- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 629607, 10 pages
Microbiological Profile of Adenoid Hypertrophy Correlates to Clinical Diagnosis in Children
1Department of Medical Microbiology, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, Nagyerdei Krt. 98, Debrecen 4032, Hungary
2Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, Nagyerdei Krt. 98, Debrecen 4032, Hungary
3Department of Rheumatology, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, Nagyerdei Krt. 98, Debrecen 4032, Hungary
Received 24 April 2013; Accepted 23 August 2013
Academic Editor: Ralph Mösges
Copyright © 2013 Anita Szalmás et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. L. Marseglia, D. Caimmi, F. Pagella et al., “Adenoids during childhood: the facts,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1–5, 2011.
- J. M. Bernstein, “Waldeyer's ring and otitis media: the nasopharyngeal tonsil and otitis media,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 127–132, 1999.
- M. Cunningham, E. Guardiani, H. J. Kim, and I. Brook, “Otitis media,” Future Microbiology, vol. 7, pp. 733–753, 2012.
- A. D. Goldbart and A. Tal, “Inflammation and sleep disordered breathing in children: a state-of-the-art review,” Pediatric Pulmonology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1151–1160, 2008.
- R. Arens and C. L. Marcus, “Pathophysiology of upper airway obstruction: a developmental perspective,” Sleep, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 997–1019, 2004.
- G. A. Zielhuis, G. H. Rach, and P. van den Broek, “The occurrence of otitis media with effusion in Dutch pre-school children,” Clinical Otolaryngology and Allied Sciences, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 147–153, 1990.
- M. B. Ugur, S. M. Dogan, A. Sogut et al., “Effect of adenoidectomy and/or tonsillectomy on cardiac functions in children with obstructive sleep apnea,” Otorhinolaryngology and Its Related Specialties, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 202–208, 2008.
- J. L. Paradise, C. D. Bluestone, K. D. Rogers et al., “Efficacy of adenoidectomy for recurrent otitis media in children previously treated with tympanostomy-tube placement. Results of parallel randomized and nonrandomized trials,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 263, no. 15, pp. 2066–2073, 1990.
- G. Saylam, E. Ç. Tatar, I. Tatar, A. Özdek, and H. Korkmaz, “Association of adenoid surface biofilm formation and chronic otitis media with effusion,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 136, no. 6, pp. 550–555, 2010.
- K. Daly, G. S. Giebink, C. T. Le et al., “Determining risk for chronic otitis media with effusion,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 471–475, 1988.
- P. S. Roland, T. Finitzo, S. Friel-Patti et al., “Otitis media. Incidence, duration, and hearing status,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 115, no. 9, pp. 1049–1053, 1989.
- M. Greenfeld, R. Tauman, A. DeRowe, and Y. Sivan, “Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome due to adenotonsillar hypertrophy in infants,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 1055–1060, 2003.
- M. Alkhalil and R. Lockey, “Pediatric obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) for the allergist: update on the assessment and management,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 104–109, 2011.
- L. Hafrén, E. Kentala, T. M. Järvinen et al., “Genetic background and the risk of otitis media,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 41–44, 2012.
- P. Cassano and M. Cassano, “Otitis media and immunological alterations of Waldeyer's ring,” Advances in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 72, pp. 164–169, 2011.
- J. M. Bernstein, “Immunologic reactivity in the middle ear in otitis media with effusion,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 845–858, 1991.
- L. Nistico, R. Kreft, A. Gieseke et al., “Adenoid reservoir for pathogenic biofilm bacteria,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1411–1420, 2011.
- J. L. Proenca-Modena, F. C. P. Valera, M. G. Jacob et al., “High rates of detection of respiratory viruses in tonsillar tissues from children with chronic adenotonsillar disease,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e42136, 2012.
- L. Drago, S. Esposito, E. De Vecchi et al., “Detection of respiratory viruses and atypical bacteria in children's tonsils and adenoids,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 369–370, 2008.
- S. Rezes, K. Késmárki, S. Sipka, and I. Sziklai, “Characterization of otitis media with effusion based on the ratio of albumin and immunoglobulin G concentrations in the effusion,” Otology and Neurotology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 663–667, 2007.
- E. Macassey and P. Dawes, “Biofilms and their role in otorhinolaryngological disease,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 122, no. 12, pp. 1273–1278, 2008.
- K. A. Al-Mazrou and A. S. Al-Khattaf, “Adherent biofilms in adenotonsillar diseases in children,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 20–23, 2008.
- R. E. Kania, G. E. M. Lamers, M. J. Vonk et al., “Characterization of mucosal biofilms on human adenoid tissues,” Laryngoscope, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 128–134, 2008.
- J. Coticchia, G. Zuliani, C. Coleman et al., “Biofilm surface area in the pediatric nasopharynx: chronic rhinosinusitis vs obstructive sleep apnea,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 110–114, 2007.
- L. Tóth, P. Csomor, I. Sziklai, and T. Karosi, “Biofilm detection in chronic rhinosinusitis by combined application of hematoxylin-eosin and gram staining,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 268, no. 10, pp. 1455–1462, 2011.
- E. L. Tonnaer, G. T. Rijkers, J. F. Meis et al., “Genetic relatedness between pneumococcal populations originating from the nasopharynx, adenoid, and tympanic cavity of children with otitis media,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 3140–3144, 2005.
- S. Rezes, M. Söderlund-Venermo, M. Roivainen et al., “Human bocavirus and rhino-enteroviruses in childhood otitis media with effusion,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 234–237, 2009.
- N. Clément, G. Battaglioli, R. L. Jensen et al., “Prevalence of human bocavirus in human tonsils and adenoids,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1149–1150, 2009.
- C. T. Garnett, G. Talekar, J. A. Mahr et al., “Latent species C adenoviruses in human tonsil tissues,” Journal of Virology, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 2417–2428, 2009.
- N. Soh, D. Nadal, J. M. Bernstein, E. Schlapfer, and P. L. Ogra, “Immunologic response of adenoidal lymphocytes to respiratory syncytial virus,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 101, no. 10 I, pp. 848–853, 1992.