- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 498205, 5 pages
Bronchial Responsiveness in Patients with Restrictive Spirometry
Division of Pulmonary/Critical Care Medicine, the Oklahoma City VA Medical Center and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 920 Stanton L. Young Boulevard, WP 1310, Oklahoma City, OK 73104-5020, USA
Received 4 April 2013; Accepted 11 July 2013
Academic Editor: Demosthenes Bouros
Copyright © 2013 Jean I. Keddissi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Pellegrino, G. Viegi, V. Brusasco, et al., “Interpretative strategies for lung function tests,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 948–968, 2005.
- G. H. Guyatt, M. Townsend, S. Nogradi, S. O. Pugsley, J. L. Keller, and M. T. Newhouse, “Acute response to bronchodilator. An imperfect guide for bronchodilator therapy in chronic airflow limitation,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 9, pp. 1949–1952, 1988.
- P. L. P. Brand, P. H. Quanjer, D. S. Postma et al., “Interpretation of bronchodilator response in patients with obstructive airways disease,” Thorax, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 429–436, 1992.
- R. Gilbert and J. H. Auchincloss Jr., “Reactive airways dysfunction syndrome presenting as a reversible restrictive defect,” Lung, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 1989.
- D. A. Kaminsky and C. G. Irvin, “Anatomic correlates of reversible restrictive lung disease,” Chest, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 928–931, 1993.
- D. W. Hudgel, D. Cooper, and J. Souhrada, “Reversible restrictive lung disease simulating asthma,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 328–332, 1976.
- C. Colp and M. H. Williams Jr., “Total occlusion of airways producing a restrictive pattern of ventilatory impairment,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 118–122, 1973.
- D. P. Schlueter, J. N. Fink, and A. J. Sosman, “Pulmonary function in pigeon breeders' disease: a hypersensitivity pneumonitis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 457–470, 1969.
- M. R. Miller, J. Hankinson, V. Brusasco, et al., “Standardisation of spirometry,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 319–338, 2005.
- J. L. Hankinson, J. R. Odencrantz, and K. B. Fedan, “Spirometric reference values from a sample of the general U.S. Population,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 179–187, 1999.
- R. O. Crapo, A. H. Morris, P. D. Clayton, and C. R. Nixon, “Lung volumes in healthy nonsmoking adults,” Clinical Respiratory Physiology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 419–425, 1982.
- R. O. Crapo and A. H. Morris, “Standardized single breath normal values for carbon monoxide diffusing capacity,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 185–189, 1981.
- A. B. Dubois, S. Y. Botelho, and J. H. Comroe Jr., “A new method for measuring airway resistance in man using a body,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 327–335, 1956.
- P. H. Quanjer, G. J. Tammeling, J. E. Cotes, O. F. Pedersen, R. Peslin, and J. C. Yernault, “Lung volumes and forced ventilatory flows. Report Working Party Standardization of Lung Function Tests, European Community for Steel and Coal. Official Statement of the European Respiratory Society,” The European Respiratory Journal, vol. 16, supplement, pp. 5–40, 1993.
- S. D. Aaron, R. E. Dales, and P. Cardinal, “How accurate is spirometry at predicting restrictive pulmonary impairment?” Chest, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 869–873, 1999.
- O. Eliasson and A. C. Degraff Jr., “The use of criteria for reversibility and obstruction to define patient groups for bronchodilator trials. Influence of clinical diagnosis, spirometric, and anthropometric variables,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 858–864, 1985.
- R. E. Hyatt, P. D. Scanlon, and M. Nakamura, Interpretation of Pulmonary Function Tests, Lippincott-Raven, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- J. Stocks and P. H. Quanjer, “Reference values for residual volume, functional residual capacity and total lung capacity: ATS Workshop on Lung Volume Measurements Official Statement of the European Respiratory Society,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 492–506, 1995.
- N. J. Morrison, R. T. Abboud, F. Ramadan et al., “Comparison of single breath carbon monoxide diffusing capacity and pressure-volume curves in detecting emphysema,” The American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 1179–1187, 1989.
- A. Miller and A. Palecki, “Restrictive impairment in patients with asthma,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 272–276, 2007.
- R. E. Hyatt, C. T. Cowl, J. A. Bjoraker, and P. D. Scanlon, “Conditions associated with an abnormal nonspecific pattern of pulmonary function tests,” Chest, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 419–424, 2009.
- D. Stǎnescu and C. Veriter, “A normal FEV1/VC ratio does not exclude airway obstruction,” Respiration, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 348–352, 2004.
- V. N. Iyer, D. R. Schroeder, K. O. Parker, R. E. Hyatt, and P. D. Scanlon, “The nonspecific pulmonary function test: longitudinal follow-up and outcomes,” Chest, vol. 139, no. 4, pp. 878–886, 2011.
- D. Stǎnescu, “Small airways obstruction syndrome,” Chest, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 231–233, 1999.