- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 426596, 9 pages
Validation of Geriatric Care Environment Scale in Portuguese Nurses
1Emergency Room, Coimbra University Hospital, Avenida Bissaya Barreto e Praceta Prof. Mota Pinto, 3000-075 Coimbra, Portugal
2Department of Health, University of Aveiro, Campus Universitário de Santiago, 3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal
3Center for Research and Development in Mathematics and Applications, Department of Mathematics, University of Aveiro, Campus Universitário de Santiago, 3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal
4College of Nursing, New York University, 726 Broadway, New York, NY 10003, USA
Received 12 March 2013; Accepted 11 May 2013
Academic Editor: Francesc Formiga
Copyright © 2013 João Paulo de Almeida Tavares et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Population Referecen Bureau, “2011 World Population Data Sheet,” 2011, http://www.prb.org/pdf11/2011population-data-sheet_eng.pdf.
- INE, Censos 2011—Resultados Provisórios [Census—Previous results], National Statistical Institute, Lisbon, Portugal, 2012.
- Portugal. Directorate-General for Health, Morbilidade Hospitalar-SNS [Morbidity Hospital-NHS], Directorate-General for Health, Lisbon, Portugal, 2012.
- A. C. Campos, Reformas Da Saúde: Fio Condutor, Almeida, Coimbra, Portugal, 2008.
- M. Patterson, M. Nolal, J. Rick, J. Brown, R. Adams, and G. Musson, From Metrics to Meaning: Culture Change and Quality of Acute Hospital Care for Older People, National Institute for Health Research Service Delivery and Organisation Programme, HMSO, London, UK, 2011.
- E. Capezuti, M. Boltz, D. Cline, et al., “Nurses improving care for healthsystem elders—a model for optimising the geriatric nursing practice environment,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 21, pp. 3117–3125, 2012.
- I. L. Abraham, M. M. Bottrell, K. R. Dash et al., “Profiling care and benchmarking best practice in care of hospitalized elderly,” The Nursing Clinics of North America, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 237–255, 1999.
- H. Kim, E. Capezuti, M. Boltz, S. Fairchild, T. Fulmer, and M. Mezey, “Factor structure of the geriatric care environment scale,” Nursing Research, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 339–347, 2007.
- M. Boltz, E. Capezuti, H. Kim, S. Fairchild, and M. Secic, “Factor structure of the geriatric institutional assessment profile's professional issues scales,” Research in Gerontological Nursing, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 126–134, 2010.
- M. Boltz, E. Capezuti, S. Bowar-Ferres et al., “Changes in the geriatric care environment associated with Nurses Improving Care for HealthSystem Elders (NICHE),” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 176–185, 2008.
- H. Kim, E. Capezuti, M. Boltz, and S. Fairchild, “The nursing practice environment and nurse-perceived quality of geriatric care in hospitals,” Western Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 480–495, 2009.
- J. A. L. Mckenzie, A. A. Blandford, V. H. Menec, M. Boltz, and E. Capezuti, “Hospital nurses' perceptions of the geriatric care environment in one Canadian health care region,” Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 181–187, 2011.
- M. Boltz, E. Capezuti, and N. Shabbat, “Building a framework for a geriatric acute care model,” Leadership in Health Services, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 334–360, 2010.
- Nusing Council, Deontological Code of Nurses, Nusing Council, Lisbon, Portugal, 2005.
- B. Parke and P. Brand, “An Elder-Friendly Hospital: translating a dream into reality,” Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 62–76, 2004.
- B. Parke and N. L. Chappell, “Transactions between older people and the hospital environment: a social ecological analysis,” Journal of Aging Studies, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 115–124, 2010.
- Portugal, Directorate-General for Health, Centros de Saúde e Unidades Hospitalares: Recursos e produção do SNS: Ano de 2010, Directorate-General for Health, Lisbon, Portugal, 2011.
- M. Boltz, E. Capezuti, S. Bowar-Ferres et al., “Hospital nurses' perception of the geriatric nurse practice environment,” Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 282–289, 2008.
- S. H. Kagan, “Revisiting interdisciplinary teamwork in geriatric acute care,” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 133–136, 2010.
- S. Robinson and S. Mercer, “Older adult care in the emergency department: identifying strategies that foster best practice,” Journal of Gerontological Nursing, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 40–47, 2007.
- C. T. Kovner, M. Mezey, and C. Harrington, “Who cares for older adults? Workforce implications of an aging society,” Health Affairs, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 78–89, 2002.
- G. Bednash, C. Fagin, and M. Mezey, “Geriatric content in nursing programs: a wake-up call,” Nursing Outlook, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 149–150, 2003.
- G. Bednash, M. Mezey, and E. Tagliareni, “The Hartford Geriatric Nursing Initiative experience in geriatric nursing education: looking back, looking forward,” Nursing Outlook, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 228–235, 2011.
- L. J. Stierle, M. Mezey, M. J. Schumann et al., “Professional Development: the nurse competence in aging initiative: encouraging expertise in the care of older adults,” American Journal of Nursing, vol. 106, no. 9, pp. 93–96, 2006.
- Portugal, Directorate-General for Health, Centros de Saúde e Unidades Hospitalares: Recursos e produção do SNS: Ano de 2010 [Health centers and hospital units: Resources and production of the NHS: Year 2010], Directorate-General for Health, Lisbon, Portugal, 2011.
- D. Wild, A. Grove, M. Martin et al., “Principles of good practice for the translation and cultural adaptation process for patient-reported outcomes (PRO) measures. Report of the ISPOR Task Force for Translation and Cultural Adaptation,” Value in Health, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 94–104, 2005.
- A. B. Costello and J. W. Osborne, “Best practices in exploratory factor analysis: four recommendations for getting the most from your analysis,” Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1–9, 2005.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson, and R. L. Tatham, Multivariate Data Analysis, Pearson Education, Cranbury, NJ, USA, 7th edition, 2009.
- J. H. Kahn, “Factor analysis in counseling psychology research, training, and practice: principles, advances, and applications,” Counseling Psychologist, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 684–718, 2006.
- R. L. Worthington and T. A. Whittaker, “Scale development research: a content analysis and recommendations for best practices,” Counseling Psychologist, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 806–838, 2006.
- M. Boltz, E. Capezuti, H. Kim, S. Fairchild, and M. Secic, “Test-retest reliability of the geriatric institutional assessment profile,” Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 242–252, 2009.
- M. D. Naylor, D. Brooten, R. Campbell et al., “Comprehensive discharge planning and home follow-up of hospitalized elders: a randomized clinical trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 7, pp. 613–620, 1999.
- N. Fahy, “Who is shaping the future of European health systems?” British Medical Journal, vol. 344, Article ID e1712, 2012.
- T. Fulmer, M. Mezey, M. Bottrell et al., “Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE): using outcomes and Benchmarks for evidence-based practice,” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 121–127, 2002.
- J. Pfaff, “The geriatric resource nurse model: a culture change,” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 140–144, 2002.
- J. Fitzpatrick, T. K. Salines, L. J. O'Connor, et al., “Nursing care quality initiative for hospitalized elders and their families,” Journal of Nursing Care Quality, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 156–161, 2004.
- M. Mezey, M. Boltz, J. Esterson, and E. Mitty, “Evolving models of geriatric nursing care,” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 11–15, 2005.