- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 539290, 7 pages
Is Health-Related Quality of Life Associated with Upper and Lower Airway Inflammation in Asthmatics?
1Dipartimento Biomedico di Medicina Interna e Specialistica (DIBIMIS), Sezione di Pneumologia, University of Palermo, 90146 Palermo, Italy
2Allergy & Respiratory Diseases Clinic, DIMI, University of Genoa, IRCCS AOU San Martino-IST, 16132 Genova, Italy
3Dipartimento di Medicina e Chirurgia, University of Salerno, 84081 Salerno, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 29 July 2013
Academic Editor: Surinder K. Jindal
Copyright © 2013 Nicola Scichilone et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “National Institutes of Health NH Lung and Blood Institute: Global Strategy for asthma management and prevention (Updated 2011): Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA),” 2011, http://www.ginasthma.org.
- M. S. Blaiss, “Rhinitis-asthma connection: epidemiologic and pathophysiologic basis,” Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2005.
- F. Braido, I. Baiardini, S. Menoni et al., “Patients with asthma and comorbid allergic rhinitis: is optimal quality of life achievable in real life?” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 2, Article ID e31178, 2012.
- B. Leynaert, C. Neukirch, R. Liard, J. Bousquet, and F. Neukirch, “Quality of life in allergic rhinitis and asthma: a population-based study of young adults,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 162, no. 4, pp. 1391–1396, 2000.
- A. Linneberg, N. Henrik Nielsen, L. Frølund, F. Madsen, A. Dirksen, and T. Jørgensen, “The link between allergic rhinitis and allergic asthma: a prospective population-based study. The Copenhagen Allergy Study,” Allergy, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1048–1052, 2002.
- G.-J. Braunstahl and W. Fokkens, “Nasal involvement in allergic asthma,” Allergy, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 1235–1243, 2003.
- J. Bousquet, A. M. Vignola, and P. Demoly, “Links between rhinitis and asthma,” Allergy, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 691–706, 2003.
- F. Braido, I. Baiardini, S. Balestracci et al., “Does asthma control correlate with quality of life related to upper and lower airways? A real life study,” Allergy, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 937–943, 2009.
- J. Bousquet, N. Khaltaev, A. A. Cruz et al., “Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) 2008 update (in collaboration with the World Health Organization, GA2LEN and AllerGen),” Allergy, vol. 63, s86, pp. 8–160, 2008.
- R. A. Nathan, C. A. Sorkness, M. Kosinski et al., “Development of the Asthma Control Test: a survey for assessing asthma control,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 2004.
- R. Pellegrino, G. Viegi, V. Brusasco et al., “Interpretative strategies for lung function tests,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 948–968, 2005.
- American Thoracic Society, European Respiratory Society, “ATS/ERS recommendations for standardized procedures for the online and offline measurement of exhaled lower respiratory nitric oxide and nasal nitric oxide,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 171, pp. 912–930, 2005.
- I. Horváth, J. Hunt, and P. J. Barnes, “On behalf of the ATS/ERS Task Force on Exhaled Breath Condensate. Exhaled breath condensate: methodological recommendations and unresolved questions,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 26, pp. 523–548, 2005.
- N. Scichilone, R. Arrigo, A. Paterno et al., “The effect of intranasal corticosteroids on asthma control and quality of life in allergic rhinitis with mild asthma,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 2011.
- I. Urrutia, U. Aguirre, S. Pascual et al., “Impact of anxiety and depression on disease control and quality of life in asthma patients,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 201–208, 2012.
- E. O. Meltzer, G. N. Gross, R. Katial, and W. W. Storms, “Allergic rhinitis substantially impacts patient quality of life: findings from the Nasal Allergy Survey Assessing Limitations,” The Journal of Family Practice, vol. 61, no. 2, supplement, pp. S5–S10, 2012.
- I. Baiardini, M. Pasquali, A. Giardini et al., “Rhinasthma: a new specific QoL questionnaire for patients with rhinitis and asthma,” Allergy, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 289–294, 2003.
- K. Alving, E. Weitzberg, and J. M. Lundberg, “Increased amount of nitric oxide in exhaled air of asthmatics,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 1368–1370, 1993.
- A. Fischer, G. Folkerts, P. Geppetti, and D. A. Groneberg, “Mediators of asthma: nitric oxide,” Pulmonary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 73–81, 2002.
- A. Jatakanon, S. Lim, S. A. Kharitonov, K. F. Chung, and P. J. Barnes, “Correlation between exhaled nitric oxide, sputum eosinophils, and methacholine responsiveness in patients with mild asthma,” Thorax, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 91–95, 1998.
- I. H. van Veen, P. J. Sterk, R. Schot et al., “Alveolar nitric oxide versus measures of peripheral airway dysfunction in severe asthma,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 951–956, 2006.
- P. A. Williamson, K. Clearie, D. Menzies, S. Vaidyanathan, and B. J. Lipworth, “Assessment of small-airways disease using alveolar nitric oxide and impulse oscillometry in asthma and COPD,” Lung, vol. 189, no. 2, pp. 121–129, 2011.
- H. W. Kelly, “Alveolar nitric oxide concentration, small airways inflammation, and targeted asthma therapy: are we there yet?” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 736–737, 2010.
- J. R. Johnson and Q. Hamid, “Appraising the small airways in asthma,” Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 18, pp. 23–28, 2012.
- M. K. Tulic, P. Christodoulopoulos, and Q. Hamid, “Small airway inflammation in asthma,” Respiratory Research, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 333–339, 2001.