Table of Contents Author Guidelines Submit a Manuscript
BioMed Research International
Volume 2017 (2017), Article ID 1964765, 10 pages
https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1964765
Clinical Study

Endovascular Treatment for Acute Thromboembolic Occlusion of the Superior Mesenteric Artery and the Outcome Comparison between Endovascular and Open Surgical Treatments: A Retrospective Study

1Department of Colorectal Surgery, Tianjin Union Medical Center, Tianjin 300121, China
2Department of Pathology, Tianjin Medical University General Hospital, Tianjin 300000, China
3Department of General Surgery, Tianjin Union Medical Center, Tianjin 300121, China
4Department of General Surgery, Nankai Hospital of Tianjin, Tianjin 300000, China

Correspondence should be addressed to Guoxun Li; moc.361@cmut_ilg

Zhao Zhang and Dan Wang contributed equally to this work.

Received 19 February 2017; Revised 21 August 2017; Accepted 17 September 2017; Published 24 October 2017

Academic Editor: Michel Kahaleh

Copyright © 2017 Zhao Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

We reported our experience with endovascular treatment for patients with acute thromboembolic occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery (ATOS) as well as comparing the efficacy between endovascular and traditional open surgical treatments. Eighteen consecutive patients with ATOS who received endovascular treatment and 12 patients who received open surgical treatment between February 2007 and October 2012 at Tianjin Union Medical Center (Tianjin, China) were retrospectively reviewed. Primary clinical outcomes included the technical success, requirement of laparotomy, length of bowel resection, perioperative mortality within 30 days, and surgical complications. The patients were followed up for 0.1 to 98 months. For patients who underwent endovascular treatment, complete technical success was achieved in 8 (44.4%) patients and partial success was achieved in the remaining 10 (55.6%) patients. Laparotomy was required in 6 (33.3%) patients. The 30-day mortality was 16.7%. In comparison to open surgical therapy, endovascular therapy achieved lower requirement of laparotomy (in 33.3% versus in 58.3% of cases, ), significantly shorter average length of bowel resection (88 ± 44 versus 253 ± 103 cm, ), and lower mortality rate (16.7% versus 33.3%, ). The endovascular therapy is a promising treatment alternative for ATOS.