- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 701439, 9 pages
Embryotoxic and Teratogenic Effects of Nickel in Swiss Albino Mice during Organogenetic Period
1Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302055, India
2Radiation and Cancer Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 17 June 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Qaisar Mahmood
Copyright © 2013 Shivi Saini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Duda-Chodak and U. Błaszczyk, “The impact of nickel on human health,” Journal of Elementology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 685–696, 2008.
- Toxicology Profile for Nickel, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Services. Agency of Toxico Substances and Disease Registry, 1997.
- L. T. Haber, L. Erdreicht, G. L. Diamond et al., “Hazard identification and dose response of inhaled nickel-soluble salts,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 210–230, 2000.
- U. Darsow, M. Fedorov, U. Schwegler et al., “Influence of dietary factors, age and nickel contact dermatitis on nickel excretion,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 351–358, 2012.
- M. Vahter, M. Berglund, A. Åkesson, and C. Lidén, “Metals and women's health,” Environmental Research, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 145–155, 2002.
- R. Pandey, R. Kumar, S. P. Singh, D. K. Saxena, and S. P. Srivastava, “Male reproductive effect of nickel sulphate in mice,” BioMetals, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 339–346, 1999.
- O. Adjroud and S. Mouffok, “Effects of nickel chloride on hematological and developmental parameters in Wistar albino pregnant rats,” Assiut University Bulletin Environmental Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2009.
- O. Adjroud, “The toxic effects of nickel chloride on liver, erythropoiesis, and development in Wistar albino preimplanted rats can be reversed with selenium pretreatment,” Environmental Toxicology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 290–298, 2013.
- A. Vaktskjold, L. V. Talykova, V. P. Chashchin, E. Nieboer, Y. Thomassen, and J. O. Odland, “Genital malformations in newborns of female nickel-refinery workers,” Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 2006.
- A. Vaktskjold, L. V. Talykova, V. P. Chashchin, J. O. Odland, and E. Nieboer, “Maternal nickel exposure and congenital musculoskeletal defects,” American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 825–833, 2008.
- A. Vaktskjold, L. V. Talykova, V. P. Chashchin, J. O. Odland, and E. Nieboer, “Spontaneous abortions among nickel-exposed female refinery workers,” International Journal of Environmental Health Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 99–115, 2008.
- A. Vaktskjold, L. V. Talykova, V. P. Chashchin, J. O. Odland, and E. Nieboer, “Small-for-gestational-age newborns of female refinery workers exposed to nickel,” International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 327–338, 2007.
- M. K. Smith, E. L. George, J. A. Stober, H. A. Feng, and G. L. Kimmel, “Perinatal toxicity associated with nickel chloride exposure,” Environmental Research, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 200–211, 1993.
- R. Käkelä, A. Käkelä, and H. Hyvärinen, “Effects of nickel chloride on reproduction of the rat and possible antagonistic role of selenium,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 27–37, 1999.
- V. H. Ferm, “The teratogenic effects of metals on mammalian embryo,” in Advances in Teratology, D. H. M. Woollam, Ed., pp. 51–75, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1972.
- C. C. Lu, N. Matsumoto, and S. Iijima, “Teratogenic effects of nickel chloride on embryonic mice and its transfer to embryonic mice,” Teratology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 137–142, 1979.
- F. W. Sunderman Jr., S. K. Shen, J. M. Mitchell, et al., “Embryotoxicity and fetal toxicity of nickel in rats,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 381–390, 1978.
- J. Whitaker and K. M. Dix, “Double staining technique for rat foetus skeletons in teratological studies,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 309–310, 1979.
- M. P. Dieter, C. W. Jameson, A. N. Tucker et al., “Evaluation of tissue disposition, myelopoietic, and immunologic responses in mice after long-term exposure to nickel sulfate in the drinking water,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 357–372, 1988.
- M. Cempel and K. Janicka, “Distribution of nickel, zinc, and copper in rat organs after oral administration of nickel(II) chloride,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 90, no. 1–3, pp. 215–226, 2002.
- H. A. Schroeder and M. Mitchener, “Toxic effects of trace elements on the reproduction of mice and rats,” Archives of Environmental Health, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 102–106, 1971.
- R. Storeng and J. Jonsen, “Nickel toxicity in early embryogenesis in mice,” Toxicology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 1981.
- A. Mas, D. Holt, and M. Webb, “The acute toxicity and teratogenicity of nickel in pregnant rats,” Toxicology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 47–57, 1985.
- Q. Ke, T. Davidson, H. Chen, T. Kluz, and M. Costa, “Alterations of histone modifications and transgene silencing by nickel chloride,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1481–1488, 2006.
- H. Chen, T. Davidson, S. Singleton, M. D. Garrick, and M. Costa, “Nickel decreases cellular iron level and converts cytosolic aconitase to iron-regulatory protein 1 in A549 cells,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 206, no. 3, pp. 275–287, 2005.
- N. Marouani, O. Tebourbi, M. Mokni et al., “Embryotoxicity and fetotoxicity following intraperitoneal administrations of hexavalent chromium to pregnant rats,” Zygote, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2011.
- D. N. Hovland Jr., A. F. Machado, W. J. Scott Jr., and M. D. Collons, “Differential sensitivity of the SWV and C57BL/6 mouse strains to the teratogenic action of single administration of cadmium given throughout the period of anterior neuropore closure,” Teratology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 1999.
- D. A. New and P. T. Coppola, “Development of a placental blood circulation in rat embryos in vitro,” Journal of Embryology and Experimental Morphology, vol. 37, pp. 227–235, 1977.
- D. R. Garris, “Intrauterine growth of the guinea pig fetal-placental unit throughout pregnancy: regulation by utero-placental blood flow,” Teratology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 1984.
- M. Inouye, “Teratology of heavy metals: mercury and other contaminants,” Congenital Anomalies, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 333–344, 1989.
- K. T. Szabo, F. J. Guerriero, and Y. J. Kang, “The effects of gold-containing compounds on pregnant rats and their fetuses,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 89–96, 1978.
- T. F. Gale, “The embryotoxic response to maternal chromium trioxide exposure in different strains of hamsters,” Environmental Research, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 196–203, 1982.
- M. Inouye and Y. Kajiwara, “Strain difference of the mouse in manifestation of hydrocephalus following prenatal methylmercury exposure,” Teratology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 205–210, 1990.
- B. H. Choi, R. C. Kim, and N. H. Peckham, “Hydrocephalus following prenatal methylmercury poisoning,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 325–330, 1988.
- M. L. Harrington, R. S. Bagley, and M. P. Moore, “Hydrocephalus,” The Veterinary Clinics of North America. Small Animal Practice, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 843–856, 1996.
- M. Pourghasem, F. Mashayekhi, C. M. Bannister, and J. Miyan, “Changes in the CSF fluid pathways in the developing rat fetus with early onset hydrocephalus,” European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, Supplement, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. S10–S13, 2001.
- A. Dzierzawski, “Embryotoxic and teratogenic effects of phenylmercuric acetate and methylmercuric chloride in hamsters, rats and rabbits,” Polskie Archiwum Weterynaryjne, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 263–287, 1979.
- S. Sharma, U. Mathur, M. R. Saini, M. K. Sharma, M. Kumar, and A. Kumar, “Fetal malformation in Swiss albino mice on exposure to lead during gestation period,” Bulletin of Environmental Science, vol. 19, no. 200, pp. 81–84, 2001.
- F. W. Sunderman Jr., P. R. Allpass, J. M. Mitchell, R. C. Baselt, and D. M. Albert, “Eye malformations in rats: induction by prenatal exposure to nickel carbonyl,” Science, vol. 203, no. 4380, pp. 550–553, 1979.
- B. Włodarczyk, M. Minta, B. Biernacki, J. Szkoda, and J. Zmudzki, “Selenium protection against cadmium toxicity in hamster embryos,” Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 323–327, 2000.
- S. J. Carpenter, “Enhanced teratogenicity of orally administered lead in hamsters fed diets deficient in calcium or iron,” Toxicology, vol. 24, no. 3-4, pp. 259–271, 1982.
- S. B. Harris, J. G. Wilson, and R. H. Printz, “Embryotoxicity of methyl mercuric chloride in golden hamsters,” Teratology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 139–142, 1972.
- R. Padmanabhan and M. S. Hameed, “Characteristics of the limb malformations induced by maternal exposure to cadmium in the mouse,” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 291–304, 1990.
- M. Abdollahi, M. S. Chafjiri, N. Ostad, and M. Shariatpanahi, “Skeletal and external teratogenic effects of cadmium during gestation in rats,” Acta Medica Iranica, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 117–121, 1998.
- M. Yamaguchi and Y. Ehara, “Effect of essential trace metal on bone metabolism in the femoral-metaphyseal tissues of rats with skeletal unloading: comparison with zinc-chelating dipeptide,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1996.
- J. E. Gough and S. Downes, “Osteoblast cell death on methacrylate polymers involves apoptosis,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 497–505, 2001.
- A. Kapanen, J. Ilvesaro, A. Danilov, J. Ryhänen, P. Lehenkari, and J. Tuukkanen, “Behaviour of Nitinol in osteoblast-like ROS-17 cell cultures,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 645–650, 2002.
- H. Chovancová, M. Martiniaková, R. Omelka, B. Grosskopf, and R. Toman, “Structural changes in femoral bone tissue of rats after intraperitoneal administration of nickel,” Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 1147–1152, 2011.