- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Biochemistry Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 270545, 4 pages
Prooxidant-Antioxidant Balance in Umbilical Cord Blood of Infants with Meconium Stained of Amniotic Fluid
1Department of Biology, School of Sciences, Payame Noor University, Mashhad 91735433, Iran
2Neonatal Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad 9137913316, Iran
3Department of Chemistry, School of Science, Payame Noor University, Mashhad 91735433, Iran
4Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, OM-Albanin Hospital, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad 9144663595, Iran
5Department of New Science and Technologies, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad 9177948564, Iran
6Department of Social Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad 9138913131, Iran
7Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Research Group, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad 9177948564, Iran
Received 15 July 2013; Accepted 2 October 2013
Academic Editor: Vladimir Uversky
Copyright © 2013 Mohammad Hassan Arjmand et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Rapoport and D. J. Buchanan, “The composition of meconium: isolation of blood-group-specific polysaccharides. Abnormal composition of meconium in meconium ileus,” Science, vol. 112, no. 2901, pp. 150–153, 1950.
- R. H. Côté and J. P. Valet, “Isolation, composition and reactivity of the neutral glycoproteins from human meconiums with specificities of the ABO and Lewis systems,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 153, no. 1, pp. 63–73, 1976.
- E. H. Hon, Modern Trends in Human Reproductive Physiology, Butterworth & Co., London, UK, 1963.
- F. C. Miller and J. A. Read, “Intrapartum assessment of the postdate fetus,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 141, no. 5, pp. 516–520, 1981.
- T. E. Wiswell, “Advances in the treatment of the meconium aspiration syndrome,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 90, no. 436, pp. 28–30, 2001.
- G. M. Cleary and T. E. Wiswell, “Meconium-stained amniotic fluid and the meconium aspiration syndrome: an update,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 511–529, 1998.
- D. H. Alamdari, K. Paletas, T. Pegiou, M. Sarigianni, C. Befani, and G. Koliakos, “A novel assay for the evaluation of the prooxidant-antioxidant balance, before and after antioxidant vitamin administration in type II diabetes patients,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 3-4, pp. 248–254, 2007.
- H. Ochi and R. G. Cutler, “Use of oxidative stress diagnostic plot as a health indicator for assessing oxidative stress and its control in humans,” United States Patent, 6569 683 B1, 2003, http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html.
- O. Erel, “A new automated colorimetric method for measuring total oxidant status,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1103–1111, 2005.
- O. Erel, “A novel automated method to measure total antioxidant response against potent free radical reactions,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 112–119, 2004.
- D. H. Alamdari, M. Ghayour-Mobarhan, S. Tavallaie et al., “Prooxidant-antioxidant balance as a new risk factor in patients with angiographically defined coronary artery disease,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 375–380, 2008.
- L. Ciccoli, V. Rossi, S. Leoncini et al., “Iron release in erythrocytes and plasma non protein-bound iron in hypoxic and non hypoxic newborns,” Free Radical Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2003.
- G. Buonocore, S. Zani, S. Perrone, B. Caciotti, and R. Bracci, “Intraerythrocyte nonprotein-bound iron and plasma malondialdehyde in the hypoxic newborn,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 766–770, 1998.
- B. Y. Liu, C. C. Wang, T. K. Lau et al., “Meconium-stained liquor during labor is associated with raised neonatal cord blood 8-iso-prostaglandin F2α concentration,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 192, no. 1, pp. 289–294, 2005.
- A. J. De Beaufort, A. C. Bakker, M. J. D. Van Tol, B. J. Poorthuis, A. J. Schrama, and H. M. Berger, “Meconium is a source of pro-inflammatory substances and can induce cytokine production in cultured A549 epithelial cells,” Pediatric Research, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 491–495, 2003.
- Y. Mizuno, R. F. Jacob, and R. P. Mason, “Inflammation and the development of atherosclerosis—effects of lipid-lowering therapy,” Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 351–358, 2011.
- E. T. De Lemos, J. Oliveira, J. P. Pinheiro, and F. Reis, “Regular physical exercise as a strategy to improve antioxidant and anti-inflammatory status: benefits in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2012, Article ID 741545, 15 pages, 2012.
- H. Zhu and Y. R. Li, “Oxidative stress and redox signaling mechanisms of inflammatory bowel disease: updated experimental and clinical evidence,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 237, no. 5, pp. 474–480, 2012.
- B. Tran, S. Oliver, J. Rosa, and P. Galassetti, “Aspects of inflammation and oxidative stress in pediatric obesity and type 1 diabetes: an overview of ten years of studies,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 683680, 7 pages, 2012.
- F. De Oliveira, C. A. Veloso, J. A. Nogueira-Machado, et al., “Ascorbic acid, alpha-tocopherol, and beta-carotene reduce oxidative stress and proinflammatory cytokines in 7 mononuclear cells of Alzheimer’s disease patients,” Nutritional Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 148–156, 2012.
- A. Ambade and P. Mandrekar, “Oxidative stress and inflammation: essential partners in alcoholic liver disease,” International Journal of Hepatology, vol. 2012, Article ID 853175, 9 pages, 2012.
- K. V. Ramana, “Aldose reductase: new Insights for an old enzyme,” Biomolecular Concepts, vol. 2, no. 1-2, pp. 103–114, 2011.
- S. N. Han and S. N. Meydani, “Antioxidants, cytokines, and influenza infection in aged mice and elderly humans,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 182, no. 3, supplement 1, pp. S74–S80, 2000.