- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 930686, 6 pages
Direct Biodiesel Production from Wet Microalgae Biomass of Chlorella pyrenoidosa through In Situ Transesterification
1State Key Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
2School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
Received 7 June 2013; Revised 18 August 2013; Accepted 29 August 2013
Academic Editor: Stefano Curcio
Copyright © 2013 Hechun Cao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Y. Lee, C. Yoo, S. Y. Jun, C. Y. Ahn, and H. M. Oh, “Comparison of several methods for effective lipid extraction from microalgae,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, supplement 1, pp. S75–S77, 2010.
- T. M. Barnard, N. E. Leadbeater, M. B. Boucher, L. M. Stencel, and B. A. Wilhite, “Continuous-flow preparation of biodiesel using microwave heating,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 1777–1781, 2007.
- M. P. Dorado, E. Ballesteros, J. M. Arnal, J. Gómez, and F. J. López, “Exhaust emissions from a Diesel engine fueled with transesterified waste olive oil,” Fuel, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 1311–1315, 2003.
- Z. Utlu and M. S. Koçak, “The effect of biodiesel fuel obtained from waste frying oil on direct injection diesel engine performance and exhaust emissions,” Renewable Energy, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1936–1941, 2008.
- O. S. Valente, M. J. Da Silva, V. M. D. Pasa, C. R. P. Belchior, and J. R. Sodré, “Fuel consumption and emissions from a diesel power generator fuelled with castor oil and soybean biodiesel,” Fuel, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 3637–3642, 2010.
- K. B. Cantrell, T. Ducey, K. S. Ro, and P. G. Hunt, “Livestock waste-to-bioenergy generation opportunities,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 17, pp. 7941–7953, 2008.
- Y. Chisti, “Biodiesel from microalgae beats bioethanol,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 126–131, 2008.
- I. Rawat, R. Ranjith Kumar, T. Mutanda, and F. Bux, “Dual role of microalgae: phycoremediation of domestic wastewater and biomass production for sustainable biofuels production,” Applied Energy, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 3411–3424, 2011.
- L. Rodolfi, G. C. Zittelli, N. Bassi et al., “Microalgae for oil: strain selection, induction of lipid synthesis and outdoor mass cultivation in a low-cost photobioreactor,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 100–112, 2009.
- S. A. Scott, M. P. Davey, J. S. Dennis et al., “Biodiesel from algae: challenges and prospects,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 277–286, 2010.
- E. S. Umdu, M. Tuncer, and E. Seker, “Transesterification of Nannochloropsis oculata microalga's lipid to biodiesel on Al2O3 supported CaO and MgO catalysts,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 11, pp. 2828–2831, 2009.
- Y. Chisti, “Biodiesel from microalgae,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 294–306, 2007.
- L. Lardon, A. Hélias, B. Sialve, J. P. Steyer, and O. Bernard, “Life-cycle assessment of biodiesel production from microalgae,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 17, pp. 6475–6481, 2009.
- B. D. Wahlen, R. M. Willis, and L. C. Seefeldt, “Biodiesel production by simultaneous extraction and conversion of total lipids from microalgae, cyanobacteria, and wild mixed-cultures,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 2724–2730, 2011.
- P. Li, X. Miao, R. Li, and J. Zhong, “In situ biodiesel production from fast-growing and high oil content Chlorella pyrenoidosa in rice straw hydrolysate,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 141207, 8 pages, 2011.
- H. Xu, X. Miao, and Q. Wu, “High quality biodiesel production from a microalga Chlorella protothecoides by heterotrophic growth in fermenters,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 499–507, 2006.
- P. D. Patil, V. G. Gude, A. Mannarswamy et al., “Optimization of direct conversion of wet algae to biodiesel under supercritical methanol conditions,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 118–122, 2011.
- E. A. Ehimen, Z. F. Sun, and C. G. Carrington, “Variables affecting the in situ transesterification of microalgae lipids,” Fuel, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 677–684, 2010.
- X. Miao, R. Li, and H. Yao, “Effective acid-catalyzed transesterification for biodiesel production,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 2680–2684, 2009.
- X. Miao and Q. Wu, “Biodiesel production from heterotrophic microalgal oil,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 841–846, 2006.
- S. J. Lee, B. D. Yoon, and H. M. Oh, “Rapid method for the determination of lipid from the green alga Botryococcus braunii,” Biotechnology Techniques, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 553–556, 1998.
- A. R. Medina, E. M. Grima, A. G. Giménez, and M. J. I. González, “Downstream processing of algal polyunsaturated fatty acids,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 517–580, 1998.
- K. G. Georgogianni, M. G. Kontominas, P. J. Pomonis, D. Avlonitis, and V. Gergis, “Conventional and in situ transesterification of sunflower seed oil for the production of biodiesel,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 503–509, 2008.
- B. Freedman, R. O. Butterfield, and E. H. Pryde, “Transesterification kinetics of soybean oil 1,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 1375–1380, 1986.
- B. Freedman, E. H. Pryde, and T. L. Mounts, “Variables affecting the yields of fatty esters from transesterified vegetable oils,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 1638–1643, 1984.
- B. D. Wahlen, B. M. Barney, and L. C. Seefeldt, “Synthesis of biodiesel from mixed feedstocks and longer chain alcohols using an acid-catalyzed method,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 4223–4228, 2008.