EEG/MEG Signal ProcessingView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Anant Hegde, Deniz Erdogmus, Deng S. Shiau, Jose C. Principe, Chris J. Sackellares, "Clustering Approach to Quantify Long-Term Spatio-Temporal Interactions in Epileptic Intracranial Electroencephalography", Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience, vol. 2007, Article ID 083416, 18 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/83416
Clustering Approach to Quantify Long-Term Spatio-Temporal Interactions in Epileptic Intracranial Electroencephalography
Abnormal dynamical coupling between brain structures is believed to be primarily responsible for the generation of epileptic seizures and their propagation. In this study, we attempt to identify the spatio-temporal interactions of an epileptic brain using a previously proposed nonlinear dependency measure. Using a clustering model, we determine the average spatial mappings in an epileptic brain at different stages of a complex partial seizure. Results involving 8 seizures from 2 epileptic patients suggest that there may be a fixed pattern associated with regional spatio-temporal dynamics during the interictal to pre-post-ictal transition.
- L. D. Iasemidis, J. C. Principe, J. M. Czaplewski, R. L. Gilman, S. N. Roper, and J. C. Sackellares, “Spatiotemporal transition to epileptic seizures: a nonlinear dynamical analysis of scalp and intracranial EEG recordings,” in Spatiotemporal Models in Biological and Artificial Systems, F. H. Lopes da Silva, J. C. Principe, and L. B. Almeida, Eds., pp. 81–89, IOS Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1997.
- L. D. Iasemidis, L. D. Olson, J. C. Sackellares, and R. S. Savit, “Time dependencies in the occurrences of epileptic seizures,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 81–94, 1994.
- K. J. Blinowska, R. Kuś, and M. Kamiński, “Granger causality and information flow in multivariate processes,” Physical Review E, vol. 70, no. 5, Article ID 050902, 4 pages, 2004.
- J. Arnhold, P. Grassberger, K. Lehnertz, and C. E. Elger, “A robust method for detecting interdependences: application to intracranially recorded EEG,” Physica D, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 419–430, 1999.
- A. Hegde, D. Erdogmus, Y. N. Rao, J. C. Principe, and J. B. Gao, “SOM-based similarity index measure: quantifying interactions between multivariate structures,” in Proceedings of the 13th IEEE Workshop on Neural Networks for Signal Processing (NNSP '03), pp. 819–828, Toulouse, France, September 2003.
- A. Hegde, D. Erdogmus, and J. C. Principe, “Synchronization analysis of epileptic ECOG data using SOM-based SI measure,” in Proceedings of the 26th Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '04), vol. 2, pp. 952–955, San Francisco, Calif, USA, September 2004.
- S. Haykin, Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, Prentice-Hall, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1999.
- J. C. Principe, N. R. Euliano, and W. C. Lefebvre, Neural and Adaptive Systems: Fundamentals through Simulations, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- A. Hegde, D. Erdogmus, D. S. Shiau, J. C. Principe, and C. J. Sackellares, “Quantifying spatio-temporal dependencies in epileptic ECOG,” Signal Processing, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 2082–2100, 2005, special issue on Neuronal Coordination in the Brain: A Signal Processing Perspective.
- J. A. García, J. Fdez-Valdivia, F. J. Cortijo, and R. Molina, “A dynamic approach for clustering data,” Signal Processing, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 181–196, 1995.
- E. Keogh, J. Lin, and W. Truppel, “Clustering of time series subsequences is meaningless: implications for previous and future research,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM '03), pp. 115–122, Melbourne, Fla, USA, November 2003.
- A. Y. Ng, M. I. Jordan, and Y. Weiss, “On spectral clustering: analysis and an algorithm,” in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 14, pp. 849–856, The MIT Press, London, UK, 2002.
- J. Malik, S. Belongie, T. Leung, and J. Shi, “Contour and texture analysis for image segmentation,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 7–27, 2001.
- L. D. Iasemidis, K. E. Pappas, J. C. Principe, and J. C. Sackellares, “Spatiotemporal dynamics of human epileptic seizures,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Experimental Chaos Conference, R. G. Harrison, L. Weiping, W. Ditto, L. Pecora, M. Spano, and S. Vohra, Eds., pp. 26–30, World Scientific, Singapore, August 1996.
- L. D. Iasemidis, P. Pardalos, J. C. Sackellares, and D. S. Shiau, “Quadratic binary programming and dynamical system approach to determine the predictability of epileptic seizures,” Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 9–26, 2001.
- F. Takens, “Detecting strange attractors in turbulence,” in Dynamical Systems and Turbulence, D. A. Rand and L.-S. Young, Eds., vol. 898 of Lecture Notes in Mathematics, pp. 366–381, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1981.
- A. Hegde, D. Erdogmus, and J. C. Principe, “Spatio-temporal clustering of epileptic ECOG,” in Proceedings of the 27th Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '05), pp. 4199–4202, Shanghai, China, September 2005.
- D. Prichard and J. Theiler, “Generating surrogate data for time series with several simultaneously measured variables,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 951–954, 1994.
- T. Schreiber, “Measuring information transfer,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 461–464, 2000.
- T. Schreiber and A. Schmitz, “Improved surrogate data for nonlinearity tests,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 635–638, 1996.
Copyright © 2007 Anant Hegde et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.