- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 849529, 9 pages
The Improvement of The Endogenous Antioxidant Property of Stone Fish (Actinopyga lecanora) Tissue Using Enzymatic Proteolysis
1Department of Food Science, Faculty of Food Science and Technology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Food Technology, Faculty of Food Science and Technology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
3Department of Chemistry, University of Sargodha, Sargodha 40100, Pakistan
Received 14 September 2012; Revised 11 January 2013; Accepted 11 January 2013
Academic Editor: Xudong Huang
Copyright © 2013 Sara Bordbar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Samadi and A. Ismail, “Antioxidative peptides from food Peptides Review,” Peptides, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1949–1956, 2010.
- D. V. Ratnam, D. D. Ankola, V. Bhardwaj, D. K. Sahana, and M. N. V. R. Kumar, “Role of antioxidants in prophylaxis and therapy: a pharmaceutical perspective,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 189–207, 2006.
- S. J. Duthie, A. Ma, M. A. Ross, and A. R. Collins, “Antioxidant supplementation decreases oxidative DNA damage in human lymphocytes,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1291–1295, 1996.
- A. G. P. Samaranayaka and E. C. Y. Li-Chan, “Food-derived peptidic antioxidants: a review of their production, assessment, and potential applications,” Journal of Functional Foods, vol. 3, pp. 229–254, 2011.
- R. J. Elias, S. S. Kellerby, and E. A. Decker, “Antioxidant activity of proteins and peptides,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 430–441, 2008.
- S. Bordbar, F. Anwar, and N. Saari, “High-value components and bioactives from sea cucumbers for functional foods-a review,” Marine Drugs, vol. 9, pp. 1761–1805, 2011.
- J. Wen, C. Hu, and S. Fan, “Chemical composition and nutritional quality of sea cucumbers,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 90, no. 14, pp. 2469–2474, 2010.
- Y. Zhong, M. A. Khan, and F. Shahidi, “Compositional characteristics and antioxidant properties of fresh and processed sea cucumber (Cucumaria frondosa),” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1188–1192, 2007.
- J. Mamelona, É. Pelletier, K. Girard-Lalancette, J. Legault, S. Karboune, and S. Kermasha, “Quantification of phenolic contents and antioxidant capacity of Atlantic sea cucumber, Cucumaria frondosa,” Food Chemistry, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 1040–1047, 2007.
- O. Y. Althunibat, R. B. Hashim, M. Taher, J. M. Daud, M. A. Ikeda, and B. I. Zali, “In vitro antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of three malaysian sea cucumber species,” European Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 376–387, 2009.
- J. Mamelona, R. Saint-Louis, and E. Pelletier, “Nutritional composition and antioxidant properties of protein hydrolysates prepared from echinoderm byproducts,” International Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 147–154, 2010.
- X. Zhou, C. Wang, and A. Jiang, “Antioxidant peptides isolated from sea cucumber Stichopus Japonicus,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 234, pp. 441–447, 2012.
- S.-K. Pan, D.-R. Yao, M.-Q. Zhou, and S.-J. Wu, “Hydroxyl radical scavenging activity of peptide from sea cucumber using enzyme complex isolated from the digestive tract of sea cucumber,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 11, pp. 1214–1219, 2012.
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International No. 920. 05, 920. 39, 2002.
- F. C. Church, H. E. Swaisgood, D. H. Porter, and G. L. Catignani, “Spectrophotometric assay using o-pthaldialdehyde for determination of proteolysis in milk and isolated milk proteins,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 66, pp. 1219–1227, 1983.
- P. Bersuder, M. Hole, and G. Smith, “Antioxidants from a heated histidine-glucose model system. I: investigation of the antioxidant role of histidine and isolation of antioxidants by high-performance liquid chromatography,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 181–187, 1998.
- C. Guoa, J. Yanga, Weia, J. Lia Y, J. Xua, and Y. Jiang, “Antioxidant activities of peel, pulp and seed fractions of common fruits as determined by FRAP assay,” Nutrition Research, vol. 23, pp. 1719–1726, 2003.
- N. P. Ozzer, “Effect of the handling procedures on the chemical composition of sea cucumber,” Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 4, pp. 71–74, 2004.
- B. Sicuro, M. Piccinno, F. Gai et al., “Food quality and safety of Mediterranean Sea Cucumbers Holothuria tubulosa and Holothuria polii in Southern Adriatic Sea,” Asian Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, vol. 7, pp. 851–859, 2012.
- J. Chen, “Overview of sea cucumber farming and sea ranching practices in China,” Beche-de-mer Information Bulletins, vol. 18, pp. 18–23, 2003.
- C. Sanmartín-Suárez, R. Soto-Otero, I. Sánchez-Sellero, and E. Méndez-Álvarez, “Antioxidant properties of dimethyl sulfoxide and its viability as a solvent in the evaluation of neuroprotective antioxidants,” Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 209–215, 2011.
- Z. Yuan, B. Zhao, and Y. Zhang, “Effects of dimethylsulfoxide on behavior and antioxidant enzymes response of planarian Dugesia japonica,” Toxicology and Industrial Health, vol. 28, pp. 449–457, 2011.
- N. Abdullah, S. Ismail, N. Aminudin, A. S. Shuib, and B. F. Lau, “Evaluation of selected culinary-medicinal mushrooms for antioxidant and ACE inhibitory activities,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 464238, 12 pages, 2012.
- L. Najafian and A. S. Babji, “A review of fish-derived antioxidant and antimicrobial peptides: their production, assessment, and applications,” Peptide, vol. 33, pp. 178–185, 2012.
- D. H. Ngo, I. Wijesekara, T. S. Vo, Q. Van Ta, and S. K. Kim, “Marine food-derived functional ingredients as potential antioxidants in the food industry: an overview,” Food Research International, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 523–529, 2011.
- P. A. Harnedy and R. J. FitzGerald, “Bioactive peptides from marine processing waste and shellfish: a review,” Journal of Functional Foods, vol. 4, pp. 6–24, 2012.
- D. Agyei and M. K. Danquah, “Industrial-scale manufacturing of pharmaceutical-grade bioactive peptides,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 29, pp. 272–277, 2011.
- F. Shahidi and Y. Zhong, “Bioactive peptides,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 914–931, 2008.
- R. K. Scopes, “Methods for measuring protein concentration, Analysis-Measurements of protein and enzyme activity,” in Protein Purification Principles and Practice, R. C. Charles, Ed., pp. 46–47, Boston University, Center for Advanced Biotechnology, Boston, Mass, USA, 3rd edition, 1993.
- J. T. Ryan, R. P. Ross, D. Bolton, G. F. Fitzgerald, and S. Stanton, “Bioactive peptides from muscle sources: meat and fish: a review,” Nutrients, vol. 3, pp. 765–791, 2011.
- A. R. Ndhlala, M. Moyo, and J. Van Staden, “Natural antioxidants: fascinating or mythical biomolecules?” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 6905–6930, 2010.
- H. G. Byun, J. K. Lee, H. G. Park, J. K. Jeon, and S. K. Kim, “Antioxidant peptides isolated from the marine rotifer, Brachionus rotundiformis,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 842–846, 2009.
- W. S. Lee, J. K. Jeon, and H. G. Byun, “Characterization of a novel antioxidative peptide from the sand eel Hypoptychus dybowskii,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1207–1211, 2011.
- M. Shamloo, J. Bakar, D. Mat Hashim, and A. Khatib, “Biochemical properties of red tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) protein hydrolysates,” International Food Research Journal, vol. 19, pp. 183–188, 2012.
- D. Y. Zhou, B. W. Zhu, L. Qiao et al., “In vitro antioxidant activity of enzymatic hydrolysates prepared from abalone (Haliotis discus hannai Ino) viscera,” Food and Bioproducts Processing, vol. 90, pp. 148–154, 2012.
- A. Bougatef, M. Hajji, R. Balti, I. Lassoued, Y. Triki-Ellouz, and M. Nasri, “Antioxidant and free radical-scavenging activities of smooth hound (Mustelus mustelus) muscle protein hydrolysates obtained by gastrointestinal proteases,” Food Chemistry, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 1198–1205, 2009.
- V. Katalinic, M. Milos, T. Kulisic, and M. Jukic, “Screening of 70 medicinal plant extracts for antioxidant capacity and total phenols,” Food Chemistry, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 550–557, 2006.
- Y. S. Velioglu, G. Mazza, L. Gao, and B. D. Oomah, “Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables, and grain products,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 4113–4117, 1998.
- M. C. Gómez-Guillén, M. E. López-Caballero, A. Alemán, A. López de Lacey, B. Giménez, and P. Montero, “Antioxidant and antimicrobial peptide fractions from squid and tuna skin gelatin,” Sea by-Products as Real Material: New Ways of Application, pp. 89–115, 2010.
- V. Klompong, S. Benjakul, D. Kantachote, and F. Shahidi, “Antioxidative activity and functional properties of protein hydrolysate of yellow stripe trevally (Selaroides leptolepis) as influenced by the degree of hydrolysis and enzyme type,” Food Chemistry, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 1317–1327, 2007.
- A. E. Theodore, S. Raghavan, and H. G. Kristinsson, “Antioxidative activity of protein hydrolysates prepared from alkaline-aided channel catfish protein isolates,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 16, pp. 7459–7466, 2008.
- B. Li, F. Chen, X. Wang, B. Ji, and Y. Wu, “Isolation and identification of antioxidative peptides from porcine collagen hydrolysate by consecutive chromatography and electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry,” Food Chemistry, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 1135–1143, 2007.
- S. Raghavan, H. G. Kristinsson, and C. Leeuwenburgh, “Radical scavenging and reducing ability of tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) protein hydrolysates,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 21, pp. 10359–10367, 2008.