- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 895706, 6 pages
In Vivo Determination of Vitamin D Function Using Transgenic Mice Carrying a Human Osteocalcin Luciferase Reporter Gene
1Division of Molecular Biology, School of Life Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Nishicho 86, Tottori 683-8503, Japan
2Chromosome Engineering Research Center, Tottori University, Yonago, Tottori 683-8503, Japan
Received 5 July 2012; Revised 15 February 2013; Accepted 26 February 2013
Academic Editor: Elena Orlova
Copyright © 2013 Tomoko Nakanishi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Holick, “Vitamin D deficiency,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 3, pp. 266–281, 2007.
- D. D. Bikle, “Vitamin D and bone,” Current Osteoporosis Reports, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 151–159, 2012.
- M. F. Holick, J. A. MacLaughlin, and M. B. Clark, “Photosynthesis of previtamin D3 in human skin and the physiologic consequences,” Science, vol. 210, no. 4466, pp. 203–205, 1980.
- M. F. Holick, “Resurrection of vitamin D deficiency and rickets,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 8, pp. 2062–2072, 2006.
- M. F. Holick and M. Garabedian, “Vitamin D: photobiology, metabolism, mechanism of action, and clinical applications,” in Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism, M. J. Favus, Ed., pp. 129–137, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Washington, DC, USA, 6th edition, 2006.
- R. M. Locklin, R. O. C. Oreffo, and J. T. Triffitt, “Modulation of osteogenic differentiation in human skeletal cells in vitro by 5-azacytidine,” Cell Biology International, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 207–215, 1998.
- J. Lemonnier, C. Ghayor, J. Guicheux, and J. Caverzasio, “Protein kinase C-independent activation of protein kinase D is involved in BMP-2-induced activation of stress mitogen-activated protein kinases JNK and p38 and osteoblastic cell differentiation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 1, pp. 259–264, 2004.
- S. L. Ferrari, L. Ahn-Luong, P. Garnero, S. E. Humphries, and S. L. Greenspan, “Two promoter polymorphisms regulating interleukin-6 gene expression are associated with circulating levels of C-reactive protein and markers of bone resorption in postmenopausal women,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 255–259, 2003.
- M. Bodo, C. Lilli, C. Bellucci et al., “Basic fibroblast growth factor autocrine loop controls human osteosarcoma phenotyping and differentiation,” Molecular Medicine, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 393–404, 2002.
- A. Yamaguchi, T. Ishizuya, N. Kintou et al., “Effects of BMP-2, BMP-4, and BMP-6 on osteoblastic differentiation of bone marrow-derived stromal cell lines, ST2 and MC3T3-G2/PA6,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 220, no. 2, pp. 366–371, 1996.
- A. Yamaguchi, T. Komori, and T. Suda, “Regulation of osteoblast differentiation mediated by bone morphogenetic proteins, hedgehogs, and Cbfa1,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 393–411, 2000.
- X. P. Yu and S. Chandrasekhar, “Parathyroid hormone (PTH 1-34) regulation of rat osteocalcin gene transcription,” Endocrinology, vol. 138, no. 8, pp. 3085–3092, 1997.
- R. Schüle, K. Umesono, D. J. Mangelsdorf, J. Bolado, J. W. Pike, and R. M. Evans, “Jun-Fos and receptors for vitamins A and D recognize a common response element in the human osteocalcin gene,” Cell, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 497–504, 1990.
- F. Yeung, W. K. Law, C. H. Yeh et al., “Regulation of human osteocalcin promoter in hormone-independent human prostate cancer cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 4, pp. 2468–2476, 2002.
- K. Ozono, J. Liao, S. A. Kerner, R. A. Scott, and J. W. Pike, “The vitamin D-responsive element in the human osteocalcin gene. Association with a nuclear proto-oncogene enhancer,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 265, no. 35, pp. 21881–21888, 1990.
- T. Nakanishi, K. Kokubun, H. Oda et al., “Bioluminescence imaging of bone formation using hairless osteocalcin-luciferase transgenic mice,” Bone, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 369–375, 2012.
- N. A. Morrison, J. Shine, J. C. Fragonas, V. Verkest, M. L. McMenemy, and J. A. Eisman, “1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D-responsive element and glucocorticoid repression in the osteocalcin gene,” Science, vol. 246, no. 4934, pp. 1158–1161, 1989.
- K. Yoon, S. J. C. Rutledge, R. F. Buenaga, and G. A. Rodan, “Characterization of the rat osteocalcin gene: stimulation of promoter activity by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3,” Biochemistry, vol. 27, no. 23, pp. 8521–8526, 1988.
- L. F. Bonewald, M. B. Kester, Z. Schwartz et al., “Effects of combining transforming growth factor β and 1,25- dihydroxyvitamin D3 on differentiation of a human osteosarcoma (MG-63),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 13, pp. 8943–8949, 1992.
- N. A. Sims, C. P. White, K. L. Sunn et al., “Human and murine osteocalcin gene expression: conserved tissue restricted expression and divergent responses to 1,25- dihydroxyvitamin D3 in vivo,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1695–1708, 1997.
- J. L. Finch, A. J. Brown, and E. Slatopolsky, “Differential effects of 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D3 and 19-nor-1,25- dihydroxy-vitamin D2 on calcium and phosphorus resorption in bone,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 980–985, 1999.
- L. Tripkovic, H. Lambert, K. Hart et al., “Comparison of vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 supplementation in raising serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 1357–1364, 2012.