- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 689782, 5 pages
Characteristics of Atopic Bronchial Asthma in Seniors over 80 Years of Age
1Clinical Department of Internal Medicine, Dermatology and Allergology, Medical University of Silesia, M. Sklodowskiej-Curie 10, 41-800 Zabrze, Poland
2Clinical Department of Chest Surgery, Medical University of Silesia, 41-880 Zabrze, Poland
3Genetic Laboratory MTD, 80-331 Munchen, Germany
Received 23 April 2013; Revised 1 July 2013; Accepted 1 July 2013
Academic Editor: Fulvio Braido
Copyright © 2013 Andrzej Bożek et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. S. Braman, “Asthma in the elderly,” Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 57–75, 2003.
- D. L. Urso, “Asthma in the elderly,” Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research, vol. 2009, Article ID 858415, 5 pages, 2009.
- E. Stupka and R. deShazo, “Asthma in seniors: part 1. Evidence for underdiagnosis, undertreatment, and increasing morbidity and mortality,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 6–11, 2009.
- G. B. Marks, L. M. Poulos, C. R. Jenkins, and P. G. Gibson, “Asthma in older adults: a holistic, person-centred and problem-oriented approach,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 191, no. 4, pp. 197–199, 2009.
- M. J. King, T. Tamulis, and R. F. Lockey, “Prick puncture skin tests and serum specific IgE as predictors of nasal challenge response to Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus in older adults,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2008.
- C. Janson, J. Anto, P. Burney et al., “The European community respiratory health survey: what are the main results so far?” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 598–611, 2001.
- V. Brusasco, R. Crapo, G. Viegi, American Thoracic Society, and European Respiratory Society, “Coming together: the ATS/ERS consensus on clinical pulmonary function testing,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 153–161, 2005.
- P. Górski and M. Szmit, “Testy prowokacyjne w alergii wziewnej. Komisja ds. Standardów. Zarządu Głównego Polskiego Towarzystwa Alergologicznego, red,” Standardy w Alergologii, vol. 1, pp. 37–43, 2003.
- M. Schatz, C. A. Sorkness, J. T. Li et al., “Asthma control test: reliability, validity, and responsiveness in patients not previously followed by asthma specialists,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 549–556, 2006.
- Global Initiative for Asthma Guidelines: http://www.gina.com/, 2012.
- Pharmacia CAP System FEIA, Manual Brochure, Ver 1. 0, Pharmacia CAP System FEIA, Uppsala, Sweden, 2002.
- J. Kruszewski, “Komisja ds. Standardów Zarządu Głównego Polskiego Towarzystwa Alergologicznego pod red. J. Kruszewskiego:,” Standardy w Alergologii, vol. 1, pp. 9–29, 2003.
- P. E. Silkoff, M. Carlson, T. Bourke, R. Katial, E. Ögren, and S. J. Szefler, “The Aerocrine exhaled nitric oxide monitoring system NIOX is cleared by the US Food and Drug Administration for monitoring therapy in asthma,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 1241–1256, 2004.
- American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society, “ATS/ERS recommendation for stan- dardized procedures for the online and offline measurements of exhaled lower respiratory nitric oxide and nasal nitric oxide,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 171, no. 8, pp. 912–930, 2005.
- E. F. Juniper, “Quality of life in adults and children with asthma and rhinitis,” Allergy, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 971–977, 1997.
- M. J. Connolly, “Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” in Brocklehurst`s Textbook of Geriatrics Medicine and Gerontology, R. C. Tallis and H. M. Fillit, Eds., pp. 489–493, Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- S. H. Chotirmall, M. Watts, P. Branagan, C. F. Donegan, A. Moore, and N. G. McElvaney, “Diagnosis and management of asthma in older adults: progress in geriatrics,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 901–909, 2009.
- C. A. E. Dyer, S. L. Hill, R. A. Stockley, and A. J. Sinclair, “Quality of life in elderly subjects with a diagnostic label of asthma from general practice registers,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 1999.
- R. G. Slavin, T. Haselkorn, J. H. Lee, B. Zheng, Y. Deniz, and S. E. Wenzel, “Asthma in older adults: observations from the epidemiology and natural history of asthma: outcomes and treatment regimens (TENOR) study,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 383–384, 2006.
- M. Wolkewitz, D. Rothenbacher, M. Löw et al., “Lifetime prevalence of self-reported atopic diseases in a population-based sample of elderly subjects: results of the ESTHER study,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 156, no. 4, pp. 693–697, 2007.
- N. E. Cousens, D. P. Goeman, J. A. Douglass, and C. R. Jenkins, “The needs of older people with asthma,” Australian Family physician, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 729–731, 2007.
- S. A. Quadrelli and A. J. Roncoroni, “Is asthma in the elderly really different?” Respiration, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 347–353, 1998.
- S. Yokota, F. Mitsunobu, T. Mifune et al., “Age-related changes of IgE-mediated allergic reaction in patients with late onset asthma. Relationship between IgE-mediated allergy and age at onset,” Japanese Journal of Geriatrics, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 367–373, 1998.
- K. Huss, P. L. Naumann, P. J. Mason et al., “Asthma severity, atopic status, allergen exposure, and quality of life in elderly persons,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 492–493, 2001.
- L. Pezzoli, G. Giardini, S. Consonni et al., “Quality of spirometric performance in older people,” Age and Ageing, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 43–46, 2003.