Table of Contents Author Guidelines Submit a Manuscript
Case Reports in Emergency Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 781809, 3 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/781809
Case Report

Aerodigestive Tract Burn from Ingestion of Microwaved Food

St. Luke’s University Hospital and Health Network, 801 Ostrum Street, Bethlehem, PA 18015, USA

Received 15 February 2013; Accepted 13 March 2013

Academic Editors: E. M. Deshaies, A. K. Exadaktylos, K. Imanaka, and C. H. Loh

Copyright © 2013 Michael Silberman and Rebecca Jeanmonod. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Aerodigestive tract burns represent a rare but potentially devastating injury pattern throughout the world. Although the majority of these injuries do not require intervention, these burns have the potential for poor outcomes. Traditionally this disease has been caused by superheated gases found in explosions or fire-related injury. However, as technology advances, it brings novel methods for injury that require physician awareness of potential hazards. We describe a case of laryngeal and esophageal thermal burn caused by a microwave heated food bolus.