- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 680605, 12 pages
Antagonistic Activity of Lactobacillus Isolates against Salmonella typhi In Vitro
1Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Modern Sciences and Arts University, Cairo 12611, Egypt
2Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ain Shams University, Al Khalifa Al Maamoun Street, Abbassia, Cairo 11566, Egypt
3Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology, College of Pharmacy, Taif University, Saudi Arabia
Received 16 April 2013; Revised 16 July 2013; Accepted 13 August 2013
Academic Editor: Stanley Brul
Copyright © 2013 Amira Abdel-Daim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Srivastava and P. Aggarwal, “Multidrug resistant Salmonella typhi in Delhi,” Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 12, pp. 102–105, 1994.
- C. M. Parry, T. T. Hein, G. Dougan, N. J. White, and J. J. Farrar, “Typhoid fever,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 22, pp. 1770–1782, 2002.
- S. P. Borriello, W. P. Hammes, W. Holzapfel et al., “Safety of probiotics that contain lactobacilli or bifidobacteria,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 775–780, 2003.
- S. Ahrné, S. Nobaek, B. Jeppsson, I. Adlerberth, A. E. Wold, and G. Molin, “The normal Lactobacillus flora of healthy human rectal and oral mucosa,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 88–94, 1998.
- A. Andreu, A. E. Stapleton, C. L. Fennell, S. L. Hillier, and W. E. Stamm, “Hemagglutination, adherence, and surface properties of vaginal Lactobacillus species,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 171, no. 5, pp. 1237–1243, 1995.
- A. Giorgi, S. Torriani, F. Dellaglio, G. Bo, E. Stola, and L. Bernuzzi, “Identification of vaginal lactobacilli from asymptomatic women,” Microbiologica, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 377–384, 1987.
- W. H. Holzapfel, P. Haberer, J. Snel, U. Schillinger, and J. H. Huis in't Veld, “Overview of gut flora and probiotics,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 85–101, 1998.
- G. W. Tannock, “Analysis of the intestinal microflora: a renaissance,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, vol. 76, no. 1–4, pp. 265–278, 1999.
- I. M. Helander, A. von Wright, and T.-M. Mattila-Sandholm, “Potential of lactic acid bacteria and novel antimicrobials against gram-negative bacteria,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 146–150, 1997.
- J. Magnusson, K. Ström, S. Roos, J. Sjögren, and J. Schnürer, “Broad and complex antifungal activity among environmental isolates of lactic acid bacteria,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 219, no. 1, pp. 129–135, 2003.
- A. L. Servin, “Antagonistic activities of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria against microbial pathogens,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 405–440, 2004.
- F. Valerio, P. Lavermicocca, M. Pascale, and A. Visconti, “Production of phenyllactic acid by lactic acid bacteria: an approach to the selection of strains contributing to food quality and preservation,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 233, no. 2, pp. 289–295, 2004.
- T. Arvola, K. Laiho, S. Torkkeli et al., “Prophylactic Lactobacillus GG reduces antibiotic-associated diarrhea in children with respiratory infections: a randomized study,” Pediatrics, vol. 104, no. 5, article e64, 1999.
- R. B. Canani, P. Cirillo, G. Terrin et al., “Probiotics for treatment of acute diarrhoea in children: randomised clinical trial of five different preparations,” British Medical Journal, vol. 335, no. 7615, pp. 340–342, 2007.
- G. Reid, J. Jass, M. T. Sebulsky, and J. K. McCormick, “Potential uses of probiotics in clinical practice,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 658–672, 2003.
- A. Abdel-Daim, M. Ashor, N. Hassouna, M. Hafez, and M. Aboulwafa, “Screening of Lactobacillus isolates for their probiotic potential,” Archives of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 3, no. 5, 2012.
- M.-C. Plotkowski, A. M. Saliba, S. H. M. Pereira, M. P. Cervante, and O. Bajolet-Laudinat, “Pseudomonas aeruginosa selective adherence to and entry into human endothelial cells,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 5456–5463, 1994.
- M. A. Golowczyc, P. Mobili, G. L. Garrote, A. G. Abraham, and G. L. de Antoni, “Protective action of Lactobacillus kefir carrying S-layer protein against Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 264–273, 2007.
- S. M. J. Fleiszig, T. S. Zaidi, M. J. Preston, M. Grout, D. J. Evans, and G. B. Pier, “Relationship between cytotoxicity and corneal epithelial cell invasion by clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 2288–2294, 1996.
- U. Schillinger and F. K. Lücke, “Antibacterial activity of Lactobacillus sake isolated from meat,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 1901–1906, 1989.
- M.-H. Coconnier, V. Liévin, M.-F. Bernet-Camard, S. Hudault, and A. L. Servin, “Antibacterial effect of the adhering human Lactobacillus acidophilus strain LB,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1046–1052, 1997.
- L. Drago, M. R. Gismondo, A. Lombardi, C. De Haën, and L. Gozzini, “Inhibition of in vitro growth of enteropathogens by new Lactobacillus isolates of human intestinal origin,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 455–463, 1997.
- D. I. Henry, “Broth microdilution MIC test,” in Clinical Microbiology Procedure Handbook, D. I. Henry, Ed., vol. 2, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- J. M. Andrews, “Determination of minimum inhibitory concentrations,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 5–16, 2001.
- S. Mayrhofer, K. J. Domig, C. Mair, U. Zitz, G. Huys, and W. Kneifel, “Comparison of broth microdilution, Etest, and agar disk diffusion methods for antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Lactobacillus acidophilus group members,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 12, pp. 3745–3748, 2008.
- A. Talwalkar, K. Kailasapathy, P. Peiris, and R. Arumugaswamy, “Application of RBGR—a simple way for screening of oxygen tolerance in probiotic bacteria,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 2-3, pp. 245–248, 2001.
- A. C. Ouwehand, “Antimicrobial components from lactic acid bacteria,” in Lactic Acid Bacteria Microbiology and Functional Aspects, S. Salminen and A. V. Wright, Eds., pp. 139–159, Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- L. de Vuyst and E. J. Vandamme, “Antimicrobial potential of lactic acid bacteria,” in Bacteriocins of Lactic Acid Bacteria: Microbiology, Genetics and Applications, L. de Vuyst and E. J. Vandamme, Eds., pp. 91–142, Blackie, London, UK, 1994.
- P. Hütt, J. Shchepetova, K. Lõivukene, T. Kullisaar, and M. Mikelsaar, “Antagonistic activity of probiotic lactobacilli and bifidobacteria against entero- and uropathogens,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1324–1332, 2006.
- C. K. Lin, H. C. Tsai, P. P. Lin, H. Y. Tsen, and C. C. Tsai, “Lactobacillus acidophilus LAP5 able to inhibit the Salmonella choleraesuis invasion to the human Caco-2 epithelial cell,” Anaerobe, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 251–255, 2008.
- H. Annuk, J. Shchepetova, T. Kullisaar, E. Songisepp, M. Zilmer, and M. Mikelsaar, “Characterization of intestinal lactobacilli as putative probiotic candidates,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 403–412, 2003.
- A. C. Ouwehand and S. Vesterlund, “Antimicrobial components from lactic acid bacteria,” in Lactic Acid Bacteria: Microbiological and Functional Aspects, S. Salminen, A. V. Wright, and A. C. Ouwehand, Eds., pp. 375–395, Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2004.
- S. C. J. de Keersmaecker, T. L. A. Verhoeven, J. Desair, K. Marchal, J. Vanderleyden, and I. Nagy, “Strong antimicrobial activity of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG against Salmonella typhimurium is due to accumulation of lactic acid,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 259, no. 1, pp. 89–96, 2006.
- D. Fayol-Messaoudi, C. N. Berger, M.-H. Coconnier-Polter, V. Liévin-Le Moal, and A. L. Servin, “pH-, lactic acid-, and non-lactic acid-dependent activities of probiotic lactobacilli against Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 6008–6013, 2005.
- S. I. Cook and J. H. Sellin, “Review article: short chain fatty acids in health and disease,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 499–507, 1998.
- M. Millette, F. M. Luquet, and M. Lacroix, “In vitro growth control of selected pathogens by Lactobacillus acidophilus- and Lactobacillus casei-fermented milk,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 314–319, 2007.
- M. Silva, N. V. Jacobus, C. Deneke, and S. L. Gorbach, “Antimicrobial substance from a human Lactobacillus strain,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1231–1233, 1987.
- M. Rammelsberg and F. Radler, “Antibacterial polypeptides of Lactobacillus species,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 177–184, 1990.
- Y.-K. Lee, K.-Y. Puong, A. C. Ouwehand, and S. Salminen, “Displacement of bacterial pathogens from mucus and Caco-2 cell surface by lactobacilli,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 925–930, 2003.
- M.-F. Bernet-Camard, V. Liévin, D. Brassart, J.-R. Neeser, A. L. Servin, and S. Hudault, “The human Lactobacillus acidophilus strain LA1 secretes a nonbacteriocin antibacterial subtance(s) active in vitro and in vivo,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 2747–2753, 1997.
- M.-H. Coconnier, V. Lievin, M. Lorrot, and A. L. Servin, “Antagonistic activity of Lactobacillus acidophilus LB against intracellular Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium infecting human enterocyte-like Caco-2/TC-7 cells,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 1152–1157, 2000.
- V. Lievin, I. Peiffer, S. Hudault et al., “Bifidobacterium strains from resident infant human gastrointestinal microflora exert antimicrobial activity,” Gut, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 646–652, 2000.
- V. L.-L. Moal, R. Amsellem, A. L. Servin, and M.-H. Coconnier, “Lactobacillus acidophilus (strain LB) from the resident adult human gastrointestinal microflora exerts activity against brush border damage promoted by a diarrhoeagenic Escherichia coli in human enterocyte-like cells,” Gut, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 803–811, 2002.
- P. A. Maragkoudakis, G. Zoumpopouloua, C. Miarisa, G. Kalantzopoulosa, B. Potb, and E. Tsakalidoua, “Probiotic potential of Lactobacillus strains isolated from dairy products,” International Dairy Journal, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 189–199, 2006.
- S. A. Carlson and B. D. Jones, “Inhibition of Salmonella typhimurium invasion by host cell expression of secreted bacterial invasion proteins,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 5295–5300, 1998.
- M.-H. Coconnier-Polter, V. Liévin-Le Moal, and A. L. Servin, “A Lactobacillus acidophilus strain of human gastrointestinal microbiota origin elicits killing of enterovirulent Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium by triggering lethal bacterial membrane damage,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 6115–6120, 2005.
- L. Makras, V. Triantafyllou, D. Fayol-Messaoudi et al., “Kinetic analysis of the antibacterial activity of probiotic lactobacilli towards Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium reveals a role for lactic acid and other inhibitory compounds,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 241–247, 2006.
- E. Parente and A. Ricciardi, “Production, recovery and purification of bacteriocins from lactic acid bacteria,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 628–638, 1999.
- P. Mastromarino, P. Brigidi, S. Macchia et al., “Characterization and selection of vaginal Lactobacillus strains for the preparation of vaginal tablets,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 884–893, 2002.
- K. M. Burkholder and A. K. Bhunia, “Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium adhesion and cytotoxicity during epithelial cell stress is reduced by Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG,” Gut Pathogens, vol. 1, article 14, 2009.
- A. Talwalkar and K. Kailasapathy, “Metabolic and biochemical responses of probiotic bacteria to oxygen,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 86, no. 8, pp. 2537–2546, 2003.
- J. C. Brunner, H. Spillman, and Z. Puhan, “Metabolism and survival of bifidobacteria in fermented milk during cold storage,” Milchwirtschaftliche-Forschung, vol. 22, pp. 19–25, 1993.
- F. A. M. Klaver, F. Kingma, and A. H. Weerkamp, “Growth and survival of bifidobacteria in milk,” Netherlands Milk and Dairy Journal, vol. 47, no. 3-4, pp. 151–164, 1993.
- R. I. Dave and N. P. Shah, “Effectiveness of ascorbic acid as an oxygen scavenger in improving viability of probiotic bacteria in yoghurts made with commercial starter cultures,” International Dairy Journal, vol. 7, no. 6-7, pp. 435–443, 1997.
- F. S. Archibald and I. Fridovich, “Manganese, superoxide dismutase, and oxygen tolerance in some lactic acid bacteria,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 928–936, 1981.
- W. S. Kim, L. Perl, J. H. Park, J. E. Tandianus, and N. W. Dunn, “Assessment of stress response of the probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus,” Current Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 346–350, 2001.
- M. C. de Vries, E. E. Vaughan, M. Kleerebezem, and W. M. de Vos, “Lactobacillus plantarum—survival, functional and potential probiotic properties in the human intestinal tract,” International Dairy Journal, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1018–1028, 2006.