- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 819453, 6 pages
Treatment of Laryngoceles: What Is the Progress over the Last Two Decades?
1Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Ostrava, 17. listopadu 1790, 708 52 Ostrava, Czech Republic
2Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove,University Hospital Hradec Kralove, Charles University in Prague, Sokolska 581, 50 005 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Received 10 January 2014; Accepted 2 February 2014; Published 6 March 2014
Academic Editor: Jan Plzák
Copyright © 2014 Karol Zelenik et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. D. Holinger, D. R. Barnes, L. J. Smid, and P. H. Holinger, “Laryngocele and saccular cysts,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 87, no. 5, part 1, pp. 675–685, 1978.
- L. W. DeSanto, “Laryngocele, laryngeal mucocele, large saccules, and laryngeal saccular cysts: a developmental spectrum,” Laryngoscope, vol. 84, no. 8, pp. 1291–1296, 1974.
- M. Amin and A. G. D. Maran, “The aetiology of laryngocele,” Clinical Otolaryngology, vol. 13, pp. 267–272, 1988.
- R. F. Canalis, D. S. Maxwell, and W. G. Hemenway, “Laryngocele—an updated review,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 191–199, 1977.
- D. D. Macfie, “Asymptomatic laryngoceles in wind-instrument bandsmen,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 270–275, 1966.
- N. Gonik, S. Setty, E. Delphin, T. Straker, and B. A. Schiff, “Intraoperative inflation of laryngocele with LMA,” American Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 746–748, 2013.
- S. E. Celin, J. Johnson, H. Curtin, and L. Barnes, “The association of laryngoceles with squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx,” Laryngoscope, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 529–536, 1991.
- M. Mitroi, A. Căpitănescu, F. C. Popescu et al., “Laryngocele associated with laryngeal carcinoma,” Romanian Journal of Morphology and Embryology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 183–185, 2011.
- I. Papila, E. Acioǧlu, E. Karaman, and C. Akman, “Laryngeal chondroma presenting as a laryngopyocele,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 262, no. 6, pp. 473–476, 2005.
- W. V. B. S. Ramalingam, S. Nair, A. V. Ramesh, D. K. Gupta, and A. Kumar, “Combined laryngocele secondary to localized laryngeal amyloidosis,” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 193–196, 2012.
- R. Thomé, D. C. Thomé, and R. A. C. De La Cortina, “Lateral thyrotomy approach on the paraglottic space for laryngocele resection,” Laryngoscope, vol. 110, no. 3, part 1, pp. 447–450, 2000.
- R. C. Helmberger, B. P. Croker, and A. A. Mancuso, “Leiomyosarcoma of the larynx presenting as a laryngopyocele,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1112–1114, 1996.
- D. Myssiorek, D. Madnani, and M. D. Delacure, “The external approach for submucosal lesions of the larynx,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 370–373, 2001.
- B. J. Szwarc and H. K. Kashima, “Endoscopic management of a combined laryngocele,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 106, no. 7, part 1, pp. 556–559, 1997.
- G. Vengerovich, E. D. McCoul, D. H. Burstein, F. B. Yao, and J. W. Lim, “Excision of laryngocele via transcervical midline approach,” Laryngoscope, vol. 120, no. 4, p. S189, 2010.
- P. G. Ciabatti, G. Burali, and L. D'Ascanio, “Transoral robotic surgery for large mixed laryngocoele,” The Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 435–437, 2013.
- G. Dursun, O. B. Ozgursoy, S. Beton, and H. Batikhan, “Current diagnosis and treatment of laryngocele in adults,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 211–215, 2007.
- P. M. Devesa, K. Ghufoor, S. Lloyd, and D. Howard, “Endoscopic CO2 laser management of laryngocele,” Laryngoscope, vol. 112, no. 8, part 1, pp. 1426–1430, 2002.
- Y. Akbas, M. Ünal, and Y. S. Pata, “Asymptomatic bilateral mixed-type laryngocele and laryngeal carcinoma,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 261, no. 6, pp. 307–309, 2004.
- O. Akdogan, O. Ibrahim, A. Selcuk, and H. Dere, “The association of laryngoceles with squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx presenting as a deep neck infection,” B-ENT, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 209–211, 2007.
- E. A. Aksoy, C. Elsürer, G. M. Serin, and O. F. Unal, “Bilateral internal laryngoceles mimicking asthma,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 453–456, 2013.
- Z. Andreou, P. S. Randhawa, P. O'Flynn, and F. M. Vaz, “Endoscopic management of an internal laryngopyocele presenting with acute airway obstruction,” Case Reports in Surgery, vol. 2011, Article ID 873613, 3 pages, 2011.
- O. Araz, A. Turan, O. Yoruk, F. Alper, and M. Akgun, “Laryngocele and epiglottic cyst as rare causes of obstructive sleep apnea,” Sleep and Breathing, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 285–287, 2009.
- A. Arslan, N. Ceylan, A. Çetin, and A. Demirci, “Laryngeal amyloidosis with laryngocele: MRI and CT,” Neuroradiology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 401–403, 1998.
- O. Aydin, E. Ustündağ, M. Işeri, H. Ozkarakaş, and A. Oğuz, “Laryngeal amyloidosis with laryngocele,” The Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 361–363, 1999.
- H. Çankaya, E. Egeli, Ö. Unal, and M. Kiris, “Laryngeal amyloidosis. A rare cause of laryngocele,” Clinical Imaging, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 86–88, 2002.
- L. Cassano, P. Lombardo, R. M. Ragona, and A. Pastore, “Laryngopyocele: three new clinical cases and review of the literature,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 257, no. 9, pp. 507–511, 2000.
- B. Erdogmus, B. Yazici, O. Ozturk, S. Ataoglu, and S. Yazici, “Laryngocele in association with ankylosing spondylitis,” Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, vol. 117, no. 19-20, pp. 718–720, 2005.
- S. L. Ettema, D. G. Carothers, and H. T. Hoffman, “Laryngocele resection by combined external and endoscopic laser approach,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 361–364, 2003.
- J. A. D. P. Felix, F. Felix, and L. F. P. De Mello, “Laryngocele: a cause of upper airway obstruction,” Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 143–146, 2008.
- L. Fraser, B. Pittore, S. Frampton, P. Brennan, and R. Puxeddu, “Laryngeal debridement: an alternative treatment for a laryngopyocele presenting with severe airway obstruction,” Acta Otorhinolaryngologica Italica, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 113–117, 2011.
- K. L. Fredrickson and A. J. D'Angelo Jr., “Internal laryngopyocele presenting as acute airway obstruction,” Ear, Nose and Throat Journal, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 104–106, 2007.
- A. R. Gafton, S. M. Cohen, J. D. Eastwood, M. K. Dang, and J. K. Hoang, “Recurrent laryngopyocele: CT-guided hookwire localization for re-excision surgery,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. E39–E42, 2013.
- K. H. Gallivan and G. J. Gallivan, “Bilateral mixed laryngoceles: simultaneous strobovideolaryngoscopy and external video examination,” Journal of Voice, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 258–266, 2002.
- S. C. Gupta, A. Goel, and P. A. Singh, “External laryngocele,” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 298–301, 1998.
- M. Harney, N. Patil, R. Walsh, P. Brennan, and M. Walsh, “Laryngocele and squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 115, no. 7, pp. 590–592, 2001.
- M. Herrag, S. Lahmiti, H. Sajiai et al., “A laryngocele revealing a small cell lung carcinoma,” B-ENT, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 215–217, 2010.
- T. P. Hirvonen, “Endoscopic Co2 laser surgery for large internal laryngocele,” ORL, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 58–60, 2001.
- E. Keles, H. C. Alpay, I. Orhan, and H. Yildirim, “Combined laryngocele: a cause of stridor and cervical swelling,” Auris Nasus Larynx, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 117–120, 2010.
- A. Lancella, G. Abbate, and R. Dosdegani, “Mixed laryngocele: a case report and review of the literature,” Acta Otorhinolaryngologica Italica, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 255–257, 2007.
- T. Marom, Y. Roth, and U. Cinamon, “Laryngocele: a rare long-term complication following neck surgery?” Journal of Voice, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 272–274, 2011.
- S. E. McDonald, D. K. Pinder, C. Sen, and M. A. Birchall, “Oncocytic cyst presenting as laryngocele with surgical emphysema,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 263, no. 3, pp. 237–240, 2006.
- E. Mensiz, M. Tüz, O. Oyar, H. Doǧru, and H. Yasan, “A case of orbital emphysema associated with internal laryngocele,” Auris Nasus Larynx, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 197–200, 2003.
- S. P. Murray, L. P. A. Burgess, D. M. Burton, C. Gonzalez, G. S. Wood, and J. T. Zajtchuk, “Laryngocele associated with squamous carcinoma in a 20-year-old nonsmoker,” Ear, Nose and Throat Journal, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 258–261, 1994.
- H. Nazaroğlu, M. Ozateş, A. Uyar, E. Değer, and M. Simşek, “Laryngopyocele: signs on computed tomography,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 63–65, 2000.
- C. Özcan, Y. Vayisoglu, N. Güner, S. Türkili, and K. Görür, “External laryngopyocele: a rare cause of upper airway obstruction,” Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 2022–2024, 2010.
- R. J. E. Pennings, F. J. A. van den Hoogen, and H. A. M. Marres, “Giant laryngoceles: a cause of upper airway obstruction,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 258, no. 3, pp. 137–140, 2001.
- K. C. Prasad, S. Vijayalakshmi, and S. C. Prasad, “Laryngoceles—presentations and management,” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 303–308, 2008.
- A. Prasai, J. Phillips, and P. Jani, “Spontaneous resolution of a traumatic laryngocele,” The Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. E5–E8, 2007.
- M. V. V. Reddy, C. Ramakrishna, M. Gupta et al., “Laryngocele—a case report and review of literature,” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 281–283, 2008.
- T. Satou, T. Naito, Y. Hayashi, S. Hashimoto, and S. Sugiyama, “A sudden death case of laryngocele accompanied by infarction of the dorso-lateral portion of the medulla oblongata,” Legal Medicine, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 257–261, 1999.
- D. J. Stocker, W. F. Kelly, T. M. Fitzpatrick, V. J. Bernet, and H. B. Burch, “Bilateral external laryngoceles following radioiodine ablation for Graves disease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 17, pp. 2007–2009, 2002.
- K. Töro, M. Kardos, and G. Dunay, “Fatal asphyxia due to laryngomucocele,” Forensic Science International, vol. 190, no. 1–3, pp. e1–e4, 2009.
- T. Upile, W. Jerjes, F. Sipaul et al., “Laryngocele: a rare complication of surgical tracheostomy,” BMC Surgery, vol. 6, article 14, 2006.
- I. Vasileiadis, S. Kapetanakis, A. Petousis, A. Stavrianaki, A. Fiska, and E. Karakostas, “Internal laryngopyocele as a cause of acute airway obstruction: an extremely rare case and review of the literature,” Acta Otorhinolaryngologica Italica, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 58–62, 2012.
- S. Vedasalam, F. Sipaul, and G. Porter, “Internal laryngocoele and referred otalgia,” BMJ Case Reports, 2010.
- P. M. Stell and A. G. D. Maran, “Laryngocele,” The Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 89, pp. 915–924, 1975.
- D. Ingrams, D. Hein, and N. Marks, “Laryngocele: an anatomical variant,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 675–677, 1999.