, (fMRI) findings,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 221, pp. 1–4, 1996.
- J. D. Mendola and I. P. Conner, “Eye dominance predicts fMRI signals in human retinotopic cortex,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 414, no. 1, pp. 30–34, 2007.
- D. C. Bourassa, I. C. McManus, and M. P. Bryden, “Handedness and eye-dominance: a meta-analysis of their relationship,” Laterality, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 5–34, 1996.
- F. Zeri, M. de Luca, D. Spinelli, and P. Zoccolotti, “Ocular dominance stability and reading skill: a controversial relationship,” Optometry and Vision Science, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 1353–1362, 2011.
- S. Coren and C. P. Kaplan, “Patterns of ocular dominance,” American Journal of Optometry, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 283–292, 1973.
- A. Z. Khan and J. D. Crawford, “Ocular dominance reverses as a function of horizontal gaze angle,” Vision Research, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 1743–1748, 2001.
- J. S. Pointer, “Sighting dominance, handedness, and visual acuity preference: three mutually exclusive modalities?” Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 117–126, 2001.
- T. Handa, K. Mukuno, H. Uozato, T. Niida, N. Shoji, and K. Shimizu, “Effects of dominant and nondominant eyes in binocular rivalry,” Optometry and Vision Science, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 377–382, 2004.
- C. Suttle, J. Alexander, M. Liu, S. Ng, J. Poon, and T. Tran, “Sensory ocular dominance based on resolution acuity, contrast sensitivity and alignment sensitivity,” Clinical and Experimental Optometry, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 2–8, 2009.
- B. J. W. Evans, “Monovision: a review,” Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol. 27, pp. 417–439, 2007.
- S. Jain, I. Arora, and D. T. Azar, “Success of monovision in presbyopes: review of the literature and potential applications to refractive surgery,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 491–499, 1996.
- T. Handa, K. Shimizu, K. Mukuno, T. Kawamorita, and H. Uozato, “Effects of ocular dominance on binocular summation after monocular reading adds,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1588–1592, 2005.
- M. W. Robboy, I. G. Cox, and P. Erickson, “Effect of sighting and sensory dominance on monovision high and low contrast visual acuity,” CLAO Journal, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 299–301, 1990.
- S. P. Newman, J. F. Wadsworth, R. Archer, and R. Hockly, “Ocular dominance, reading, and spelling ability in schoolchildren,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 228–232, 1985.
- C. Cheng, M. Yen, H. Lin, W. Hsia, and W. Hsu, “Association of ocular dominance and anisometropic myopia,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 2856–2860, 2004.
- T. Handa, K. Mukuno, H. Uozato et al., “Ocular dominance and patient satisfaction after monovision induced by intraocular lens implantation,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 769–774, 2004.
- W. H. Ehrenstein, B. E. Arnold-Schulz-Gahmen, and W. Jaschinski, “Eye preference within the context of binocular functions,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 243, no. 9, pp. 926–932, 2005.
- A. Chia, A. Jaurigue, G. Gazzard et al., “Ocular dominance, laterality, and refraction in Singaporean children,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 3533–3536, 2007.
- O. Seijas, P. G. de Liaño, C. J. Roberts, E. Piedrahita, and E. Diaz, “Ocular dominance diagnosis and its influence in monovision,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 144, pp. 209–216, 2007.
- M. L. Rice, D. A. Leske, C. E. Smestad, and J. M. Holmes, “Results of ocular dominance testing depend on assessment method,” Journal of AAPOS, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 365–369, 2008.
- D. M. Laby, D. G. Kirschen, A. L. Rosenbaum, and M. F. Mellman, “The effect of ocular dominance on the performance of professional baseball players,” Ophthalmology, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 864–866, 1996.
- J. Fagard, K. Monzalvo-Lopez, and P. Mamassian, “Relationship between eye preference and binocular rivalry, and between eye-hand preference and reading ability in children,” Developmental Psychobiology, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 789–798, 2008.
- E. Yang, R. Blake, and J. E. McDonald II, “A new interocular suppression technique for measuring sensory eye dominance,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 588–593, 2010.
- W. Fink, “The dominant eye: its clinical significance,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 19, pp. 555–582, 1938.
- S. Jain, R. Ou, and D. T. Azar, “Monovision outcomes in presbyopic individuals after refractive surgery,” Ophthalmology, vol. 108, no. 8, pp. 1430–1433, 2001.