- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 631813, 18 pages
Effect of Acute Gamma Irradiation on Curcuma alismatifolia Varieties and Detection of DNA Polymorphism through SSR Marker
1Department of Crop Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University Putra Malaysia (UPM), 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Agrotechnology and Biosciences Division, Malaysian Nuclear Agency (Nuclear Malaysia), 43000 Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 13 July 2013; Revised 2 December 2013; Accepted 4 December 2013; Published 25 February 2014
Academic Editor: Gjumrakch Aliev
Copyright © 2014 Sima Taheri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Apavatjrut, S. Anuntalabhochai, P. Sirirugsa, and C. Alisi, “Molecular markers in the identification of some early flowering Curcuma L. (Zingiberaceae) species,” Annals of Botany, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 529–534, 1999.
- K. Bunya-Atichart, S. Ketsa, and W. G. Van Doorn, “Postharvest physiology of Curcuma alismatifolia flowers,” Postharvest Biology and Technology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 219–226, 2004.
- M. Nakano, J. Amano, Y. Watanabe et al., “Morphological variation in Tricyrtis hirta plants regenerated from heavy ion beam-irradiated embryogenic calluses,” Plant Biotechnology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 155–160, 2010.
- S. Lamseejan, P. Jompuk, A. Wongpiyasatid, A. Deeseepan, and P. Kwanthammachart, “Gamma-rays induced morphological changes in chrysanthemum. (Chrysanthemum morifolium),” Kasetsart Journal, vol. 34, pp. 417–422, 2000.
- G.-J. Lee, S. J. Chung, I. S. Park et al., “Variation in the phenotypic features and transcripts of color mutants of chrysanthemum (Dendranthema grandiflorum) derived from gamma ray mutagenesis,” Journal of Plant Biology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 418–423, 2008.
- O. K. Kikuchi, “Orchid flowers tolerance to gamma-radiation,” Radiation Physics and Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 3–6, pp. 555–557, 2000.
- N. P. Arnold, N. N. Barthakur, and M. Tanguay, “Mutagenic effects of acute gamma irradiation on miniature roses: target theory approach,” HortScience, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 127–129, 1998.
- A. A. Youssef, M. S. Aly, and M. S. Hussein, “Response of geranium (Pelargonium graveolenus L.) to gamma irradiation and foliar application of Speed Grow,” Egyptian Journal of Horticulture, vol. 27, pp. 41–53, 2000.
- N. Chuantang and L. Yazhi, “The radiation induced mutation of canna (Canna L.),” Acta Agricultute Nucleatae Sinica, vol. 2, pp. 33–39, 1998.
- M. S. Sigrist, J. B. Pinheiro, J. A. A. Filho, and M. I. Zucchi, “Genetic diversity of turmeric germplasm (Curcuma longa; Zingiberaceae) identified by microsatellite markers,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 419–428, 2011.
- S. Taheri, T. L. Abdullah, N. A. P. Abdullah, and Z. Ahmad, “Genetic relationships among five varieties of Curcuma alismatifolia (Zingiberaceae) based on ISSR markers,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 11, pp. 3069–3076, 2012.
- A. Das, V. Kesari, V. M. Satyanarayana, A. Parida, and L. Rangan, “Genetic relationship of Curcuma species from Northeast India using PCR-based markers,” Molecular Biotechnology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 65–76, 2011.
- S. Siju, K. Dhanya, S. Syamkumar et al., “Development, characterization and utilization of genomic microsatellite markers in turmeric (Curcuma longa L.),” Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 641–646, 2010.
- M. K. Panda, S. Mohanty, E. Subudhi, L. Acharya, and S. Nayak, “Assessment of genetic stability of micropropagated plants of Curcuma L. by cytophotometery and RAPD analysis,” International Journal of Integrative Biology (IJIB), vol. 1, pp. 189–195, 2007.
- S. Syamkumar and B. Sasikumar, “Molecular marker based genetic diversity analysis of Curcuma species from India,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 235–241, 2007.
- D. Tautz and M. Renz, “Simple sequences are ubiquitous repetitive components of eukaryotic genomes,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 4127–4138, 1984.
- G. Tóth, Z. Gáspári, and J. Jurka, “Microsatellites in different eukaryotic genomes: surveys and analysis,” Genome Research, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 967–981, 2000.
- W. Powell, G. C. Machray, and J. Proven, “Polymorphism revealed by simple sequence repeats,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 215–222, 1996.
- S.-Y. Lee, W. K. Fai, M. Zakaria et al., “Characterization of polymorphic microsatellite markers, isolated from ginger (Zingiber officinale Rosc.),” Molecular Ecology Notes, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1009–1011, 2007.
- S. Bory, D. Da Silva, A.-M. Risterucci, M. Grisoni, P. Besse, and M.-F. Duval, “Development of microsatellite markers in cultivated vanilla: polymorphism and transferability to other vanilla species,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 420–425, 2008.
- I. C. Menezes, F. W. Cidade, A. P. Souza, and I. C. Sampaio, “Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci in the black pepper, Piper Nigrum L. (Piperaceae),” Conservation Genetics Resources, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 209–212, 2009.
- M. S. Sigrist, J. B. Pinheiro, J. A. Azevedo-Filho, et al., “Development and characterization of microsatellite markers for turmeric (Curcuma longa),” Plant Breeding, vol. 129, no. 5, pp. 570–573, 2010.
- V. Kumar, Morphological and molecular characterization of induced mutants in Groundnut [Ph.D. thesis], University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India, 2008.
- J. R. Sharma, Statistical and Biometrical Techniques in Plant Breeding, New Age International, New Delhi, India, 1998.
- J. J. Doyle and J. L. Doyle, “A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue,” Phytochemical Bulletin, vol. 19, pp. 11–15, 1987.
- M. S. Sigrist, J. B. Pinheiro, J. A. Azevedo-Filho et al., “Development and characterization of microsatellite markers for turmeric (Curcuma longa),” Plant Breeding, vol. 129, no. 5, pp. 570–573, 2010.
- Ø. Hammer, D. A. T. Harper, and P. D. Ryan, “Past: paleontological statistics software package for education and data analysis,” Palaeontologia Electronica, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 4–9, 2001.
- K. Liu and S. V. Muse, “PowerMaker: an integrated analysis environment for genetic maker analysis,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 2128–2129, 2005.
- F. J. Rohlf, NTSYS-Pc: Numerical Taxonomy System, Version 2. 1, Exeter Publishing, Setauket, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- M. Nei, “Analysis of gene diversity in subdivided populations,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 70, no. 12, 1973.
- S. Kadkhodaei, M. Shahnazari, M. K. Nekouei et al., “A comparative study of morphological and molecular diversity analysis among cultivated almonds (Prunus dulcis),” Australian Journal of Crop Science, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 82–91, 2011.
- T. L. Abdullah, J. Endan, and B. M. Nazir, “Changes in flower development, chlorophyll mutation and alteration in plant morphology of Curcuma alismatifolia by gamma irradiation,” American Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1436–1439, 2009.
- E. Kovács and Á. Keresztes, “Effect of gamma and UV-B/C radiation on plant cells,” Micron, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 199–210, 2002.
- H. L. Ramesh, Y. Murthy, and V. N. Munirajappa, “Effect of gamma radiation on morphological and growth parameters of Mulberry variety M5,” International Journal of Science and Nature, vol. 3, pp. 447–452, 2010.
- K. Pongchawee, R. Pradissan, and W. Pipatcharoenchai, “Induce mutation in Anubias spp. through in vitro Irradiation,” Thai Fisheries Gazette, vol. 60, pp. 493–497, 2007.
- P. Tangpong, T. Taychasinpitak, C. Jompuk, and P. Jompuk, “Effects of acute and chronic gamma irradiations on in vitro culture of Anubias congensis N.E. Brown,” Kasetsart Journal, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 449–457, 2009.
- R. K. Hegde, Studies on induced mutagenesis and in vitro regeneration in turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) [Ph.D. thesis], University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India, 2006.
- M. P. Giridharan and S. Balakrishnan, “Gamma ray induced variability in vegetative and floral characters of ginger. Indian Cocoa,” Arecanut and Spices Journal, vol. 15, pp. 68–672, 1992.
- A. P. Cesarett, “Effect of radiation on higher plants and plant communities,” in Radiation Biology, United States Atomic Energy Commission, pp. 284–309, Washington, DC, USA, 1968.
- G. W. Seung, Y. C. Byung, J.-H. Kim et al., “Ultrastructural changes of cell organelles in Arabidopsis stems after gamma irradation,” Journal of Plant Biology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 195–200, 2005.
- B. S. Ahloowalia and M. Maluszynski, “Induced mutations—a new paradigm in plant breeding,” Euphytica, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 167–173, 2001.
- R. Voisine, L.-P. Vézina, and C. Willemot, “Induction of senescence-like deterioration of microsomal membranes from cauliflower by free radicals generated during gamma irradiation,” Plant Physiology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 545–550, 1991.
- N. Shikazono, Y. Yokota, S. Kitamura et al., “Mutation rate and novel tt mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana induced by carbon ions,” Genetics, vol. 163, no. 4, pp. 1449–1455, 2003.
- T. Nakatsuka, M. Nishihara, K. Mishiba, and S. Yamamura, “Two different mutations are involved in the formation of white-flowered gentian plants,” Plant Science, vol. 169, no. 5, pp. 949–958, 2005.
- M. Mato, T. Onozaki, Y. Ozeki et al., “Flavonoid biosynthesis in white-flowered Sim carnations (Dianthus caryophyllus),” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 84, no. 3-4, pp. 333–347, 2000.
- S. G. Wi, B. Y. Chung, J.-S. Kim et al., “Effects of gamma irradiation on morphological changes and biological responses in plants,” Micron, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 553–564, 2007.
- F. Lee Chin, Effects of light intensity and daylength on growth and flowering of siam tulip (Curcuma alismatifolia var. Chiang Mai Pink) [Ph.D. thesis], University Putra Malaysia, 2007.
- A. Hagiladi, N. Umiel, and X. H. Yang, “Curcuma alismatifolia II. Effects of temperature and daylength on the development of flowers and propagules,” Acta Horticulture, vol. 430, pp. 755–761, 1997.
- M. Hagidimitriou, A. Katsiotis, G. Menexes, C. Pontikis, and M. Loukas, “Genetic diversity of major greek olive cultivars using molecular (AFLPs and RAPDs) markers and morphological traits,” Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 211–217, 2005.
- N. Babaei, N. A. P. Abdullah, G. Saleh, and T. L. Abdullah, “Isolation and characterization of microsatellite markers and analysis of genetic variability in Curculigo latifolia Dryand,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 39, pp. 9869–9877, 2012.
- B. Shiran, N. Amirbakhtiar, S. Kiani, S. Mohammadi, B. E. Sayed-Tabatabaei, and H. Moradi, “Molecular characterization and genetic relationship among almond cultivars assessed by RAPD and SSR markers,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 280–292, 2007.
- S. Singh, M. K. Panda, and S. Nayak, “Evaluation of genetic diversity in turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) using RAPD and ISSR markers,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 284–291, 2012.
- Y. Paisooksantivatana, S. Kako, and H. Seko, “Genetic diversity of Curcuma alismatifolia Gagnep. (Zingiberaceae) in Thailand as revealed by allozyme polymorphism,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 459–465, 2001.