- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 928740, 7 pages
Variables Associated with the Use of Coercive Measures on Psychiatric Patients in Spanish Penitentiary Centers
1Department of Legal and Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Córdoba, Avenida Menéndez Pidal s/n, 14071 Córdoba, Spain
2Medical Services, Secure Psychiatric Hospital of Alicante, Spain
3Medical Services, Prison of Málaga, Spain
4Medical Services, Prison of Córdoba, Spain
5Medical Services, Prison of Granada, Spain
6Medical Services, Secure Psychiatric Hospital of Sevilla, Spain
7Department of Biostatistics, University of Granada, Spain
8Center of Biomedical Research Network of Mental Health (CIBERSAM), University of Granada, Spain
Received 4 April 2013; Accepted 29 October 2013; Published 20 January 2014
Academic Editor: Nick Kontodimopoulos
Copyright © 2014 E. Girela et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. J. Winick, “The Side Effects of Incompetency Labeling and The Implications For Mental Health Law,” Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 6–42, 1995.
- S. Bloch, P. Chodoff, and S. A. Green, La Ética en Psiquiatría, Madrid, Spain, 2001.
- R. L. Sadoff, Ethical Issues in Forensic Psychiatry. Minimizing Harm, Wiley-Blacwell, Chichester, UK, 2011.
- J. Childress, Who Should Decide? Paternalism in Health Care, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1982.
- G. H. Morris, “Judging judgment: assessing the competence of mental patients to refuse treatment,” San Diego Law Review, vol. 32, pp. 343–435, 1995.
- M. Camacho, “Restricción de la libertad del enfermo mental. Indicaciones psiquiátricas y su valor terapéutico,” in El Psiquiatra: del Ámbito Médico al Jurídico, A. Medina, M. J. Moreno, and R. y Lillo, Eds., pp. 233–246, Euromedice, 2007.
- D. M. Castille, K. H. Muenzenmaier, and B. G. Link, “Coercion: point, perception, process,” in Coercive Treatment in Psychiatry. Clinical, Legal and Ethical Aspects, T. W. Kallert, J. E. Mezzich, and J. Monaham, Eds., pp. 245–267, Wiley-Blackwell, Singapore, 2011.
- T. H. Kallert, J. E. Mezzich, and J. Monaham, “Introduction,” in Coercive Treatment in Psychiatry. Clinical, Legal and Ethical Aspects, T. H. Kallert, J. E. Mezzich, and J. Monaham, Eds., pp. 11–22, Wiley-Blackwell, Singapore, 2011.
- T. Kallert, G. Glöckner, J. Onchev, et al., “The EUNOMIA project on coercion in psychiatry: study design and preliminary data,” World Psychiatry, vol. 4, pp. 168–172, 2005.
- J. Raboch, L. Kališová, A. Nawka et al., “Use of coercive measures during involuntary hospitalization: findings from ten European countries,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 1012–1017, 2010.
- H. J. Salize, H. Dressing, C. Kief, et al., “Mentally disordered persons in European prison systems: needs, programmes and outcome (EUPRIS),” Final Report, 2007.
- Global Assessment of Functioning, DSM IIIR Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, APA, Washington, DC, USA, 1987.
- D. Lukoff, K. H. Nuechterlein, and J. Ventura, “Manual for the expanded brief psychiatric research scale,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 2, pp. 594–602, 1986.
- (CAT), California Achievement Test, CTB/McGraw-Hill, 5th edition, 1992.
- S. R. Kay, F. Wolkenfeld, and L. M. Murrill, “Profiles of aggression among psychiatric patients. I. Nature and prevalence,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 176, no. 9, pp. 539–546, 1988.
- CPT, “Report to the Spanish Government on the visit to Spain carried out by the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) from 19 September to 1 October 2007,” CPT/Inf 11, Strasbourg, France, 2011.
- L. F. Barrios, “El empleo de medios coercitivos en prisión: indicaciones regimentales y psiquiátricas,” Revista de Estudios Penitenciarios, vol. 253, pp. 61–100, 2007.
- B. M. D'Orio, D. Purselle, D. Stevens, and S. J. Garlow, “Reduction of episodes of seclusion and restraint in a psychiatric emergency service,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 581–583, 2004.
- J. Bergk and T. Steiner, “Staff members' attitudes towards coercive measures,” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 7, supplement 1, article P21, 2007, World Psychiatric Association (WPA) Thematic Conference. Coercive Treatment in Psychiatry: A Comprehensive Review.
- E. Agerbo, M. Byrne, W. W. Eaton, and P. B. Mortensen, “Marital and labor market status in the long run in schizophrenia,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 28–33, 2004.
- M. Nyer, J. Kasckow, I. Fellows et al., “The relationship of marital status and clinical characteristics in middle-aged and older patients with schizophrenia and depressive symptoms,” Annals of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 172–179, 2010.
- A. S. Bellack, M. F. Green, J. A. Cook et al., “Assessment of community functioning in people with schizophrenia and other severe mental illnesses: a white paper based on an NIMH-sponsored workshop,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 805–822, 2007.
- M. Jarrett, L. Bowers, and A. Simpson, “Coerced medication in psychiatric inpatient care: literature review,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 538–548, 2008.
- A. Kopelowicz, J. Ventura, R. P. Liberman, and J. Mintz, “Consistency of brief psychiatric rating scale factor structure across a broad spectrum of schizophrenia patients,” Psychopathology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 77–84, 2007.
- C. W. Lidz, E. P. Mulvey, S. K. Hoge et al., “Sources of coercive behaviours in psychiatric admissions,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 73–79, 2000.
- W. M. Greenberg, L. Moore-Duncan, and R. Herron, “Patients' attitudes toward having been forcibly medicated,” Bulletin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 513–524, 1996.
- L. Kjellin, “Ethical issues of participating in psychiatric research on coercion,” in Coercive Treatment in Psychiatry. Clinical, Legal and Ethical Aspects, T. W. Kallert, J. E. Mezzich, and J. E. Monaham, Eds., pp. 271–292, Wiley-Blackwell, Singapore, 2011.