- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 549037, 8 pages
Stability and Accuracy Assessment of Identification of Traditional Chinese Materia Medica Using DNA Barcoding: A Case Study on Flos Lonicerae Japonicae
1Institute of Medicinal Plant Development (IMPLAD), Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences & Peking Union Medical College, No. 151 Malianwa North Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100193, China
2Agricultural College, Henan University of Science and Technology, Luoyang, Henan 471003, China
3Jiangsu Kanion Pharmaceutical Co. LTD, Lianyungang, Jiangsu 222001, China
4State Key Laboratory of New-Tech for Chinese Medicine Pharmaceutical Process, Lianyungang 222001, China
5College of Chinese Medicine, Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Jinan 250355, China
6Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100102, China
Received 28 February 2013; Revised 8 May 2013; Accepted 22 May 2013
Academic Editor: H. M. Häggman
Copyright © 2013 Dianyun Hou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Park, S. Kum, C. Wang, S. Y. Park, B. S. Kim, and G. Schuller-Levis, “Anti-inflammatory activity of herbal medicines: inhibition of nitric oxide production and tumor necrosis factor-α secretion in an activated macrophage-like cell line,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 415–424, 2005.
- H. Lu, Y. Jiang, and F. Chen, “Application of preparative high-speed counter-current chromatography for separation of chlorogenic acid from Flos Lonicerae,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1026, no. 1-2, pp. 185–190, 2004.
- C. Choi, A. J. Hyun, S. K. Sam, and S. C. Jae, “Antioxidant constituents and a new triterpenoid glycoside from Flos Lonicerae,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2007.
- Y. Yuan, L. P. Song, M. H. Li, et al., “Genetic variation and metabolic pathway intricacy govern the active compound content and quality of the Chinese medicinal plant Lonicera japonica thumb,” BMC Genomics, vol. 13, article 195, 2012.
- H. Yoo, H. Kang, S. S. Yun, E. Park, and C. Lim, “Anti-angiogenic, antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of Lonicera japonica extract,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 779–786, 2008.
- Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission, The Pharmacopoeia of the People’s Republic of China, Volume 1, China Medical Science Press, Beijing, China, 2010.
- H. Ko, B. Wei, and W. Chiou, “The effect of medicinal plants used in Chinese folk medicine on RANTES secretion by virus-infected human epithelial cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 205–210, 2006.
- J. H. Jin, L. Hyun, S. Y. Kwon, K. H. Son, and H. P. Kim, “Anti-inflammatory activity of the total flavonoid fraction from Broussonetia papyrifera in combination with Lonicera japonica,” Biomolecules and Therapeutics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 197–204, 2010.
- J. Tian, H. L. Che, D. Ha, Y. P. Wei, and S. Y. Zheng, “Characterization and anti-allergic effect of a polysaccharide from the flower buds of Lonicera japonica,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 90, pp. 1642–1647, 2012.
- H. Cao, Z. Liu, P. Steinmann, Y. Mu, H. Luo, and J. Liu, “Chinese herbal medicines for treatment of hand, foot and mouth disease: a systematic review of randomized clinical trials,” European Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. e85–e111, 2012.
- L. Lin, Y. Xu, D. He et al., “A retrospective study on clinical features of and treatment methods for 77 severe cases of SARS,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 821–839, 2003.
- X. H. Li, K. Zhang, J. H. Hu, et al., “Clinical evaluation of integrative Chinese and western medicine in treating SARS,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 9, pp. 181–184, 2003.
- X. Shang, H. Pan, M. Li, X. Miao, and H. Ding, “Lonicera japonica Thunb.: ethnopharmacology, phytochemistry and pharmacology of an important traditional Chinese medicine,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 1–21, 2011.
- M. Li, K. Wong, W. Chan et al., “Establishment of DNA barcodes for the identification of the botanical sources of the Chinese “cooling” beverage,” Food Control, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 758–766, 2012.
- S. Chung, F. Cheng, M. Lee, J. Lin, M. Lin, and M. Wang, “Ginkgo biloba leaf extract (EGb761) combined with neuroprotective agents reduces the infarct volumes of gerbil ischemic brain,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 803–817, 2006.
- C. Wang, P. Li, J. Ding, A. Fishbein, and C. Yuan, “Discrimination of Lonicera japonica THUNB. from different geographical origins using restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 779–782, 2007.
- X. Peng, W. Li, W. Wang, and G. Bai, “Identification of Lonicera japonica by PCR-RFLP and allele-specific diagnostic PCR based on sequences of internal transcribed spacer regions,” Planta Medica, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 497–499, 2010.
- S. Fu, T. Zhang, J. Lü, J. Guo, H. Yuan, and X. Xiao, “Comparison of microcalorimetric fingerprint profiles of Lonicerae Japonicae Flos and Lonicerae Flos,” Yaoxue Xuebao, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 1251–1256, 2011.
- C. Jiang, Y. Yuan, G. M. Liu et al., “EST-SSR identification of Lonicera japonica Thunb,” Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica, vol. 47, pp. 803–810, 2012.
- J. J. Li, J. F. Li, J. Y. Li, Y. Q. Zhou, and X. J. Chen, “Identification methods of Lonicera japonica and Lonicera confusa,” Journal of Henan Agricultural Sciences, vol. 40, pp. 134–137, 2011.
- P. Li, C. H. Cai, and J. P. Xing, “Preliminary attempt to identify geoherbalism of Flos Lonicerae by sequence divergence of 5S-rRNA gene spacer region,” Chinese Traditional and Herbal Drugs, vol. 32, pp. 834–837, 2001.
- P. D. N. Hebert, S. Ratnasingham, and J. R. DeWaard, “Barcoding animal life: cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 divergences among closely related species,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 270, no. 1, pp. S96–S99, 2003.
- P. D. N. Hebert, A. Cywinska, S. L. Ball, and J. R. DeWaard, “Biological identifications through DNA barcodes,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 270, no. 1512, pp. 313–321, 2003.
- R. Lahaye, M. Van Der Bank, D. Bogarin et al., “DNA barcoding the floras of biodiversity hotspots,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 8, pp. 2923–2928, 2008.
- D. L. Erickson, J. Spouge, A. Resch, L. A. Weigt, and W. J. Kress, “DNA barcoding in land plants: developing standards to quantify and maximize success,” Taxon, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 1304–1316, 2008.
- P. M. Hollingsworth, L. L. Forrest, J. L. Spouge et al., “A DNA barcode for land plants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 31, pp. 12794–12797, 2009.
- S. Chen, H. Yao, J. Han et al., “Validation of the ITS2 region as a novel DNA barcode for identifying medicinal plant species,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 1, Article ID e8613, 2010.
- H. Yao, J. Song, C. Liu et al., “Use of ITS2 region as the universal DNA barcode for plants and animals,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 10, Article ID e13102, 2010.
- K. Luo, S. L. Chen, K. L. Chen et al., “Assessment of candidate plant DNA barcodes using the Rutaceae family,” Science China Life Sciences, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 701–708, 2010.
- L. Shi, J. Zhang, J. Han et al., “Testing the potential of proposed DNA barcodes for species identification of Zingiberaceae,” Journal of Systematics and Evolution, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 261–266, 2011.
- T. Gao, H. Yao, J. Song, Y. Zhu, C. Liu, and S. Chen, “Evaluating the feasibility of using candidate DNA barcodes in discriminating species of the large Asteraceae family,” BMC Evolutionary Biology, vol. 10, no. 1, article 324, 2010.
- C. Zhang, F. Wang, H. Yan, G. Hao, C. Hu, and X. Ge, “Testing DNA barcoding in closely related groups of Lysimachia L. (Myrsinaceae),” Molecular Ecology Resources, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 98–108, 2012.
- Y. Liu, L. Zhang, Z. Liu, K. Luo, S. Chen, and K. Chen, “Species identification of Rhododendron (Ericaceae) using the chloroplast deoxyribonucleic acid PsbA-trnH genetic marker,” Pharmacognosy Magazine, vol. 8, no. 29, pp. 29–36, 2012.
- A. Ebihara, J. H. Nitta, and M. Ito, “Molecular species identification with rich floristic sampling: DNA barcoding the pteridophyte flora of Japan,” PLoS ONE, vol. 12, Article ID e15136, 2010.
- W. J. Kress, D. L. Erickson, N. G. Swenson, J. Thompson, M. Uriarte, and J. K. Zimmerman, “Advances in the use of DNA barcodes to build a community phylogeny for tropical trees in a Puerto Rican forest dynamics plot,” PloS ONE, vol. 5, no. 11, p. e15409, 2010.
- K. M. Pryer, E. Schuettpelz, L. Huiet et al., “DNA barcoding exposes a case of mistaken identity in the fern horticultural trade,” Molecular Ecology Resources, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 979–985, 2010.
- P. D. N. Hebert, E. H. Penton, J. M. Burns, D. H. Janzen, and W. Hallwachs, “Ten species in one: DNA barcoding reveals cryptic species in the neotropical skipper butterfly Astraptes fulgerator,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 41, pp. 14812–14817, 2004.
- S. Ragupathy, S. G. Newmaster, M. Murugesan, and V. Balasubramaniam, “DNA barcoding discriminates a new cryptic grass species revealed in an ethnobotany study by the hill tribes of the Western Ghats in southern India,” Molecular Ecology Resources, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 164–171, 2009.
- China Plant BOL Group, “Comparative analysis of a large dataset indicates that internal transcribed spacer (ITS) should be incorporated into the core barcode for seed plants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 49, pp. 19641–19646, 2011.
- M. Miao, A. Warren, W. Song, S. Wang, H. Shang, and Z. Chen, “Analysis of the internal transcribed spacer 2 (ITS2) region of Scuticociliates and related taxa (Ciliophora, Oligohymenophorea) to infer their evolution and phylogeny,” Protist, vol. 159, no. 4, pp. 519–533, 2008.
- J. Schultz and M. Wolf, “ITS2 sequence-structure analysis in phylogenetics: a how-to manual for molecular systematics,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 520–523, 2009.
- W. J. Kress, K. J. Wurdack, E. A. Zimmer, L. A. Weigt, and D. H. Janzen, “Use of DNA barcodes to identify flowering plants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 23, pp. 8369–8374, 2005.
- H. Yao, J. Song, X. Ma et al., “Identification of Dendrobium species by a candidate DNA barcode sequence: the chloroplast PsbA-trnH intergenic region,” Planta Medica, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 667–669, 2009.
- J. Song, H. Yao, Y. Li et al., “Authentication of the family Polygonaceae in Chinese pharmacopoeia by DNA barcoding technique,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 434–439, 2009.
- X. Ma, C. Xie, C. Liu et al., “Species identification of medicinal pteridophytes by a DNA barcode marker, the chloroplast PsbA-trnH intergenic region,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1919–1924, 2010.
- Z. Sun, T. Gao, H. Yao, L. Shi, Y. Zhu, and S. Chen, “Identification of Lonicera japonica and its related species using the DNA barcoding method,” Planta Medica, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 301–306, 2011.
- C. Koetschan, F. Förster, A. Keller et al., “The ITS2 Database III—sequences and structures for phylogeny,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. D275–D279, 2010.
- K. Tamura, D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2731–2739, 2011.
- C. P. Meyer and G. Paulay, “DNA barcoding: error rates based on comprehensive sampling,” PLoS Biology, vol. 3, pp. 2229–2238, 2005.
- T. Gao, H. Yao, J. Song et al., “Identification of medicinal plants in the family Fabaceae using a potential DNA barcode ITS2,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 116–121, 2011.
- H. A. Ross, S. Murugan, and W. L. S. Li, “Testing the reliability of genetic methods of species identification via simulation,” Systematic Biology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 216–230, 2008.
- P. Taberlet, E. Coissac, F. Pompanon et al., “Power and limitations of the chloroplast trnL (UAA) intron for plant DNA barcoding,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, no. 3, article e14, 2007.
- H. Stockinger, M. Krüger, and A. Schüßler, “DNA barcoding of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi,” New Phytologist, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 461–474, 2010.
- X. Pang, J. Song, Y. Zhu, H. Xu, L. Huang, and S. Chen, “Applying plant DNA barcodes for Rosaceae species identification,” Cladistics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 165–170, 2011.
- T. Y. Xin, H. Yao, K. Luo, et al., “Stability and accuracy of the identification of Notopterygii Rhizoma et Radix using the ITS/ITS2 barcodes,” Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica, vol. 47, pp. 1098–1105, 2012.
- D. Y. Hou, J. Y. Song, H. Yao, et al., “Molecular identification of Corni Fructus and its adulterants by ITS/ITS2 sequences,” Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 11, pp. 121–127, 2013.
- X. H. Pang, J. Y. Song, H. B. Xu, and H. Yao, “Using ITS2 barcode to identify ephedrae herba,” China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 37, pp. 1118–1121, 2012.
- I. Álvarez and J. F. Wendel, “Ribosomal ITS sequences and plant phylogenetic inference,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 417–434, 2003.
- A. W. Coleman, “Pan-eukaryote ITS2 homologies revealed by RNA secondary structure,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 3322–3329, 2007.
- J. Y. Song, L. C. Shi, D. Z. Li, et al., “Extensive pyrosequencing reveals frequent intra-genomic variations of internal transcribed spacer regions of nuclear ribosomal DNA,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e43971, 2012.