- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 739010, 8 pages
The Italian National External Quality Assessment Program in Molecular Genetic Testing: Results of the VII Round (2010-2011)
1National Centre of Rare Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanità, 00161 Rome, Italy
2E. O. Ospedali Galliera, S.C. Laboratorio di Genetica, 16128 Genova, Italy
3Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Biotecnologie, Università di Cagliari, 09121 Cagliari, Italy
4SOD Diagnostica, AOU Careggi, 50134 Firenze, Italy
5Unit of Molecular Bases of Genetic Risk and Genetic Testing, Department of Preventive and Predictive Medicine, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, 20133 Milan, Italy
6Department of Reproduction and Growth, Operative Unit of Medical Genetics, University Hospital S. Anna, Ferrara, Italy
7Department of Public Health, Clinical and Molecular Medicine, University of Cagliari, 09121 Cagliari, Italy
8Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche ed Oncologia Umana, University of Bari, 70124 Bari, Italy
9Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Cusano Milanino, 20135 Milano, Italy
10Laboratorio di Genetica Medica, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico Ca' Granda Ospedale, Milano, Italy
11Unit of Hereditary Cancer, Department of Epidemiology, Prevention and Special Functions, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro (IST), Genova, Italy
Received 26 October 2012; Revised 21 December 2012; Accepted 28 December 2012
Academic Editor: Ozgur Cogulu
Copyright © 2013 F. Censi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Libeer, “Role of external quality assurance schemes in assessing and improving quality in medical laboratories,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 309, no. 2, pp. 173–177, 2001.
- Conferenza Stato-Regioni 15 luglio 2004.
- OECD, Guidelines for Quality Assurance in Molecular Genetic Testing, OECD, Paris, France, 2007.
- R. J. Hastings and R. T. Howell, “The importance and value of EQA for diagnostic genetic laboratories,” Journal of Community Genetics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2010.
- S. Berwouts, E. Girodon, M. Schwarz, et al., “Improvement of interpretation in cystic fibrosis clinical laboratory reports: longitudinal analysis of external quality assessment data,” European Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1209–1215, 2012.
- Guidelines for Genetic Tests, 1999—Linee Guida per i test genetici, http://www.cnmr.iss.it/lgui, 1999.
- S. C. Ramsden, Z. Deans, D. O. Robinson et al., “Monitoring standards for molecular genetic testing in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and Ireland,” Genetic Testing, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 147–156, 2006.
- L. Sciacovelli, S. Secchiero, L. Zardo, M. Zaninotto, and M. Plebani, “External quality assessment: an effective tool for clinical governance in laboratory medicine,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 740–749, 2006.
- B. Chen, M. Gagnon, S. Shahangian, et al., “Good laboratory practices for molecular genetic testing for heritable diseases and conditions,” MMWR Recommendations and Reports, vol. 58, no. RR-6, pp. 1–37, 2009.
- C. S. Richards and W. W. Grody, “Alternative approaches to proficiency testing in molecular genetics,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 717–718, 2003.
- K. E. Weck, B. Zehnbauer, M. Datto, et al., “Molecular genetic testing for fragile X syndrome: laboratory performance on the College of American Pathologists proficiency survey (2001–2009),” Gentics in Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 306–312, 2012.
- D. Taruscio, V. Falbo, G. Floridia et al., “Quality assessment in cytogenetic and molecular genetic testing: the experience of the Italian Project on Standardisation and Quality Assurance,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 915–921, 2004.
- Official Bulletin of the Italian Republic-G.U. n.199 del 28/08/2009.
- M. Salvatore, V. Falbo, G. Floridia et al., “The Italian External Quality Control Programme for cystic fibrosis molecular diagnosis: 4 years of activity,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 254–260, 2007.
- V. Falbo, G. Floridia, F. Tosto et al., “The Italian External Quality Assessment scheme for fragile X syndrome: the results of a 5-year survey,” Genetic Testing, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 279–288, 2008.
- F. Tosto, M. Salvatore, V. Falbo et al., “The Italian scheme of External Quality Assessment for beta-thalassemia: genotyping and reporting results and testing strategies in a 5-year survey,” Genetic testing and molecular biomarkers, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2009.
- F. Censi, V. Falbo, G. Floridia et al., “The Italian external quality control program for familial adenomatous polyposis of the colon: five years of experience,” Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 175–181, 2010.
- C. Castellani, H. Cuppens, M. Macek et al., “Consensus on the use and interpretation of cystic fibrosis mutation analysis in clinical practice,” Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 179–196, 2008.
- E. Dequeker, M. Stuhrmann, M. A. Morris et al., “Best practice guidelines for molecular genetic diagnosis of cystic fibrosis and CFTR-related disorders - Updated European recommendations,” European Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 51–65, 2009.
- M. Grasso, M. A. Melis, A. Murgia, et al., Proposta Linee guida per la diagnosi molecolare della Sindrome dell'X Fragile (Proposed Guideline for Fragile X Diagnosis), http://www.sigu.net/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=46&limitstart=15, 2008.
- S. Berwouts, K. Fanning, M. A. Morris, et al., “Quality assurance practices in Europe: a survey of molecular genetic testing laboratories,” European Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1118–1126, 2012.
- I. Touitou, C. Rittore, L. Philibert, J. Yagüe, Y. Shinar, and I. Aksentijevich, “An international external quality assessment for molecular diagnosis of hereditary recurrent fevers: a 3-year scheme demonstrates the need for improvement,” European Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 890–896, 2009.